[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Gadgets & What Nots!

Gadgets & What Nots!

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gadgets & What Nots!

Postby AngelBear » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:54 pm

Do any of you have gadgets, adaptions and "what nots" around your home to help you live a more "normal" life?
A smile lifts both you and others
Christine
AngelBear
UKFM Member

Re: Gadgets & What Nots!

Postby velvet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 pm

i have a what-not adaption called a man - doesnt work very well though :tongueout:
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:47 pm

Yep, I still have a few. :)

Bathboard (good for propping books on even if you don't need it to transfer! :lol: )
Jar/bottle opener
Long handled dustpan
Bar stools in kitchen (not really an adaptation, but very useful for when I'm tired)
Sccoba floor washer (not a usual "adaptation/aid" but it should count as it washes the floors for me and saves a huge amount of my energy - we're looking to get a Roomba vacuum cleaner as well)
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:09 pm

i have a long handled dust pan and a bath board - didnt think of the first as an adaption and forgot the second one lol :roll:
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby fairy dust » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:11 pm

ive had some adaptations done by OT i have a shower chair and grab rail in the shower,i have a raised toilet seat with handles, i also have hand rails all the way up the stairs, and i ghave a commode in my bedroom as our bathroom is down stairs, for anything else i need i just use my hubby :lol: :grouphug:
please bear with me - my brain works fine its the body that lets me down !
fairy dust
UKFM Member

Postby RowanWolf » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:17 pm

I have a long grab rail up the stairs, a grab rail in the shower, those long grabbers for picking things up, a folding stool for the kitchen and bathroom, an electric armchair, some small gadgets in the kitchen, for example to make it easier to open cans and tins, a crutch and a walking stick and an electric heatpad. Have a wheelchair in the garage in case I'm out for a day..oh and a raised toilet seat.
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.

That which doesn't kill me...had better run pretty damn fast.
RowanWolf
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:09 pm

i have been in my friends grans house and she had one of the raised toilet seats and i thought wow this is so much easier and less painful - but havent got the guts to get one for myself :oops: i cant deal with explaining it to my OH and visitors :oops:
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:21 pm

I have had some adaptations done by OT as well ie:- walk in shower and seat, crab rails and loo fitted downstairs.
Rails both sides of wall going up stairs, crab rails in up stairs bathroom.
Steps to make it easier to get out my back door. Jar/tin easy openers.

We bought a reclining sofas. Had to put the phone on the table beside the sofa for easy reach.
Have a 8 in 1 remote so not lots of tv buttons laying around. Ceiling light has a fan fitted, its great in the summer.
Clip on fans for the bedroom.

Have a walking stick to help me stay on my feet. Cant think of anymore at mo but i am sure i have more Gadgets :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby KateXXXXXX » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Electric can opener!

Husband.

Giant Mutant Ninja Teenaged son.

Long Ikea shoe horn with a hook handle: great for reaching things I drop and out of high cupboards as well as putting shoes on.

Eyelet sewing kit for the sewing machine! Saves HOURS of tough hand stitching! :yikes: :D

Rotary cutters: saves a lot of scissor work...
Kate XXXXXX R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
KateXXXXXX
UKFM Member

Postby RowanWolf » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:20 pm

How did you get an walk in shower with seat from your OT? Mine said they didn't go that far.
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.

That which doesn't kill me...had better run pretty damn fast.
RowanWolf
UKFM Member

Postby fairy dust » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:41 am

please bear with me - my brain works fine its the body that lets me down !
fairy dust
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:11 am

I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:17 am

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby nanatigtig » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:34 am

this best gadget if you can call it that, is an idea my son had for opening jars,

you simply use the bottle opener on a butterfly can opener to relese the air lock of the jar, simply lever the lid you can hear the lid hiss or pop then twist as normal it works every time, no need for muscles or a man!

tig

ps even my 84yr old neighbour uses this method now!
nanatigtig
UKFM Member

Postby AngelBear » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:34 pm

I have a kettle tipper after pouring boiling water over my hand, a bottle/jar opener, a perching stool in the kitchen, an easy reacher. A step in the bathroom, as our shower is over the bath and I couldn't use it otherwise. A raised chair in the sitting room, and a swivel seat for the car. Plus walking sticks and the most recent addition is a wheelchair.
AngelBear
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping