Winter survival tips

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Winter survival tips

Postby ravelling » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:00 pm

I'm knitting myself some fingerless gloves to wear while typing - my house is lovely and warm but my office at school is pretty draughty. :?

And I'm getting myself a microwavable wheat bag, as recommended by another fibro sufferer.

I've also developed a hot chocolate habit that might see me at The Priory before Spring comes around :lol:

What would other people here recommend for winter survival?

Gill
www.ravelling.blogspot.com

blogging my attempts to ravel up my life...
ravelling
UKFM Member

Postby kayjay » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:55 pm

Well I go to bed every night of the year with at least two wheaties to soothe my aches and pains.

On top of that in winter, I thoroughly recommend hats to keep warm - I love hats and have quite a collection (you have to not mind the stares though :lol: ), a 'fur' throw from M&S my OH bought me last christmas is wonderful to wrap up in in front of the fire, hot chocolate, thick socks and scarves to wrap round stiff necks.

I still love winter though even though I get a lot of aches with the cold, nothing like wrapping up warm in your pj's by the fire with a hot chocolate :D
Kathryn xx

Had fibromyalgia for 25+ years and I'm still smiling :)
kayjay
UKFM Member

Postby ShelB » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:08 pm

I wear thermal vests, leggins and socks under my ordinary clothes, makes you feel a bit trussed up but keeps those nasty drafts out.

OMG I am only 31 and recommending thermal! :lol: What is the world comming to!
Shel

The easy choices are the ones you make when you don't know enough to see how complicated things are.
ShelB
UKFM Member

Postby somebody_else » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:38 pm

I ALWAYS have a hot bath or shower before bed. That way you are warm when you go to bed. It's a nightmare trying to sleep when you're cold.

I also have a hot blanket on my bed but only at the feet end and I only have it on for an hour before bed. The trick is to find what works for you. I hate being too hot almost as much as too cold!

Bed socks. Fantastic invention. Blankets - another one! Get a blanket to put over you wherever you are, even in the office. Even if it's just laying on your lap you'll find it's warming and comforting.

Stretch UP ... seriously, try it now. Lift your hands as high over your head as you can (dont arch your back, tilt your pelvis forward) and try and touch the ceiling. when you put your arms down, you'll find you suddenly warm up a bit. Helps the circulation to your hands too. Laying on your back with your feet up on the sofa is good for the leg circulation and for the lower back as well.

Try and eat something hot for breakfast. Otherwise you'll get chilly around 11am. Have soup if thats what you like. Breakfast doesnt have to be cereal!
Hashimotos, CFS, FMS, PTSD, Anxiety. Gosh, I have more letters than the doctors who diagnosed me!
somebody_else
UKFM Member

Just a link you might be interested in ...

Postby Artisan » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:27 pm

A client of mine does unsual gifts, including wheaties and fur throws etc, so I thought I'd post the link in case any of you are interested.

Her business is called Pearcy's Gifts and can be found at: www.pearcys.co.uk
Regards
Malcolm (UKFM Forum Admin)
Artisan
SITE ADMIN

Postby ~Ro~ » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:07 pm

A hot bath before bed, a heat pack to take to bed and to work (really comforting and heats all of you up)

A nice blanket to snuggle up with

Plus I find 2 Duvets (in separate covers) one to lay on, one to have over me, makes the bed lovely and soft and warm!!

I love the winter too but I do need lots of warm clothes!!!

Going to Berlin early next year they say the temp is 9 deg to minus 12!! hahaha
~Ro~
~Ro~
UKFM Member

winter help

Postby princess » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:04 pm

DAytime

jumpers, tights uner trousers, or heavy tights with skirts, anything to keep warm.

Outside

No heavy coats, quilted coats and jackets are great they are light on, hat, gloves are an essential, good shoes with grips that are not heavy on feet and insoles in shoes or boots help sore feet.

Bedtime

Warm pjs, and socks!!! (so romantic not!)
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby shelly36 » Sun May 11, 2008 6:20 pm

lots of layers of clothes and turning up the heat when my other halfs gone out :D also i have those wheaties best thing i've ever brought. michelle
shelly36
UKFM Member

feet and shoes

Postby princess » Sun May 11, 2008 7:08 pm

I had very sore feet for years, but then i listened to my old neighbour who had rhumatism and she said get insoles into your shoes, make sure they are light, and that they feet comfy ----------------i fold M&S had light weight shoes and they bend and they are great. I just keep replacing them infact due a pair just now.

I went into fashionable shoes for my daughter's wedding and i was crippled for days.

At my sons's last year i had nice shoes for the ceremony, but afte the pictues i changed into trousers, flat shoes and was even able to have a few dances and wasnt too bad.

Guess what i am saying is make it easy on yourself.
princess
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping