[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Just cant pace myself!

Just cant pace myself!

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Just cant pace myself!

Postby juejue » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with fibro in Feb and have been referred to physio for advice on pacing myself, but no appointment yet.

I just cant seem to do it if I get up in the morning and feel vaguely ok, I feel the need to get all the things I have wanted to do for days because I feel so useless and guilty as I've not been able to do them. I then push myself and push myself to do the things like hoovering and tidying up, this only takes an hour or so but then I am totally exhausted.

Maybe I just havent come to terms with the fact that I cant do this, I dont know, anyway sorry for the whinge.

:roll: Jue
juejue
UKFM Member

Re: Just cant pace myself!

Postby denys » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:42 pm

It sounds that way Jue,cos unfortuantly only you can do it :fingerscrossed: your appointment will be through shortly and maybe then you'll be able to tackle the feelings of guilt etc you are experiencing cos until thats sorted I dont think you will manage to sort things out. Its easy for us to say well you shouldnt feel x y and z and do this or that but you are the one who has to actually do it and thats not so easy.

Most of us have gone through the same thing over and over and a few of us are still doing it, even the old hands fall by the wayside every so often. You will get there I'm sure just for the moment dont add stressing at not managing to pace to the stresses of not managing to complete everything that needs doing or you are going to flare big time.

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby juliem » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:53 pm

I am a bit like you still. 3 years officially diagnosed. I am better at saying no but still tend to do everything in the morning and collapse in the afternoon. I think we all have to deal with this in our own way. For me being active in the morning is very important. I walk my dogs etc. however I am wary of doing too much in the afternoon. But I am very proud of the fact that today I said a firm no to something my husband wanted me to do and I just didn't. So good luck. Try and pace yourself but whatever don't beat yourself up if, as of yet, you aren't much good at it. :)
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Ju, you're not on your own in finding that getting the pacing habit can be difficult. It's so easy to get up feeling a bit better then attack everything at full pelt and then find that FM is waiting in the shadows to bite you on the bum and make it's presence felt again :tongueout: :facepalm:

I found it difficult to get into it, and even now I still overdo things, but when I do it properly it does help. I found the best way for me to approach it was to see how long I can do something for on a good day, and the same on a bad day. I then worked out an average time and now stick to doing that amount of time. When I reach my time limit, I stop and have a rest.

Some people find they can work well doing something for, say, half an hour, then having a rest for a similar amount of times. I find that I need a longer rest period compared to how long I can do something for, so work on the basis of doing something for 10 minutes, then having rest for 20-30 minutes.

What you're going thru at the moment is something a lot of us have experienced, with getting used to what FM is and how it will affect our lives. Just take each day as it comes, bit by bit. As denys has said, worrying about what needs to be done, then adding to concerns about pacing could send you into a flare.

Hope you're appt comes thru soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby juejue » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks so much for your responses everyone it means a lot to know there are other people to talk to, my partner is very supportive but I am sure she must be sick of me saying I am exhausted or in pain here or there or everywhere. :cry:

Think I'm just having a bad today, feeling very emotional I'm sure it will pass. I will take on board all your advice.

Thanks a lot
Jue :wine: :grouphug:
juejue
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:11 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Help / Tips on Coping