jaw pain/ clunking

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

jaw pain/ clunking

Postby cherryblossom » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi All. :wave: I've had a very loud 'clunking' jaw for many years, sometimes it's painful. I wondered if this is TMJD? I remember vaguely telling my gp about it and he said something that it's fibro related. The only thing I get really bad with it is that when I eat it clunks all the time but whilst I chewing it suddenly sort of 'clamps' involuntarily and usually bites my lip quite painfully :( ! There's nothing I can do to stop it and there's never any warning but my lip and inner cheeks get quite sore from it! Do any of you get it or something similar :mrgreen: ? Just wondered. Thanks for any replies. Take care all. Cherry :blowkiss:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Re: jaw pain/ clunking

Postby denys » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:04 am

Hi Cherry the best thing would be to go to your dentist mine sent me for xrays and they of course showed nothing so I was given a mouth guard to wear which didnt suit me as it made me grind my teeth even more :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby pixiecat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:15 pm

I get the clinking when eating to a point the my OH can hear me across the room!!
I dont have it snapping shut like you but do have times when it feels like it wont close properly, and feels like its out of
alinement I did ask my dentist about it and she gave me a good checkup but couldnt find anything wrong
I would get it checked to make sure its nothing, I have just had a result that I could blame FM but it wasnt, as I now
have asthma but thought it was just lack of exercise that got me out of breath.

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby tonydin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:28 pm

classic TMJD im afriad
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby gail73 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 pm

I also have this, I cant open my mouth very wide without it clicking and when I go to open my mouth it cracks sometimes very loudly and painfully. My rheumatolagist says this is very common with FM. My lower jaw also seems to be receded.
gail73
UKFM Newbie

Postby loubie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:12 pm

i have had this for years
had it checked out with the dentist at the hospital
over 20 years ago but said nothing is wrong :dunno:
so have just lived with it
its worse when i eat crusty bread my jaw really clicks and hubby says
it sounds like i have false teeth in that are not fixed in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but it can be very painful and :oops: :oops: at times
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby cherryblossom » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi. Thanks guys for your replies, they've been very helpful . Yes Gail, like you my jaw makes horrid clunking when I yawn or eat, anyone sat near me (as far as the other side of the sitting room) can hear it :oops: , hence why it's so embarrassing when I eat! My jaw is also receeded, something it never used to be, altho with age I think that does happen a little, but at 39 I think maybe a tad early! I think I'll talk to my dentist next time I see him, hopefully he'll be able to look into it. Take care all. Thanks again. :D :hugs: Cherry
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby ladyofwales » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:31 am

I have problems with me jaw too. Very simular to what ive heared. I have had a rubbish dentist unfortunately and now i have one that just does the basics, i had a check up 2 months ago, she said all was ok but i have too teeth that need fillings and lots of other problems. I know this because i had a private appointment with a private dentist to find out what was wrong with my teeth, he showed me that i needed at least £1500.00 of work doing straight away and other work that needed doing too, including a crown that is ill fitting and fillings that are not done properly. I could not afford to have the work done with the private dentist and the other dentist could not see any of the things i said as real problems. Although they are affecting me baddly.
Do the injections work for you? they never seem to for me.. i feel it. so i will not have anything done now. Last time i had an injection my jaw was really bad for nearly 2 weeks, i could not open my mouth..
ladyofwales
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems