Books and diet

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Books and diet

Postby Nellyphant » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:29 am

Has anyone found any FM books that are helpful? I've been looking on amazon and I'm thinking of ordering FM for dummies but also saw there are books on diet for FM too. Has anyone changed their diet and has it worked? I need to lose quite a lot of weight, I've been struggling for years and now realise that the FM I've had forever (but didn't know) hasn't helped.

Thanks!
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Re: Books and diet

Postby denys » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi Nic, theres a thread on here, about books cant remember were it was off the top of my head but people had posted about the books they had found helpful. I personally didnt find any of the books I read any more helpful than the information available on the net and diet again I think its important to make sure you eat a healthy diet but dont believe that specific diets help particularly :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :xmaswave1: :xmaswave1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Nellyphant » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks Denys, I'll have a search for the book thread.

I cut out wheat a long time ago to help with what I now know to be FM problems and whilst it helped initially my symptoms are stronger now. So now I've cut out diet coke - although I always drink the stuff without aspartame - and so far no difference made. My niece had some food intolerance testing done by a kineisiologist (she has CFS & FM) and she was advised to cut out wheat and dairy - tough for a vegetarian! Her diet is very limited now and TBH I don't think it's made much difference. She still picks up every lurgy going and has major flare ups. I was hoping that someone on this board had success with a change in diet.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi Nic, cant say that I remember anyone saying anything about success with major diet changes but like you a number of people have given up wheat and some gluten, hopefully someone who's a bit more knowledgeable than me will be along soon to help :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby KellyBelly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi

I found this book useful

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3404 ... fer=search

It gives some great exercises and tips about diet. It also helped me understand this complex condition a little better! It's written by a lady who suffers with the condition (in association with some very understanding doctors), so hearing someones first hand experiences was really useful to me. I've also referred my family to this book and they are all reading it to help them understand my condition too.

:xmastree1:
KellyBelly
UKFM Member

Postby Nellyphant » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:43 pm

Kellybelly - thanks for recommending that book. When the snow has gone and the postal service has been restored I shall order it.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:24 am

hi Nelly

the dummy range of books are very americanised so may not be brilliant

when i was working as a health visitor i also trained in immunology/allergy, and saw patients at the practice. i don't know where your neice hhad her test done, but i'm guessing not at her gp's. The only way you can find out about a about allergy is via blood test or patch testing both under medical supervision. Also there is no test for food intolerece it is done by trying to cut out foods one at a time.

putting your hands on metal rods or testing bits of hair doesn't work it's a con and people cut out foods for no reason and can end up on a poor diet and no difference to symptoms.

if yuo see a book you fancy buying why not try your local library to get if for you so you can get a good luck before you buy

fab
fabme
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping