IS FIBROMYALGIA CONSTANT PAIN ?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

IS FIBROMYALGIA CONSTANT PAIN ?

Postby Joolz1968 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:26 am

I need some help in understanding Fibromyalgia . I was diagnosed seven years ago. I have since been diagnosed with CFS also but what I really want to know is whether other fellow sufferers have attacks of this pain or whether it is constant pain all the time .
I had my first attack [ which was the very worst ] and it last five months . Last year had another attack which lasted eight months .
I can have face pain for a few hours and pain all over body and then as quick as it came it can leave . Your thoughts would be appreciated :)
Joolz1968
UKFM Member

Re: IS FIBROMYALGIA CONSTANT PAIN ?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 31, 2011 11:49 am

FM seems to affect us all so differently. Some of us (myself included) have pain all the time, whereas others may only have pain at times when things flare up for them, so it's not a question we can give you a definitive answer to.

I'm in constant pain from head to toe, with different areas increasing in intensity randomly. Today my spine feels like it has been attacked by a pneumatic drill whilst the rest of me feels like I've been flattened by a steam roller. None of my meds have touched it all so I'm shuffling round again :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Tue May 31, 2011 12:04 pm

I agree with Flup, I have pain all the time, but it can move. The pain in my neck and arms is there constantly but some of the other pains can be intense some times but can lessen in intensity at others.

Its as individual as the effects meds have on each of us :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby scottiedog » Tue May 31, 2011 12:21 pm

Yep me three! I can have times when the pain is worse like now because i've developed a problem with my foot bjt the fibro pain is constant. Today the only part of me that has no pain at all is my jaw. But then i've had to go out two days in a row so i knew it would happen.
A woman i know who lives nearby though only has pain during a flare and the rest of the time she mainly deals with the tiredness etc.
Mue
scottiedog
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue May 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi
I am in pain 24/7 but do get days where the pain increases even a change in the weather affects me.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby tonydin » Tue May 31, 2011 6:24 pm

im in pain 905 of the time but it moves from here to ther to here to ther from here to ther and so on
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:58 pm

I do have days when I am pain free ,unfortuantely not at the moment though seem to be in the middle of a flare .Motherelle x :facepalm:
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby Jojostar » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi,I'm in pain most of the time then it flares up and I feel like my elbows and ankles,soles of my feet are being drilled,it's really bad,then when you add the sleepiness into the mix it's horrible.I feel like I'm wasting away my life sleeping all the time,I used to be so active but I just have to accept this is how it is and take one day at a time
Jojostar
UKFM Member

Postby diane1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:05 am

Same again i'm afraid I have pain constantly. It does however go from pain at say level 7 to pain at level 10 when I need morphine. A consultant explained it to me recently that research he had read stated ;

You might start off at pain at level 2 then you might have aflare up in which the pain intensifies to level 5 . When the flare up ends you might go back to level 2 but it could drop to level 4. You then carry on like this until another flare up could give pain at level 7 you may drop to level 4 or stay at level 7 but you will never get back to level 2 again.

This did seem to fit in with my fibro. Ive had it for 6 years and the pain has increased in this time. I've never got back to were I started and the pain meds increasing have supported this. This of course is still in the research stages but from reading all these blogs it would seem this is how it goes.

As I have said many times the only thing that helps me cope is the fact that its not life threatening and I'll see my children grow up.
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:59 am

diane1 wrote:Same again i'm afraid I have pain constantly. It does however go from pain at say level 7 to pain at level 10 when I need morphine. A consultant explained it to me recently that research he had read stated ;

You might start off at pain at level 2 then you might have aflare up in which the pain intensifies to level 5 . When the flare up ends you might go back to level 2 but it could drop to level 4. You then carry on like this until another flare up could give pain at level 7 you may drop to level 4 or stay at level 7 but you will never get back to level 2 again.

This did seem to fit in with my fibro. Ive had it for 6 years and the pain has increased in this time. I've never got back to were I started and the pain meds increasing have supported this. This of course is still in the research stages but from reading all these blogs it would seem this is how it goes.

As I have said many times the only thing that helps me cope is the fact that its not life threatening and I'll see my children grow up.

What you've said here Di is pretty much what my GP has said to me, and how things have progressed for me as well. From starting with it, what may have seemed like it was going up to 7 or 8 is now what would be regarded as 3 or 4, and what now is an 8 would probably have been an 12 to 13 in the earlier days :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

We just have to keep hoping that the research comes up with something that will help makes things better for us :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby diane1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:36 pm

Fluffy Puffy

I'm so glad you were told the same as well as it seems that there are Drs out there who actually know what its all about. Like you am just hoping for a break through in the research. :fingerscrossed:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:51 pm

24/7 for me too :( would love love love a pain free day or even an hour :cry:
my good days are an aching all over with the odd sharp stab and electric shocks :roll:

with each flare i am getting worse :cry:
:fingerscrossed: they find something soon for all of us :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems