[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - swimming

swimming

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

swimming

Postby linda carr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 am

Yesterday I had a 30minute swim followed by a hot jacuzzi. I had absolutely no pain for hours and only felt pain in the back leg muscles at 8pm. the combination of swimming and warm water is so beneficial. Worth every penny ! and i sleep really well , I am aiming for 5 times per week. :D
linda carr
UKFM Newbie

Re: swimming

Postby denys » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 am

Glad you have found something that helps Linda :hugs: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Adele » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:16 am

hi linda,

i'd recommend giving it a couple of days to see if you have any delayed pain. 5 days a week is alot. please build it up slowly.

:D i'm glad u found something that works for u.

adele xx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:24 pm

hi
glad you found something
but as the others said
one step at the time
build it up slowly
:wave:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby budda » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Linda, glad to hear that you have found something that helps you, I tryed swimming 3 times a week, after each swim on the night I could not move, BUT it could have been that i did not go into warm water after swimming, and everone is different, PLEASE let me know if it works, and i will try again with the jacuzzi, :fingerscrossed: it works. :blowkiss:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby stephanini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:06 pm

id love to go swimming but our local pool is freezing and it makes me very poorly being in water so cold :(

stephanini
UKFM Member

Postby sylviaesmith » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi Linda, sounds like heaven - I just wish I could swim - or like water come to that!!

Take it easy
sylviaesmith
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:51 pm

hi. Glad ur finding it helps personally i love swimming and try to go when i can. Only prob is i suffer like crazy when i get out and then home. Water is warm great pool. Pain clinic hav told me i shud swim for ten minutes. Only. But how can u drive 14mile to pool i can get in. For jyst ten minutes then home again. The cost for starters. Im trying to exercise i wanna lose weight but body is going against me with pain when i exercise. So please do it carefully work up but by bit. Goodluck
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby livermore » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:53 pm

I love swiming and feel fab when im in the warm water, i often get in the hot tub afterwards and it works for me but i do feel tired the next day.

I use to go aerobics when i was younger and loved it, and to the gym but have been told not too do this anymore just swim and walk. Hope it keeps working for you.

Michelle. x
livermore
UKFM Member

Postby shrimp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 am

i love swimming but our local pool is really cold,,,gotta try somewhere else but they cost lost more ...saw Occupational therapist today and she said limit to under 5 lengths (last bout of swimming i built upto 20 over few weeks but not been several months again) 3 times a week and dont overdo it even if feel good - just passing on words of wisdom!
shrimp xx :wave:
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks shrimp for passing this on. :hugs: :flowers:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby judith » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:13 pm

I used to try to swim regularly eg couple of times a week, tho am not a good swimmer but increasingly found it painful afterwards. Also used to try to walk regularly ditto pain in legs, hips and have now got OA in feet and knee so added to fibro makes physical activity difficult. But have bought an exercise bike as am fearful of putting on too much weight now that I seem to be more inactive.
judith
UKFM Member

Postby m2kl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:42 pm

AM glad it worked for you. Swimming has the opposite effect on me due to the cold water. Unless the water is like a hot bath my pain worsens and having CFS exercise is a no go.
However when on holiday i used the jacuzzi daily and it greatly helped my pain. A mixture of the heat and bubbles really worked wonders and it didnt take too much precious energy doing it x
m2kl
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:56 pm

I find water helps and swimming was something I was managing to do a little bit of. Problem is, I now can't get in the pool cos its a ladder and I can't manage it. Can get in the kiddie pool with my lil man but too shallow to swim but do feel better for going in that still. However, the people from our local gym were posting flyers on my estate this afternoon as I was going out to do the school run. I asked about going to use the jacuzzi and what was the set up there, cost etc. She said I can go and use the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna for £5 anytime of day for as long as I want. Plus those things are on the ground floor so I would be able to manage it. This gym is only 5 minutes from where I live. I know these things help me as had them before on pamper days. I knew there was a jacuzzi there but didn't know they had a sauna and steam room. I'd been planning to go to one about 40 minutes away with my friend and that was £10. So this has been a real breakthrough for me.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby Claire Spong » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Check whether your pool has a disability swim. Went to our local one on Monday for the first time and they had a set of much better steps, shallow and wide platforms so they were easy to get in and out. They are supposed to warm the pool up a bit too but it didn't feel very warm!
Dx March 2011
Read my blog about how I'm coping with finding out I have Fibro on: http://fibronewbie.blogspot.com/
Claire Spong
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping