[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - collapsible walking sticks

collapsible walking sticks

Any tips on what helps you including alternative medicine.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby chopper » Thu May 05, 2011 6:27 pm

For anyone needing or thinking of buying a walking stick that folds to put in your bag, ideal for those of us who may want to take it out with us, just in case, £5.99 at any Lloyds pharmacy.
chopper
UKFM Member

Re: collapsible walking sticks

Postby denys » Thu May 05, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks Chopper :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby stevoid2005 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Or try charity shops like help the aged or YMCA i got mine for £2.99 and it was brand new and your helping a charity too
stevoid2005
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jezobelle » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with fibro at the beginning of March, so still trying to come to terms with all. I read a post where someone was asking about using a stick, but can't remember where - must be the fibro fog again! Anyway, after speaking with a friend who is in a similar situation as me, I was persuaded to use one for a month, to see what it was like. At first I hated it, found hundreds of reasons to not take it, and blamed fibro fog for forgetting it! Being in my early 40's and having always taken a price in my appearance, I felt that an ugly black or wooden stick made me look and feel like an old woman and I was very self conscious about it.

Thankfully I have a very understanding partner who went onto a website called walkingsticksonline.co.uk where they have a fantastic range, with different colours and patterns. He bought me a lovely pastel pink one, and now I won't leave home without it. It's not so much I need it for balance (unless I've really overdone it), but it gets me a seat on public transport, and is a visual aid to other people, who don't bump and push me and any more and are more sympathetic to my snails's pace. It also reminds me that I have to walk at a slower pace and take my time, meaning I'm able to pace myself better.

I'm not self conscious about it any more as I get noticed for having a pretty and unusal stick, rather than for being a 'disabled' person. I took it on holiday with us and it was a great conversation starter - I think I chatted to and made more friends this way than I've ever done before. Even the woman at customs smiled when she saw it!

So now my walking stick has become a vital part of my going out kit - I'd no more leave the house without it than I would my shoes or bag. On a good day it helps pace me, and on a bad day it supports me, and you can't ask for more than that!
Jezobelle
UKFM Newbie

Postby Nellyphant » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 am

I use walking poles instead as walking sticks put too much pressure on my shoulders which give me more problems! My physio suffested them. I have them at a height that puts my lower arm at a right angle. I always use at least 1 but sometimes I take 2.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby carrieokay » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:17 am

I like walking poles too - they have a spring in them, so I can bounce back like a Weeble.
:lol:
Carrie

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people.
carrieokay
UKFM Member

Postby karen42 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 pm

I use a walking stick.wanted to use a crutch but they seem to rub my elbows so they are no good for me.Im 42 but have been told i look a Lot younger.so when im walking around with my stick folk give me funny looks and i have also seen folk talking about me.The trouble is With fibro you may look well :( but inside you feel terrible.I was actually at some point going to get myself a t shirt printed with the words fibro sufferer,Because i was so sick of weird looks of folk :x But i dont let it bother me anymore just learnt to live with it :)
karen42
UKFM Member

Postby Sazzle » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:27 pm

I picked up a funky looking stick in Timpsons a few months ago. I have had to use it more lately as have been getting quite dizzy. Not sure if it is Fibro related, audiologist thinks it is "migraine related vertigo" but is dragging his heels with tests and the like. Mr Stick as I have named him goes with me when I go into town and always to supermarkets as supermarkets make me go very dizzy.

I do get some odd looks but I just stare back at them. Working in mental health I know how to look crazy!

Mine is black with purple and pink bits on it. I think it cost me about a tenner but I did get a 10% discount for being NHS staff. Something the Haverhill store was doing as they are close to Stoke Mandeville.
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Postby Jan42 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:23 am

try to have a smile on my face even if I'm not smiling on the inside
Jan42
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:51 pm

I have 2 pretty flowered walking sticks one blue with pink flowers and the other black with gold flowers. I ordered both online, just done a google search and loads came up cheap so if you are looking for a jazzy one go do a shop search on google.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby cherrybee » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:24 am

Hi, being a bit slow walking and unsteadybecause of the FM, then getting sciatica, my OH
bought me a stick, i felt really self conscious, and really didnt want to use
it, but, its been a godsend :D you do feel people are staring because of
the age, something i and others will have to overcome i guess
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby fredellarby » Mon May 07, 2012 2:57 am

I usually use canes i make myself with a fairly rustic/outdoors style. It makes them more interesting and fun to use.
If I use a cane for travelling, I use a 2 piece that slides apart to fit into a case or pack.
I found the multi-fold kind with a bungee cord to hold it together felt unstable. They don't interlock by much.
(male / 235 lbs)
fredellarby
UKFM Member

Postby toplessbug » Thu May 24, 2012 5:56 am

I use a folding stick now as well.
My husband and went in to the mobility shop and they want £28 for a nice ladies stick funky as well blue with pink and gold on it. (I'm only 45 didnt want a wooden one). My husband said you need let's get it, I'm a skinflint and said no, we'll check the charity shops out
Well long story short. I bought the exact same stick in the charity shop for £2.
I saved £26 xxx :) :)
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sat May 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Toplessbug - bargain!

I bought mine back in November 2010 but only started using it regularly in the last 6 weeks or so. It's a little godsend at times.

I'm super short so couldn't order the funky paisley design I wanted as the short sticks had different designs. Mine's dark red/burgundy with a large floral pattern.

Unfortunately I did see a lady with the same stick walk past me a few weeks ago. She was in her 80s, I'm 23. It was an embarrassing moment lol. The lady and her husband were just staring at me agog. I just smiled, thought 'great minds think alike' and continued on my way. My Dad and I were out together that day (he's 72 and uses his great grandfather's old wooden stick) and Dad said we were getting some funny looks. I bet we looked a right pair lol. Most people assume he's my Grandfather due to our 48 year age gap. I bet people were wondering what on earth went wrong in our family :lol:

As an aside my Maternal Grandfather (Taid - N.Walian for Grandad) is blind. He does have a white stick, but rarely uses it. He knows the town well, he went blind in his early 40s and is now in his late 70s. Both Grandparents have a Blue Badge, him for his blindness and Arthritis and my Grandmother (Nain) for Arthritis, HMS, Fibro, Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Angina. They keep Taid's white stick in the car as he doesn't need it in the house. One day my Nain was on her own in the car and someone had knocked her wing mirror out of position when she'd been in the supermarket. She only noticed once in the car and used Taid's white stick to correct the mirror by pushing it back in place. She looked up to a group of horrified onlookers - as she was the only one in the car they must have assumed she was about to drive off, despite being unable to see :crazy:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby millymoodoo » Sat May 26, 2012 3:25 pm

I don't want to put a damper on this topic but just a warning!! I used a folding walking stick for several weeks just for support really and this particular day i lost my balance and put more pressure on the stick and it collapsed. I had a nasty fall which resulted in me breaking my arm. Since then the physiotherapist advised me to use 2 crutches which also gave me more support on the elbow which i feel asecure with. I couldn't believe that it folded up on me like that. If this message helps one person i will be pleased i posted.

Milly xx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Return to Help / Tips on Coping