[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - My tips after 16 years of ME etc.,

My tips after 16 years of ME etc.,

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby princess » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Shoes that slip on.
Trouser with elastic bands and no zips or buttons. (matalan £8) wash like a dream
T-shirts and jumpers alternativly over the year.
When my legs are sore i put on knee length socks that helps put the heat back into your calves.
Put a extra duvet, can be an old one, under you bottom sheet as it helps you get more comfortable.
If lets are very sore put a pillow between them and lie on your side.
Vit C chewable 1000mg one or two a day when pain is bad.
Try and stay in your comfort zone, no matter what others want you to do - thats hard.
Always make sure you have a extra stash of tablets just incase you go away or you cant get the Dr.
If you cant make the drs then call them out - thats what they are paid to do.
If you are not happy with a diagnoses then ask for a second - you are allowed.
Any benefit problems go to Citizens Advice, they are a good help.
Expect to be depressed at some point, it goes with the illness as does heat/cold situation.
Hot baths dont always help.
Dont worry about taking pain killers, best you get the pain at the start.
Well thats enough for now.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Re: My tips after 16 years of ME etc.,

Postby pogster » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks for your tips. I'm going to try the pillow between my knees tonight.
Diagnosed with FM 22/3/11[/img]
pogster
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks Princess, its about time that this was started up again as we have had a lot of newbies since you were last here thank you

one tip I use is hot water bottles help ease the pain and gives a bit of comfort :wave: :wave: :wave:

oh and electric toothbrush helps relieve stress on the arms :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:17 pm

I'm glad this has started up again as well as I've found some things that help me as well :clap: :clap: :clap:

For mixing things when cooking and baking, I use either the food processor/blender or an electric hand whisk if it's a small amount. Takes a lot less time than doing the stirring by hand and isn't as painful for me.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mellabella » Sun May 01, 2011 9:51 am

Hi, great tips .. can I add one or two?

A Vax mach air vacumn cleaner.. Something i thought id never get excited over.. It's light, picks up dirt like nothing else with just one push and is so easy to empty.

Tin Foil........ line everything you cook with, with tin foil. including your cooker inside and out. Saves having to scrub stuff off.

Paper plates. ........ Just throw away, no washing.. or use them to line real plates.

Tumble dryer........ Not just for drying but if you fold your clothes when they are still hot you don't have to use an iron after... also buy clothes in materials that don't crinkle.

Blu Tack...... anything important written on paper. Tack it to the wall where it is always in your face.. don't worry that you will look like an eccentric filing clerk, You can't afford to forget things with fibro fog.

mella
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby Maria » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks for all of the tips!! This all feels very supportive, thank you! :grouphug:
How about making a flask of hot drink, when you are feeling particularly fatigued, to save those trips to the kitchen? Oh and a dog works well as a hot water bottle and a stress buster lol :dogrun1:
Maria
UKFM Member

Postby Nellyphant » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:23 am

Some great advice in this thread, thank you so much for sharing it. I already do so many of these things and have for years even though I only got dx in February. I just read about Vit C in another thread and that isn't amongst my vits and minerals that I already take.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:53 pm

My biggest tip is when you are feeling well do something nice for yourself .Don't worry about the housework that will be there when you are not .Motherelle x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby loubie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:25 am

hi all :wave:
i no a lot of us have loads of trouble with bra's
and its one of the things that drive me nuts :crazy:

i have loads of pretty bra's but over the last 2 years have not been able to wear them
just so uncomfortable :evil:
i had a :idea: moment :lol: and they don't happen very often :lol:
take the bone's out...simple!
so i did just that and managed to wear my bra nearly all day yesterday :D
also with the help of them little bra extenders for the back

some of you have probably already tried this, i am a little slow these days :tongueout:
but great i can now wear my pretty one's again and look like i have a bust :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:44 am

Nice tip Loubie :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby m2kl » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Fab thread :D

Here's mine:
I second the pillow between the knees. For arm pain use pillows to support you arms too and i put a thin one down my back to keep the heat in.
Invest in a heatpad. I wake early to put it on as then it helps with morning stiffness.
Bulk cook and freeze.
Learn to cook things quick and easy that need least effort. Slow cookers are very good.
Swap to frozen veg, saves pain from peeling and cutting.
Teach the kids to do the housework :lol: :lol:
Take the pks regularly to save pain being at its worst too often.
Try everything doctors suggest, even if your not keen as shows them your willing to try and they will continue to try to suggest things.
Keep warm. Long socks, long sleeves, coats and vests! Even in June so far for me lol!
Use a stool to climb in and out the bath, saves hurty hips.

Thats all can think of for now. Most of my tips are ME related for energy saving so if you guys want some of them let me know :)
m2kl
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:44 pm

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Niki d » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:07 am

Morning to you all,
I have not been able to iron for years now, but with jeans or trousers that need to be ironed my other half puts them under his bed mattress, a couple of days and the come out with their cresses looking like they just been ironed.

Gentle hugs to you all niki 
Niki d
UKFM Member

Postby efrem » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:53 pm

hello,just read the list of tips to help cope with fm.i to have found that an extra duvet under the bottom sheet on your bed does help to make it abit more comfortable.i have also found that an eletric massage chair and bed helps me alot(bought these second hand from local paper).take care,efrem :D :penguin:
efrem
UKFM Member

Postby Stodius » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Simply, D-Ribose and Prebio7.
Stodius
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Help / Tips on Coping