[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - As anyone tried .........

As anyone tried .........

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

As anyone tried .........

Postby hamstergirl » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:16 pm

CherryActive Concentrate or Capsules

I have just been reading the December issue of the fibromyalgia family magazine. There is an advert stating that a study was carried out and drinking this Juice for two weeks lowered pain in women suffering from fibromyalgia.

I have just looked on the Holland and Barrett website for these and the concentrate for 473ml is £12.99 and for 30 capsules £13.99. These are not cheap if so just wondered if anybody had tried them.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Re: As anyone tried .........

Postby velvet » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:06 pm

:shock: at those prices i would imagine its more a case of women not noticing the pain so much because they are worrying about their bank balance
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Oddly enough I crave cherries and raspberries and can never afford them out of season; they say they're anti inflammatory and yet fibro isn't supposedly inflammatory....my ribs, one shoulder and upper spine don't half feel inflamed at times though!
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:41 am

Ugh, they haven't done any proper studies yet. As with many things, it may help some people, but it's one of those that may help something other than FIbro that the Fibro sufferers happen to have as well. It's very expensive IMO. Some support groups are pushing it way too much.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby KateXXXXXX » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:52 am

I have nothing to offer on the benefits of cherry concentrate. I do know a little about cherry farming. I live in the midsts of cherry and apple orchards...

Cherry trees have a commercially viable cropping life of 15 years. They take 3-5 years to come to full cropping maturity, depending on the variety. Modern orchards are all stocked with dwarf trees because you cannot, as a farmer, get insurance for people climbing ladders to pick fruit, so 90% of the fruit has to be reachable from the ground for an average height person... Cherries HAVE to be hand picked. This makes them expensive to pick. And smaller trees are easier to net against deprivations by birds! Birds can eat half your crop if you let them!

Cherries have a cropping life of 15 years. This means they need to be planted AT LEAST 3 years before you pick the first crop. They are just replanting the orchard opposite my house. They grubbed the last lot of trees out 5 years ago. The first year after they grub cherries, they cannot do anything: the field lies fallow, and they grub up as many of the roots as possible, and weedkill the rest. If you plant cherries again straight away, they get all sorts of diseases and die. After that, the field can be ploughed and you grow a rotation of cereal crops (usually wheat) and nytrogen fixers (pulses, usually rape seed) for four years. The last wheat crop came off the field last summer, so now the stakes are going in for the new trees.

It costs thirty thousand pounds per acre to plant cherry trees. They have to be staked and planted by hand... One acre of cherries does not yield a full working wage for one man.

Remember: between the last crop from one set of trees and the first crop from the next is going to be between seven and ten years.

This is why cherries and cherry concentrate are expensive. Buy English cherries when they are in season, make jam, preserve them, pickle them in brandy or kirsch, and freeze them if you can't eat them all.

Things I do with fresh cherries:

Eat them!
Put them in fruit salads
Make jam
Put them in Rhumtopft
Freeze them for pies and things
Pulp them and freeze the pulp as ice lollies!
preserve them in kirsch for making black Forrest cakes...

We moved here 25 years ago, just after the orchard was replanted last time, so I have observed the whole cycle. And as we buy cherries from the farmer, I got chatting with him last summer about when they were going to replant. :)

Cherries will always be expensive. But, like us, they're worth it!
Kate XXXXXX R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
KateXXXXXX
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping