Decided to get a stick.. ideas please :)

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Decided to get a stick.. ideas please :)

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:28 pm

So I have decided it is time for me to get a walking stick. I am finding this latest bout of cold weather is causing my knees, feet and ankles to feel weak and I have almost fallen a few times. I'd like a folding stick so I can hide the fact I use one from my colleagues etc as I know they will feel I am being over dramatic. Also, I don't always feel I need one so it would be handy to keep folded in my bag so I can whip it out in emergencies but don't need to draw attention to myself when unnecessary.

I was wondering if you lovely people can help me find one? Requirements are as follows;

1) Must be collapsible
2) I am 5"1 so I don't know if this affects?
3) I'd like a fairly cheap one, I've spent about £100 on medication, creams, shampoos etc to manage Fibro so far...
4) Ideally it will be a fun one (am 22). I wear lots of bright colours, my coat is purple, my pashmina's are bright colours and my hat is a mix or reds, oranges, greens, pinks and blues, as are my gloves so I'd like a stick which matches me if possible :)

Any ideas? The only absolute requirement is the collapsibleness, the rest are ideal but not essential. Also, I've never had a stick before so is there anything I need to look out for or be aware of when choosing one?

:)

ps: I hate chintz so those Cath Kidston ones are out...
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Re: Decided to get a stick.. ideas please :)

Postby budda » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:44 am

Hi Ldyalb and :welcome: to the forum, I have a fold up walking stick, got mine in watt brother, think i payed about eight pounds for it, they had pink flowery ones witch i think would go with your lovely bright outfit, I dont hide the fact that i have to have a stick sometimes, am the one thats in pain, so i dont really care what anyone thinks about me having my walking stick, hope this helps you and you find one that suits you, :goodluck1:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby Emerald » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:57 am

Most are standard 31" but you being shorter than me at 5"4 probably the smaller size I had to get which can go as low as around 29" I think, I only have a 28" inside leg so im quite short at the best of times lol.

http://www.forrmobility.co.uk/Products/ ... ticks.html about halfway down their plain black and some of the coloured patterned ones have the standard 33inch and the smaller length for us lot. Its crucial you get the right size stick, the amount of people I see with sticks offering no support doing more harm than good bought for looks not considering height/support/comfort is rediculous. The handle should be at the crook of your wrist for starters then adjust to what feels good usually up or down no more than 1 notch from that point. Aslo bear in mind the comfy handle ones are sometimes more expensive but worth it as easier on the hands. Also to add, if like me on the heavy side watch max weights, most are standard 15st max others go right up to 18st and some more, no point going for pretty if when you really need it its gonna fail and buckle under you causing you injury. They aint just a fashion statement they are an aid, lots I know get them plain and use glitter paint stencils etc to decorate them making them origainal and unique. Stick on diamonties etc cheap on ebay can glam up plain sticks too.

http://abcmobility.co.uk/ergonomic-fold ... 18%29.html

I use comfy handled crutches myself now as im past the point of sticks. Hope the above helps.
Emerald
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:11 pm

hi

They sell them on ebay as well quite cheaply and some of them come in 3 sizes petite normal and large. You can also get some quite trendy colours as well :D

Fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks folks - my boyfriend has just measured me (wrist bone to floor, 30 inches, gutted - can't get the one I wanted now (the blue paisley one from the link below)). Now got to choose between the Blue Petal and the Burgundy Flower. My bf is no help 'why not buy a plain one?' I don't think he gets it lol.

http://www.forrmobility.co.uk/Products/ ... html#thumb

I don't need a heavy duty stick, I'm a size 10 and will only use it occasionally (hopefully), I want one for emergencies, especially in cold weather like this!

I feel too young for this! :(

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Emerald » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:36 am

Id also consider the handles, I went for a normal in the beginning, nightmare, agrevated my hands bigtime.
Emerald
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:47 am

I've gone for a normal handle this time, see how I get on, especially as for occasional use (hopefully!). It's for things like yesterday when it was freezing and I felt vulnerable in the snow and when I got to the tube and the escalators were broken and I had to walk down the wet stairs (I have a massive fear of stairs, it's a dyspraxia thing, I have recurring nightmares abot stairs since I was 3) and people kept pushing and shoving me and I was scared that I'd fall.

If I need one for more regular use I'll probably speak to the Dr or the Rheumy about seeing an occupational therapist to see if they can help and then invest some money into getting a better stick for every day use with an ergonomic handle. Right now I'm just hoping I can walk to work without going blue :)

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Help / Tips on Coping