For juliem re fm and mini strokes

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

For juliem re fm and mini strokes

Postby newyorkyankees27 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:58 am

Hi Julie
Just read one of your postings re MRI scans and you said you had a mini stroke last year. If you dont mind me asking, did the doctors give you any reasons for it? Since last September when my FM symptoms really took hold I started having T.I.A's but they are always unexplained t.i.a's as my vitals ie blood pressure etc are always fine. My face drops on the left hand side and I feel sick and a bit light headed but they have done all the tests, m.r.i scans etc and nothing has shown up. One of my stroke consultants said I didnt have them and said I had a problem with my neck and some nerves leading from my neck were causing my face to drop, however I went to see a consultant regarding this as per the stroke consultant and he said no it definitely is not stemming from the neck, so now I am waiting for another appointment from the stroke clinic to try and get to the bottom of it.

Alyson
newyorkyankees27
UKFM Member

Re: For juliem re fm and mini strokes

Postby denys » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi Alyson you could have PM'd Julie to make sure she see's the post or attached it to the end of her original post, moving this to Associatd and other health problems as it's more appropriate hope Julie gets back to you
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby juliem » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Alyson sorry just seen this. Mine was very mild. I was in the garden and called my dog in. Came out as complete rubbish. Tried again. Still rubbish. Felt "disconnected". The radio seemed not to make sense. They were talking about Simon Cowel and all i could think was "Well i know who he is but Simon isn't his name." Then I got a bit freaked. couldn't remember any of my neighbours names. After about 15 mins I rang my husband. Said I was fine but he said I wasn't as I was concentrating so hard to talk.

My 17 year old was at home so i woke him up then took one of our dogs for a walk. My son made me go to the dr. I knew something was wrong. My Dad had a stroke at 44.

Anyway referred to TIA clinic and loads of tests. CT scan, MRI, loads of heart. The final conclusion was it was a mini stroke but very mild. they considered migraines as I had these as a teenager (I was 48 when this happened). The MRI showed some white spots showing where the blood supply had been interrupted.

As to why. My cholesterol was a little high but I am not really overweight. I think I am, Iam the heaviest I've ever been, but they say !hey, your a middle aged woman"lol. They decided its genetic and sticky blood. So I am on blood thinners and aspirin. Since then become severly anaemic so looks like I might be allergic to aspirin. Had an endoscopy today.

I am sure they will sort this for you. I kept saying to my guy look I've only had the one. His response was "how do you know"? If you hadn't opened your mouth you wouldn't have known". Should say my carotid artery was clear, I have never smoked.Have they checked your carotid? Good luck with all this.
Feel free to pm me :goodluck1: if you need anymore info.
Julie
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby newyorkyankees27 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:15 am

Hi Julie, hope you didnt mind me asking. I was put on tramadol on Sept 2nd last year for the pain in my hip. Never been on that medicine before. The following day I took my doseage, went up for a sleep as it seemed to knock me for six. Woke up a couple of hours later when my husband came home and he said I looked terrible. I looked in the mirror and my face had dropped. Obviously panic set in. I think my speach was a bit slurred at the time but I think we put this down to the medication. In hospital overnight, they sent me home on asprin and blood thinners and told to stay off the tramadol as they didnt know if this caused it or not.
Exactly a week later the same thing happened - but without the tramadol. Admitted again, apparantly my cholesterol was up a bit and they put me on medication for that. Since then I have had various appointments with consultants and then I was told by one that it wasnt t.i.a's but something in my neck and as I said previously that was proved wrong.
I am still waiting for my appointment again with the stroke clinic so hopefully will get some answers this time.
Thanks for your time on this Julie and wish you well.
newyorkyankees27
UKFM Member

Postby juliem » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:07 pm

You poor thing. Mine was completely out of the blue. I don't take anything for my fibro. My dad, who had a stroke (very bad)at 44 was so unhealthy and took so much medication that I am very resistant.

Look after yourself and hopefully you will get some resolution soon.
juliem
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems