[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - NHS electric wheelchair

NHS electric wheelchair

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

NHS electric wheelchair

Postby f1honeybunny » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi
I have had fibromyalgia 10 years now very severely affected, severe pain while walking basically any distance, been awarded high rate mobility and high rat care as it is chronic and lasting.
Basically i need an electric wheelchair, I have a manual wheelchair but cannot propel far, my partner is ill so he cannot push me.
Applied for an NHS electric wheelchair but got turned down don't fit the criteria.
The criteria that I need an electric wheelchair All the time inside and out, I don't can manage short distances e.g around the house but need electric wheelchair outside.
But criteria is they don't supply electric wheelchair for outside only.
But surely thats where the majority of people suffering from fibromyalgia need an electric wheelchair, outside long distances, going to the park going to and around the shops.
It has been suggested I use my DLA mobility to buy an electric wheelchair but that goes towards the motability car.
Basically have no money no savings, cannot afford even second hand electric wheelchair.
Can anyone advise
hope there are some people out there who i can laugh and cry with i really know what you are going through i've been ill almost 9 years now!!!
f1honeybunny
UKFM Newbie

Re: NHS electric wheelchair

Postby loubie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:46 pm

if you are both on benefits
don't they do a loan thingy ( sorry foggy)

i know they have loads of electric wheelchairs on eBay
i got one for mother in law off there, second hand but a bargain

sorry don't no how you would get one otherwise, some one mite
pop on with an idea.
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Is there anywhere near to you that you could hire one when you need to go into town?? In our town centre there is a central place that lets people hire scooters, chairs and things to help with getting round, going shopping etc.

The only other thing I could think of is seeing if any of the disability-type organisations could give you some idea of what you could do or where you could try to get one from :dunno: :dunno:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Adele » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 am

i used to borrow a scooter from shop mobility. it's free and some have electric wheelchairs. my local disability supplies shop hires them out by the day or week.

i am now reliant on a wheelchair when i go out. i have a powerchair but i have to rent it using my dla mobility money. where i live, you need to use a wheelchair full time to even get an assessment on the nhs and if you qualify they only do manual chairs.

the problem is my chair needs an adapted car to fit it in. i could have done with getting the car with my dla money for my carer to drive but then i wouldn't have my chair. catch 22. i spend £210 a month on my chair because of my back and neck injuries. it's like a tank. an expensive tank.

i can't use a manual chair because of my neck injury but there is no pointing having the powerchair if we can't take it anywhere. :banghead:

btw scooters are alot cheaper to buy second hand than electric wheelchairs. they even turn up on freecycle. perhaps put a wanted ad on your local group's board.

i wish you luck honeybunny :hugs: adele xx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby f1honeybunny » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:30 am

Hi
I have used shopmobility for my own town , ther little towns don't have shopmobility.
I use the shopping carts they provide in supermarkets but really would like my own electric chair.
like you say it's a catch 22, all my mobilty goes to a wheelchair accessible car and then petrols going up.
If I didn't have the car, would have the money for a power chair but then could not transport the power chair.
You can't have both if you are disabled.
I am heavy build so have a big scooter, another reason for the wheelchair car, but scooter on it's last legs or wheels.
And scooter not suitable for small shops.
literally just have no money left at the end of the month, no savings.
Just managed to scrape the money together for a second hand laptop so I can use in bed when I am ill.
Will try phoning up the benefits but I thought that was just for beds, cookers etc and travel money.
hope there are some people out there who i can laugh and cry with i really know what you are going through i've been ill almost 9 years now!!!
f1honeybunny
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:41 pm

Goodluck with it all Hunnybunny, :fingerscrossed: you find someone to help :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:13 pm

:goodluck1: in finding one. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby animalhouse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 am

there criterias are stupid,my brother had this problem although he did not go out and did not want to.

we struggled to get him anywhere for hospital appointments and they would not even provide manual one unless he went out x days per week. so we had to borrow my sisters which was not an ideal solution.

the people who make the decisions on these things have no idea how difficult life can be. :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:12 am

To qualify for a manual wheelchair is a referral from an occupational therapist, I have just been through the system and been given a manual wheelchair, they also operate a voucher scheme where they will issue you a voucher towards buying one from approved mobility shops :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby whiterabbit2009 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi peeps
I have a invacare spectra plus with tilt and recline as well as electric leg rests from my local nhs service I have had it for at least two years and to be honest its never broke down , all i have done is scraped some paint and arm rests ( use insulation tape it looks as good is new).
I all so have a wav via motability and have just got it back as i wanted to drive from my chair rather than transfer onto a six way seat ,now if i could choose my chair for what i wanted belive me its not going to be the spectra plus but more like the storm3/4 but they cost a bomb to buy new or second hand anything from a few hundred pounds upto around three or four thound pounds and plus any work that needs doing , motors can cost upwards of five hundred pounds for one motor lord help you if you want more.
But the benefit of nhs is that anything goes wrong they will repair it free (unless you set out to destroy it) and any maintenance is picked up by ross care ( around tameside anyways) , you have to sit down ad way up all the costs as with me I could afford a chair via credit card but then my interest rate is high and would take longer to pay off and any repairs i have to pay as there are no second hand parts its always new and some sites wont deal with the public .
As i suffer from fibro i cant walk well even with crutches and since i kept falling over and last time put a carving knife through my hand when i fell it was nhs wheelchair service who helped me with first phonix plus (crap) then spectra plus (better but not great) but its the best of what is on offer to me and i dont want to buy a second hand powerchair that will cost my money in the near future ( batteries can cost seventy pounds upwards for a 40ah battery and you need two , and 75 amp batteries can cost you over two hundred pounds).

Andrew
whiterabbit2009
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:43 pm

hi andrew,

i'm a bit confused. did you get your chair free from the nhs or did you have to pay for it?

thanks, adele
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby whiterabbit2009 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi adele
I got mine off the local nhs (tameside wheelchair service) i started out with a scooter which i bought off a friend , which i sold on to buy my next scooter off ebay which was less than 12mths old which was a bargin BUT as i kept falling over the choice was for nhs powerchair as i couldnt afford the prices they want (storm 4 with what i have on my spectra plus was over £9000) .
I must admit they have been great with me as i have had to go back and have new cushions and latest is electric leg rests which i can move up and down (started getting swelling which is all over me so i look like a fat baloon ) as well as tilt and recline.

Andrew
whiterabbit2009
UKFM Member

Postby emily73 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:06 am

Hi

Sorry to hear it's has got worse for u, I also need a wheelchair to use outside as I can walk to the local shop 5 mins away now 20 mins for me but I am exhausted and in extreme pain when I get home, I fell in the chemist so have lost my confidence and won't go anywhere without someone as have fallen 3 times in 5 days.
I am looking at getting an electric scooter today so I can collapse it in my husbands car as well as potter around the local shop, go on walks with my husband and my dog.
The wheelchair will give me my independence back, I am 37 and have been fighting the thought of getting a chair, I can't drive anymore due to pain in hips and right leg. I also get high mobility which helps towards the bills but scooters start from £11 per week that's a small price to pay to get ne out from these four Walls. And god yes I will feel very embarrassed the first few times I see friends in it but the way I see it I am still me and I hope people see that as well.
I hope u get your wheelchair as it's your freedom from the 4 Walls.
Take care x x
emily73
UKFM Member

Postby lynn1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:14 am

hubby keeps telling me the same to get one,but they cost alot and i dont get and benifits,like emily i can walk for 5mins but a 20min walk and im almost on the floor ,walking around shops now is not good but i do it and suffer later.
ive had fm for 10 years now and i still feel a wheelchair would make others stare at me as to say nought wrong with her,i try to be indepentant but fm gets me backs
i dont no what is the best to get so many about but i guess somethink light weight to get in the car on the days i have the car and i can drive like some said the hips and spine hurts when driving the bends and roundabout give me alot of pain,but a wheel chair i could also get the dogs out again i used to walk 4 hour aday with my dogs i cant even manage a 20min walk now
hope you find one soon
lynn1
UKFM Member

Postby whiterabbit2009 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:57 pm

I had an accident in 96 (i was only 26 yrs old) when i started with A.S and F.M i have gone from walking sticks to crutches and electric scooter that i bought 2nd hand from ebay and had an hoist in back of mpv via motability.At first you feel like the whole world is wacthing you as i was only in my 30's and even got stopped by supermarket security guard and asked why such a young man was in a scooter which ONLY older people use , I explained and left it at that I bought a almost brand new scooter only to have to sell it a few months later as i fell in the home and put a knife through my hand , that was when i decided health was better than pride and havent regretted it since as i can get in and out of shops even went to london with all the family(15 of us) and had no problems on train or anyware .
It comes down to you if you want people to stare at you they will theres nothing that can change that BUT after a few times on your scooter you wont notice people looking at you as its such a wide verity of people who use them now , you get that scooter or chair and get back to living how you used to be you will be glad that you have made that choice i know as i did .

Andrew
whiterabbit2009
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping