[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Pain In The Morning

Pain In The Morning

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain In The Morning

Postby m2kl » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Is there anyway i can improve the pain and stiffness i get in the mornings? I am getting to the point where i am avoiding going to bed as the pain is so agonising when i wake. I have an alarm set at 6am to take my morphine and paracetamol and this helps but its awful. It takes me a long time to get moving in the mornings and its really getting me down. I sleep with all types of cushions supporting my hips and arms and i have a feather mattress topper so my body is cushioned too. Any other ideas?
m2kl
UKFM Member

Re: Pain In The Morning

Postby denys » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:59 pm

Sorry no only thing I will say is that if you avoid sleep eventually you will get worse pain, so although the stiffness and pain are horriblr on a morning if you can sleep then do. Have you got someone who could perhaps get you a waterbottle or something before you attempt to get up as I find heat sometimes helps, or try a warm bath in the morning if you have time :dunno: :dunno: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi
I used to wake like that, i used to be so stiff and doubled up in pain, i could not afford to buy a memory mattress so went for the next best thing a foam memory topper. (they come in different thicknesses)
I also put another duvet under the topper.
I still wake in pain but the stiffness has reduced.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Mornings...

Postby sjc » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:10 am

Hi. Yes, I can definately understand how the pain can be worse in the mornings. I am the same. I feel more tired and in pain after several hours of sleep then only a few hours of sleep. We can't win, as if we rest too much we become stiff but exercising and little sleep can make the pain more intense. I learnt to wake up earlier in the mornings now, making sure I put the alarm on about 7.30am. Take care. :wave:
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:38 am

I find wrapping up warm in bed really helps reduce my stiffness. My heating timer is broken so I have to put it on manually every morning but my Mum stayed last week with us and had to leave for a conference early so the heating had been on 30 mins when I woke up. I wasn't stiff when I woke up as a result :) I find warm pj's also help - try Primark for their packs of fleecy tops and bottoms - £6 for the set and worth every penny, they're so warm! They also do fleece nightdresses. My boyfriend and I used to have a fleece on our bed but his lovely Mum gave us a throw on Saturday (the type you'd have in hotels) and that's made such a difference - we wake up warm as opposed to cold despite the lack of heating. We also use those microwaveable hot water bottle animals in bed - one each plus a 3rd for good luck :)

Also, electric heaters or portable radiators can be good - they're surprisingly cheap to run (esp the convention ones as opposed to the fan ones), they're cheap to buy (I spent £20 3 years ago at Uni for one, my housemate spent £50 on her fan one) and they're great to take the chill off a room quickly, especially good for first thing in the morning and when you come back home, put the heating on and have to wait for it to warm up properly.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby hamstergirl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:18 am

Hi

I bought last year a Dreamland Therapy Heat pad (cat No 4428121) from Argos. Its a small heating pad that i lay my back on. I put it on when i go to bed. It has three heat settings and automatically switches off - i think after 90 mins. I normally drop off to sleep but if i wake up i can just switch it back on again for another 90 mins. Would you find something like this useful to switch on perhaps an hour before getting up.

I only use this when i'm really bad otherwise i microwave an heat wrap and lay on it. Since doing this i have had no trouble getting to sleep

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby m2kl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:43 am

Thanks for the suggestions. My mattress topper is very soft but i would love a memory one, though sadly dont have funds for it atm. I have fleece jamas and socks which are fab and i always tuck them is which helps a lot.

My heating does come on before we get up and i have a little fan heater in the bedroom. I will try sleeping under a blanket and see if that helps. I have the microwave bags but find they are cold by morning when i am worse. I am at work 4 nights a week so no one to get me a hot water bottle and dh works opposite me so no one at home either.

One of those heat pads sounds fab. I think that would be ideal as i could put it one when i my alarm goes off to take my meds.

m2kl
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:51 am

Adele
UKFM Member

Postby leelee » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi, everyone,
the best purchase EVER that's helped me has been a heated duvet.
You can set it on timer to be on for 75 mins or 12 hours for overnight, and the temperature's adjustable - not cheap but has improved my life so much, really worth every penny.
mornings are so much easier now.
if you have a double or king size each side has separate settings so partners can chose different heats or no heat at all.

leelee
leelee
stay well and happy xxx
leelee
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:32 pm

That sounds wonderful leelee, never heard of this before, who sells them. :xmaswave1:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby Nic-nac » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Nic-nac
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for that Nic Nac, sure i will be buying win of these, might even be able to get up in the morning and dance :xmasdance1: :lol:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby leelee » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:17 pm

oops, sorry, wandered off!!
i got mine from argos,it's a dreamland one, really good quality and very very toasty.
the snow's just started again here, time for heated duvet....
leelee
stay well and happy xxx
leelee
UKFM Member

Postby Stephanie66 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi All ... :wave:

Yes in the mornings it is so hard for me to get out of bed, I am there for around 45 mins to maybe an hour just laying there - feeling everything stiff and neck pains etc. :banghead:
Half the time I just end up going back to sleep. Which makes things a whole lot worse , as I then end up waking up around 12pm in the afternoon, where I could have woke up at 9am, just the pains and stiffness sent me back off to sleep in the end as I couldnt move!! :banghead: :sick:

When I do get up, my head is very bad and im stiff, I HATE loud noises, I really can be doing without loud noise. Even people voices talking gets me down. Even having food in the mornings, or even a cup of tea is a challange in itself :sleep:

I hope my post has helped - have a Merry christmas... :xmastree1: :xmaswave1:
Stephanie x
Merry Christmas .... x
Stephanie66
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:25 pm

hi all

know the stiffness and pain

sorry to repeat some of you

i really love my electric blankett, it's already on when I go to bed, that's just bliss :sick:

also my loose fitting bed socks, heaven

hot bath in the morning, hands breadth is enough, just enough to lay flat on the back and also my neck

also got an electric heat pad which i can fasten round my neck and waist (don't wear it in the bath!!! :nono: or fibro fog is your least concern)

leg warmers for my knees and ellbowes

stay warm

x lu x :goodluck2:
Last edited by fibro-lu on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping