Deep breathing can reduce pain

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Deep breathing can reduce pain

Postby cariad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi I saw this in yesterday's Daily Mail and wondered if anyone had heard of it or is using it.
Basically most healthy adults take between 12-18 breaths a minute. New research shows that slowing this down to as few as 6 a minute can have a powerful pain bursting effect.
US researchers studied a group of healthy middle aged women and a group of women with fibro-'a condition that causes pain and for which there is no obvious cause'.
Both groups were exposed to probes that generated heat against their hands at different temperatures.Scientists wanted to measure how much pain they could tolerate. Taking half the amount of normal breaths, both groups of women rated the pain as less intense than when they breathed normally.

One theory is that slow breathing reduces pain by having a direct effect on the sympathetic nervous system. These are fibres in the central nervous system which help to control blood flow and skin temperature. Studies have shown that dampening down the sympathetic nervous system can block pain.
Now everybody....a deep breath and hold!!
:lol:
cariad
UKFM Member

Re: Deep breathing can reduce pain

Postby gillshutt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:02 pm

It does help my costo pain a little.. so maybe that's why.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Re: Deep breathing can reduce pain

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:21 pm

It's not a new idea - deep slow breathing is relaxing. I used to be able to slow my pulse by 10-15 beats a minute through breathing techiques.

Definitely address this for Fibro though. It will help your posture too.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping