[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Does fibromyalgia go away ????

Does fibromyalgia go away ????

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Does fibromyalgia go away ????

Postby lala1626 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 am

i was told by my gp that if nefopam doesnt work there is nothing else to try, however there is a girl i used to work with who has fibro and she has morphine patches every day, i feel that they are totally fobbing me off and i have seen various posts on here about others taking tablets iv never even heard of, so i think he is talking rubbish and doesnt want to give me anything that might actually work.
his advice to me was "go swimming, but if it hurts when you move then dont go swimming" somehow i think that advice cancelled itself out and he said it just for the sake of saying it.
he has also said that one day you may wake up and it has disappeared, still waiting for that day and not seen a case of anyone who that has happened to, im not going to hold my breath for that!
xxx
Be nice and smile to everyone you meet.
You don't know what they are going through.
They may need that smile,
and treasure it.

Don't ask how I am unless you really want to know the answer!
lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:50 pm

As you've found while looking around here Lauren, there are other meds used to try and manage FM. Hopefully with some info from the linky Shaz gave you, you'll be able to educate your GP and train him to be understanding and helpful where FM is concerned :clap: :clap: :clap:

Exercise can help with FM, from easing off the stiffness we have to helping boost lower moods. Unfortunately tho, as we're all affected so very differently, it's another area where we need to find what is best for ourselves :facepalm: :facepalm: So, altho your GP suggested swimming, you could find that it isn't the right thing for you :-? :-? :-?

There are the odd ones who have said their FM has gone or been cured, however no~one is quite sure if this is the actual case. A more likely explanation is that they have either found the right mix of things to give them back pretty much what they had life~wise preFM, or that things have effectively gone dormant for an extended period of time. If this is the case tho, there is always a chance lingering around that it could re~emerge at any time.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lala1626 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:28 pm

just been on the phone to the drs and my fave dr is in on friday and have booked a appointment with him yay! looking forward to being listened to and hopefully some pain relief!! :-D
i know this doesnt sound like a big deal but to me it is because he is at many different surgeries so is a dr who is very hard to get an appt with!
xxx
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:05 pm

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lala1626 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 pm

thought id update on how it went today, had a good appt with my fave dr and explained what had happened and what was said last time, he told me basically that he had no idea why i was taken off tramadol completely without being weaned off it, and the other dr was talking rubbish when he said there was nothing else i could try.
i am now on 50mg of tramadol and dose been upped to 50mg of amitriptaline aswell,
also he said he wasnt going to mess me about by making me wait 3 weeks in between appointments he said that if the meds im given arent working within the 1st week to go back and see him and he would up the dose or try something else, he mentioned progabalin?? its something iv seen on here but cant quite remember,
so feeling much happier about the whole thing as i finally feel listened to and not fobbed off.
sorry for goin on a bit just happy he cares, there needs to be more drs like him he is good!!!
hope you other guys feel as good as me at the minute, (despite pain and being exhausted from work, the mood is good today.)
xxxxxxx
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi lala

Glad the doc has given you the pain meds & listened to you, having an understanding GP does make a big difference. :hugs:

The med you mentioned trying is a common med used for fibro its pregablin but can take up to 4 weeks to get fully into your system and so can alot of other meds used to treat fibro so you will have to give them longer than a week to try them.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby 2steps » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Mine has gotten worse as I get older but I have been told there will be a cure one day, just not in my life time. No wonder sufferers get so mad with the medical profession.

I think they are waiting for the USA to find a cure.

2steps
2steps
UKFM Member

Postby Lesley-Ann » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:48 pm

They'd have to find the cause/root of Fibro before they could begin to attempt to 'cure' it. I think it works that way anyway, not a medical professional/person, but common sense tells me it does. :roll:

I sincerely think people can go into remission periods like you hear of with cancer patients, or it can calm down and not completely go, but there is always a good chance that those who experience period or periods of remission will have relapse so to speak.

So, :nono: no cure here unfortunately.
Lesley-Ann
UKFM Member

Postby Judy S » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 am

There is no cure, no, but there can be periods of remission, sometimes for years. I've had a couple of those, one was only a few months, the next was about three years, during which time I travelled a lot and did all kinds of things I would struggle to do now - like horseriding.

I have to say that during the periods of remission I still had to take care not to overdo things too much, but it's difficult to say whether that was because I was simply unfit and overdid it, or whether it was because the fibro was still there, lying low, and I overdid it. For instance, anyone of my age who went out and spent the day mowing the lawn and pruning after not having done any physical labour for years would hurt quite a lot afterwards and that pain would disturb sleep, too. And I couldn't run ... but nor can many other women in their late forties/early fifties.

Each time the fibro has come back it has surprised me with a new set of symptoms along with some of the old, but after the intial recognition/shock/depression cycle, it has been easier. I guess it's like living with epilepsy. You aren't ever going to lose it in your lifetime, but you can learn to live with it in a way that it has minimal impact, and there can be long periods where you don't have a seizure.

Don't lose hope, all you who are new here and recently diagnosed
. I know my fibro is a lot less severe than some, but it CAN be managed and you CAN learn to live with it, and live reasonably happily. Sometimes it takes a long, long time to get to that point, and a lot of visits to doctors and consultants to get the meds right, and a lot of support, physical therapy and working at eliminating contributing factors - diet, for instance. I can't tolerate yeast in most forms, or malt, and if I eat them my fibro symptoms come down on me like a ton of bricks, especially with yeast.

Can I just add for those whose fibro is literally crippling, that for me my mother was an inspiration. She was disabled and housebound - unless someone took her and her wheelchair out somewhere. She had whole body inflammatory arthritis, and had to choose between crippling pain and hideous side effects from drugs like methotrexate and prednisolone. She had to take other drugs to counteract the cytotoxic effects of the methotrexate, and THEY gave her grief, too. But apart from the odd session of anger and swearing, which passed quickly, she remained cheerful, and kept herself busy with making knitted toys and cooking etc. I personally have no idea how she did that, with the terrible inflamed lumps and bumps she had on her hands and all her joints hurting like the devil, but she did.

It does take a certain type of person to be so positive, and I'm not sure that I could be, but I just thought I'd let you all know that even with this terrible affliction, your mindset will have an effect. By all means cry, shout, stamp your feet and swear and take to your bed for as long as you need to, but then pick yourself up and do something fun - even if it's just watching a funny film, or sitting in the sun with the spring flowers. Us fibro sufferers need to look for joy in small things. ;)
Judy S
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:47 pm

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Judy S » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Judy S
UKFM Member

Previous