[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - if you have problems with spelling

if you have problems with spelling

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

if you have problems with spelling

Postby velvet » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:47 pm

i dont know about anyone else but i know with this fibro my spelling when typing has gone to pot - and it can be difficult for me to pick up on my errors. then i was using a friends computer and every spelling mistake i made was automatically underlined with a red line. whilst some were apostrophes left out and capital letters and some were words i know are right but arent in the dictionary like "fibro" others were the actual mistakes - and as they underlined the second i finished them it made it loads easier to see where i was going wrong. i thought this is wonderful i want it and asked my friend who told me it was mozilla firefox - i has automatic spell check for all text boxes deeper than one line - ideal for forums.

anyway i have downloaded firefox and am using it - it is very very similar to internet explorer just odd things in different places and instead opening multiple windows it uses tabs. i did have to download the english dictionary to get the spell checker working but that wasnt a problem.

if anyone is interested go to www.mozilla.com/firefox/ and click the firefox 3.6 free download and follow instructions. once it is down return to the site click the bit at the top that says add-ons in the dark blue title bar then when the page loads type english dictionary where it says search for add-ons, click the green arrow and it the first one in the list. click on it and follow instructions.

and there you have it your typing automatically checked as you type - when you are online in a forum!! :woot:
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Re: if you have problems with spelling

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:46 pm

I like the spell check in firefox, make use of it all the time. We've been using it for a few years as our main browser. It doesn't seem to be the target of attacks like Internet Explorer. Only time I use IE these days is for eBay listings as it gives the advanced photo options for selling, whereas firefox only has the basic photo options.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby gillshutt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:39 pm

irefox won't let me log on to this site :( so it's no use to me. You'll have to bear with me as far as spelling mistakes are concerned... sorry.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:17 pm

thats odd gillshut - i am on firefox now (its underlining everything lol) so no reason it shouldnt let you log on to here? maybe we have a techno geek who could help out?
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:25 pm

I use ABC spell checker its an add on on firefox, when you have finished writing you click on the ABC (on tool bar) and all the mistakes turn red you just click on the word and it will give you a list of words which it thinks you wanted. Simple and easy to use. :D
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Miss sleepy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:06 pm

I use google chrome and it does the same (funnily enough its just hilighted google as being spelt wrong!!!)
Never judge a day by the weather.
The best things in life aren't things.
Speak softly and wear a loud shirt.
Goals are deceptive - the unaimed arrow never misses.
Beauty is internal - looks mean nothing.
No rain - no rainbows.
Miss sleepy
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:31 pm

yes the firefox spell checker doesnt recognise firefox either - daft really
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby KateXXXXXX » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:46 am

Most spell checkers use a standard dictionary and don't recognise any proper nouns other than really common ones and you usually have to opt for British English to get real spelling.

I have a theory that things like spelling get worse and are worse when we have a flare because fibro affects concentration. You may notice that you are also less able to keep track of punctuation at these times.

I managed to teach English up to A level for some years, and do an MA in modern lit, despite being dyslexic. It's not a bar to doing things, but you do have to learn that it WILL take longer and you need a proof-reader, even when you have run your precious words through the splung chuckoler... :lol: I do notice that I have to check even more frequently and that I make far more typo and spelling corrections when I have a flare. I'm possibly more conscious of the process after all the teaching. I certainly had plenty of patience and understanding of working with such a learning difficulty, and more than most other teachers not trained as SENCO's. I knew from the inside how frustrating it can be. There was NO help when I was at school: most of the research into conditions like Dyslexia was still being done when I was at college (which is where I found out what the problem was!) in the 70's.

Just be patient and kind to yourself on days like this, and run things through the spelling and grammar checkers if you have the energy. They won't get everything right (and can make some wonderfully funny guesses!), but they can help your message get through the fog. Don't worry if you don't have the energy: we can usually still get the salient points disentangled from the confetti of extra letters and missing full stops. 8)
Kate XXXXXX R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
KateXXXXXX
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Well said :)

Also most of us can understand what you are typing anyway since it's similar to the stuff that comes out of our fingers... so don't worry too much about it.

I have a friend with similar problems to FM... between us we can say th estupidest things but we both understand each other... anyone else listening in would think we were mentally deranged but we're happy :D
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:07 pm

i dont worry so much on this forum but i use others for the general public where they are not going to ahbve a clue what that last jumble meant (have obviously) and i find it so useful that firefox underlines everything i might have wrong - most i ignore like "dont" cause its just an apostrophe but it quickly highlights proper errors. i am also learning some long term ingrained errors i would have sworn i was spelling correctly which is amusing and i like to know i am learning and improving. the only problems left are out instead of our and things like that but hey i am getting there :D
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby Brimstone » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:31 am

Of course spelling checkers are not infallible as the following poem illustrates......

Eye Halve a Spelling Chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

-- Sauce unknown
brimstone

Boxes make good containers for cereals but not for thinking.
Brimstone
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:20 am

Hee hee love that Brimstone :lol:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby velvet » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:43 am

brilliant :D
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping