[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Memory foam matress?

Memory foam matress?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Memory foam matress?

Postby BexHale » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:29 am

Hello, I'm thinking of buying a memory foam mattress because i suffer from severe pain in shoulders and hips. I find it hard to sleep due to the pain. I'm wondering if anyone else has bought one and noticed a difference?
Bex
Live the life you love. Love the life you live.
BexHale
UKFM Member

Re: Memory foam matress?

Postby gillshutt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 am

I'm hoping to get one soon. I've got a mattress topper which has served me well for a while but I can now feel the mattress through it on bad days. Most people who have one praise it highly and since hubby has a bad back I might be able to persuade him as soon as we can afford it.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:17 pm

I find my memory topper a great help, i used to wake in the morning so stiff and in lots of pain.
The foam topper is a great help, i also have a memory pillow. (normal shape)
Amazon sale them cheap.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby nanatigtig » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: memory foam matress and pillows
by nanatigtig » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:00 am

We wouldn't be with out our memory form mattress, it took a bit of getting used to, the best thing about it is no roll together OH can turn over without disturbing me and vis a vis, the best investment we ever made!

This is an earlier post on the subject I still love my matress and the OH
nanatigtig
UKFM Member

Postby BexHale » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks everyone, I will have a look on Amazon now! Ah what I'd give to have a pain free night's sleep! :)
BexHale
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm

OK, I am sure everyone has worked out by now that very little works for me, this includes memory foam mattresses.

We have had 2 and I am completely incapable after sleeping on one. I do not know whether this is down to the fibro, the EDS or the arthritis. I have yet to find any mattress that works, the best thing I have tried so far is a wooden floor covered in a couple of duvets but that just isn't practical lol.

Before splashing out on a whole memory foam mattress, it might be worth getting a good memory foam topper and seeing if that helps at all, if it does, then maybe move on to a memory foam mattress.

The other thing with memory foam mattresses (and also an issue I had with sleeping on the floor) is the temperature issues associated with fibro. Memory foam mattress make me so god damned hot that I sweat and sweat and sweat and the first memory foam mattress I had, had to be thrown out because of this. I would wake up, literally in a pool of sweat. Because I co sleep as well (with my baby), the baby would also be soaked. Gruesome. I had the opposite problem with being on the floor, I was just too cold all the time PMSL (a hard woman to please, that I be). I know that for very young babies who aren't capable of sorting out their own body temp, memory mattresses are not advised for them because of this, they do over heat on them, which might be why I cannot tolerate them.

Alas, as a result, I sleep separately from my DH who is only able to sleep well on a memory foam mattress (I am GUTTED), I am left with the whole secret sneaking off to see him in the middle of the night like naughty teenager lol.

That said, I know loadsa people who get on really well with them, the DH included and who would not swap them for the world, but if you do have temp issues or if you know that softer beds don't work for you, it might be a better option to look for a different kind or maybe a firm mattress with a memory foam topping............

(OK, this post looks really down about memory foam mattresses, I would like to add here that in the past 7 years I have tried about 8 different kinds of mattresses and none have helped as yet, it has been incredibly expensive, especially since I cannot work and I have officially given up mattress hunting, if anyone else has any mattress ideas, I would love to hear from you!)!
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby BexHale » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi everyone thanks for your advice. I got my foam mattress topper and contour pillow yesterday! It really does work I had the best sleep! The pillow's pretty good for my shoulder pain. Hallelujah!!
BexHale
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping