Help, undiagnosed. Do I have FM?

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help, undiagnosed. Do I have FM?

Postby jessicafarley » Thu May 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Hello, my name is Jess, I'm 20 and have been suffering on and off with different symptoms... thought I had depression or a sleep problem. A friend of mine who is a doctor suggested that I might have fibromyalgia after I told her some symptoms. After doing some research I have nearly ALL the symptoms from muscle pains, tiredness, depression, lack of concentration, ibs, bloating, anxiety, sensitivity to light etc. Unfortunately I live in Greece and not only are the doctors expensive but it will be almost impossible to get an accurate diagnosis here, let alone be able to afford medicine!! Do I have FM????
& I was wondering if there was any over the counter anti depressives I could buy? I find my main symptoms are tiredness and depression and very often sharp pains down my spine and in my neck... any advice on what medicine I could buy without being prescribed...?
It's just getting me down, I have break downs all the time, serious anxiety attacks and depression....I am always tired and I don't have the energy or motivation to do ANYTHING!! And I will start working 13 hours a day soon for 2 months straight.. That is NOT going to help is it!!!

So glad I found this website, any help or advice will be very greatly appreciated. :)
Jessica... x
jessicafarley
UKFM Newbie

Re: Help, undiagnosed. Do I have FM?

Postby denys » Thu May 27, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi Jess

No 13 hour days are not going to help if you have FM or CFS/ME. You really need to get a diagnosis
FM is a very complex syndrome and medication is only one part of treatment, what works for one person will not always work for another.

Dosage can be another facet as some medications need to be built up slowly etc. So I dont know whether any over the counter medication would work?? Again this is why you need a firm diagnosis, you dont say if you have lived in Greece all your life or whether you are from Britain, if the latter is there any way you could come back to get sorted :dunno: :dunno:

Maybe some other members may be able to advise you more, sorry I can't help :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 28, 2010 9:56 am

Hi

You can also get a diagnoses for a physiotherapist....

You can also ask the chemist what medication is ok for your symptoms...

I wouldnt want to tell you what to try just in case its not FM. You do really need to see a doctor

Apart from that how about massage? that can help relax the body down and maybe some hebal remedies like st.johns wort (spk to pharmacist)
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby LinzWorld » Fri May 28, 2010 2:57 pm

No-one online can diagnsoe you I'm afraid. Although your symptoms may fit with Fibro, they might also fit with other conditions that would need to be ruled out before you got a Fibro diagnosis, for example Lupus, Polymyalgia, Chrons, etc.

I have no knowledge about what is availble OTC in Greece, but there are no OTC anti-depressants available in the UK beyond St Johns Wort, which is a herbal supplement. It can be dangerous to self-diagnose and medicate without having had any tests, as you may end up masking symptoms of a different condition.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby jessicafarley » Fri May 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for the replies... No I have only lived here for the last year and I could come back to get it sorted, but due to my job and lack of money i won't be able to until October. Yeh I understand no-one here can diagnose me but after telling my symptoms to a friend who is a doctor they are convinced this is what I have but I haven't had an examination. I might see how much a physiotherapist costs as they are more likely to know what it is. Fibromyalgia is actually a Greek work which means muscle pains... so maybe they will know what it is, or maybe they will think it's only to do with the muscles as that is what my Greek friends believe it to be, and none of the other symptoms.
I am going to try some exercise, but my IBS, depression, anxiety, back pains are getting really bad and I am constantly unable to concentrate and my speech is always muddled. :?
I started getting problems when I moved to university for a year when I was 18-19. I've always thought I was depressed and didn't consider any of the other symptoms as relevant I just noticed that I was tired and down. My back pains I thought was from being sat at a computer for too long. Depression runs in my family and my Dad took St. Johns for a few years. Maybe I'll ask him for advice... there are no side effects are there? I mean I can try exercise and take the pills before I go to a physio... I can get St. Johns over a counter and thanks for the massage advice I find that if my boyfriend gives me one I completely relax and sleep like a baby!!
Did everyone here get diagnosed by a doctor? What test did they do?? A check to see if certain muscles were painfull?
Thanks so much for your help!!! 8)
Jessica...x
jessicafarley
UKFM Newbie

Postby LinzWorld » Sat May 29, 2010 10:09 am

You will need to have a number of tests done to rule out other conditions before a definite Fibro diagnosis can be given. Even if you and your doctor or physio are convinced you have Fibro, without testing there is no way to know if you also have something else.

Here is some info on the diagnosis of Fibro:
http://www.fibroaction.org/Pages/How-Is ... nosed.aspx

St Johns Wort has a number of potential side effects (as does anything with properly active ingredients!), including a number of interactions with various medications including contraceptives:
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Antidep ... s-Wort.htm
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping