[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Shakti mat (accupressure)

Shakti mat (accupressure)

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Shakti mat (accupressure)

Postby sleepyrich » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:43 am

Last Christmas my mum didn't know what to buy me and I wasn't sure.

She got me a portable bed of nails! I unwrapped it and looked at her "faux thanks" thinking what the!!!

Its called a Shakti mat and its a foam sheet with a cover and loads of plastic discs with lots of sharp points and you basically just lay on it, I have to say its the best present I think I've had and made most use of, this year I asked for the cushion and the ring :)

My job was reasonably physical, up and down steps carrying tools and equipment around all day some days. Just before I went to bed I would lay on my back on the mat for 5 minutes and then I would stand on it for about 30 seconds if I could before getting into bed, would sleep like a baby and the previous days aches and pains were gone.

A few months back I noticed that my lower back was getting really sensitive to the mat and the aches and pains were lingering and were not going away, I guess this is when I started having issues with constant pain (TMJD Flair up too).

Anyway I am now having trouble laying down and getting up off the floor but the Shakti mat defiantly helps this chronic pain I feel, I would say it gives me about a 80% decrease in pain and stiffness and appears to be allowing me to drop off to sleep much quicker than when I don't use it.

Yes it does hurt and yes it probably is exactly how you imagine the pain to feel when you lay on a spikey mat, I understand how pain is amplified for people with fibro and i guess not everyone would be able to cope with the pain, but its a strange nice pain that is spread evenly over the area you are laying on with your body. I would describe the feeling like you get from the deep heat spray. Once you get off the mat you can feel the blood rushing about and the muscles relaxing instantly and the warming of the muscles. It dissipates hard muscles and early knots too.

When I had my TMJ flaire up I would rest each side of my face on the mat as if it was a pillow, it takes a few seconds too get used to but the results were amazing and I believe was one of the main factors in helping me relieve the pain and symptoms causing my pain.

Thanks for reading and I would love to hear from any other members that have a mat, if not I reccomend it highly and can also suggest ebay as a cheaper source.
sleepyrich

Re: Shakti mat (accupressure)

Postby denys » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks for the tip Rich, not sure I would manage one but glad you have found something to help and maybe others would find it useful too :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby hamstergirl » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:22 pm

I've seen these or something similar in Holland and Barrett for around £40. not sure if i could cope with the spikes, shame we can't try things before we buy.

I have a microwave wheat bag that I use everynight when I go to bed on my back or I would never drop off.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby sleepyrich » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:39 pm

It definatly falls into the category of fighting fire with fire I think, I have found that my lower back which is usually one of the main areas I have the constant pain is extra sensitive and I do have to really focus to ignore that extra burning pain but I only do it because it feels so much better when I get off it and I feel much more mobile.

I'd happily lend mine out but I dont think I could handle not having it available myself lol and although you can use it with a thin top on its more efficient straiight onto skin.

My wife wont go near the thing though!
sleepyrich

Postby Adele » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:11 pm

i'm willing to try anything. i have taken your word for it and bought one on ebay. will keep you posted :yikes:

adele xx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby cariad » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Rich. I was given one of these mats for Xmas but having had a quick go I must admit the spikyness put me off! However after reading your positive account I will definitely give it a proper go. Do you have to use just before you go to bed or can it be in the day? (This would suit me better) :D
cariad
UKFM Member

Postby sleepyrich » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi Cariad, use it whenever you feel you need to or just fancy it, I keep mine under the bed and only tend to use it at night before I get into bed.

I do agree that it takes a little getting used to and the first few times you try it you will doubt that you will make much use of it but I say stick with it, it probably took me a few days of regular use before I was able to accept the pain, but once you do its fine and I find It gets easier after about 30 seconds once your brain accepts that the inflicted pain is actually by choice.

I find after I have got onto the mat I lift myslelf off and readjust so the points are all even and im not stretching my skin across the discs and that pain doesn't go away lol.

I have fallen asleep in it a couple of times, one of those I only woke up because I was getting a sensation like someone was massaging my head, if I hadn't been so freaked out by that I would have stayed there.

Please add your experiences and tips on how you find using your mat :)
sleepyrich

Postby andie01322 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi I have just bought a Tantra mat which seems to be the same thing. I have only just used it this morning and had to put a vest top on , but I'm sure I will get used to it and I am looking forward to the benefits.

Good luck everybody and love yourselves
xx
andie01322
UKFM Member

Postby sleepyrich » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks for your input Andie, yes a vest does stop it hurting but you will soon notice the benefits on bare skin. Hope you get some relief, I have found over the past few nights that it helps to relieve the restless leg syndrome feeling I have and allowed me to drop off to sleep fast.

When you are used to it and feeling brave I also find that once I have finished laying on it I stand on it bare feet and can manage about 20 seconds but its worth it :)
sleepyrich

Postby budda » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:18 pm

You sound very brave sleepyrich to lie on this shakti mat, I dont think i myself could bare this on my body, even a mattress with grooves in it kills me, but am glad you can find pain releaf with this mat, and thanks for the tip all are welcome. :wave:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby sleepyrich » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Thats a shame budda, it sure looks worse than it is but I appreciate some of you simply could not bare that extra pain, and because the trigger points in my lower back burn like hell all around that area I can only imagine at the moment how unbearable that would be all over my back and back surface, they average between £30 and £40 which is not cheap only to find you cant use it, but also I hope that doesn't put people off trying it out because I do think it will be different for everyone and I believe very beneficial.

here are a few related links for interest.

£12 here
sleepyrich

Postby andie01322 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks sleepyrich, I found my lower back was the most sensitive too, and I also tried my feet too. My kids all had a go too.
I spent £27.99 well worth the money. :)
andie01322
UKFM Member

Postby sleepyrich » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:47 pm

sleepyrich

Postby budda » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks for that sleepyrich, read throw some of it and will go back and read more.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Last edited by fibro-lu on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping