[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Sleep disorders and 5HTP

Sleep disorders and 5HTP

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sleep disorders and 5HTP

Postby Brimstone » Sun May 16, 2010 2:18 am

I came across something recently called 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) that helps induce sleep by raising the level of the neuro-transmitter serotonin in the brain and central nervous system. It is also used for anxiety and depression, and even weight loss due to its action as an appetite suppressor. Maybe some of you have tried it, and I notice it has been mentioned on the Forum a couple of times, but not recently.

Apparently it is a natural supplement that doesn’t need a prescription and is sold over the counter. Holland and Barrett sell it at £16 for 60 capsules. However it should not be taken with other medications like anti-depressants, especially ones that are designed to increase serotonin, so some sites recommend consulting a doctor first, while also conceding that most doctors are not clued up on supplements.

Information is vague since clinical trials have not proved conclusive, some reporting side effects like nausea and heartburn, and others none. However I thought it worthy of mention since it is also known to reduce FM pain, possibly because of the better quality of sleep generated.

One of the more useful sites for information on this is in fact the Holland & Barret one:- http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/VF/Hea ... /5-HTP.htm

An interesting side snippet is that due to its involvement in impulse control, reduced serotonin levels can lead to addictive behaviour such as in gambling and such like resulting from low will power. So if you find you can’t tear yourself away from the one-arm bandits, now you know why. :wink:
brimstone

Boxes make good containers for cereals but not for thinking.
Brimstone
UKFM Member

Re: Sleep disorders and 5HTP

Postby cariad » Sun May 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Hi I took 5HTY for about 6 months but it made absolutely no difference to my pain level. But we are all different and you may react differently to me. :wave:
cariad
UKFM Member

Postby loopylizzy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:15 am

hi i have found this has helped with my sleep and i do feel a little better during the day...... i dont feel so exhausted so quickly .have only been diagnosed since december so am not taking any meds other than paracetamol when neccassary. this forum is extremly helpful
loopylizzy
UKFM Newbie

Postby mand » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:26 pm

im seriously looking into this at the mo....lack of sleep, pain, headaches, feeling low....im on co-codamol and herbal sleeping tablets maybe 1 or 2 nights a week...what is the reccomended strength, can anybody advise..... :dunno:
mand
UKFM Member

Postby ladyofwales » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:44 pm

I started taking 5HTP a few weeks ago. Holand and barrett advised me that they may help. I also saw them mentioned in a book i was given which had a few pages on fibromyalgia. The book said 5 tablets a day but the bottle from H & B says 2 tablets. I am sticking to the 2 tablets a day for now. I have been told it will take about 6-8 weeks to see a difference so i will post back once i know.
I do hope they help. :D
ladyofwales
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:01 pm

As well as talking to the people in H&B, did you ask advice from a pharmacist or another medical professional?? If you're on any prescribed medication, it's always best to seek advice before starting taking herbal/complementary/alternative remedies, just in case there is a chance of interaction etc :cup1: :cup1:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ladyofwales » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Ye, my doctor did not know what it was, she had offered me a few different things but everything so far has not worked and given me bad side affects. i am not taking anything that will be affected. Cheers. :D
ladyofwales
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:42 pm

Glad to hear it :clap: :clap: Just wondering, with you saying your GP doesn't have much knowledge of the meds used for FM and CFS, what had been suggested, you'd tried??

If you have a bit of a hunt and search thru things, you should find some more topics about 5HTP. There are some on here who have found it helps them, and with there being a difference in dosage between the book you have and what H&B have said, it might give you an idea of how much others have/are taking, as well as how long before any effects were felt etc.

Hope they make a difference for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:07 pm

:fingerscrossed: they help ladyofwales :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby mand » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi ive been on 5htp since september....i take 100mg in evening, i have noticed im feeling a bit more refreshed than i used to be in the mornings i still wake in the night but i can drift off again, getting less headaches, used to be daily :roll: but still get migraine types every month :roll: hormones, fatigue i get it but sometimes a bit less delibitating or am i getting used to the signs and resting myself.... i feel better in my wellbeing....pain i use co-codamol but looking into somthing else to manage that :D , hope its having a good effect on you, im interested to know :fingerscrossed: ...........mandy
mand
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Sounds like there are some positive things happening mand :clap: :clap: :clap:

It may be due to the 5htp, or could be that you're learning what your signs and triggers are, or it could be a mix of everything. Whatever it is, feeling better in yourself is always a good thing, so enjoy the changes that are happening.

I think I've replied to your post about different meds, hope you can find something that makes things even better for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Sazzle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:04 pm

It has been suggested to me that I take this too but unfortunately it is contra indicated with the meds I am on, as I am on antidepressants and also on Tramadol as part of the pain management. Could do with some help sleeping. Last night I was only sleeping lightly til about 7am then I zonked out.
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Postby ribbons » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Saw an article on this recently..and was looking on here for comments. When it says you shouldn't be taking it with anti depressants are they talking about ami's? I was thinking about talking to my Gp but if someone has spoken to their doc already I won't waste the trip x
ribbons
UKFM Member

Postby RugbyLiz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 am

Hi, just wanted to say I have had FB for over 10 yrs, after taken lose dose amitryptiline for 3 yrs I came off those and tried 5HTP for 6 months. At first it worked really well but only took a low dose, however last month the FB bit back with a vengance! Using my symptoms come one or two at a time, however suddenly I had No sleep, painful muscles and joints, numb patches of skin, burning, patches of skin, pins an needles, headaches, Ibsen all at the same time for wks without respite. Further research suggested that this does happen to some people, so back to low dose anti depression for me! however that said I did have an excellent few wks on it where I felt normal for quite a while :-D That said as some people have pointed out we're all different so hopefully it will work for some of you and I personally think it was well worth trying :-D Good Luck x
RugbyLiz
UKFM Newbie

Postby Elspeth » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:22 pm

I find it amazing and I've been on 40mg duloxetine, tramadol and cocodamol, I take 100mg at night and have had no side effects.

I sleep deeper and longer and feel more refreshed.
Elspeth
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping