Going to the Toilet

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Going to the Toilet

Postby angelmum » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi everyone Im new on here. :wave: I was just wondering if anybody has trouble going to the toilet for number 2. It took me months to talk to the Doctor I was so embarresed when I go I get shooting pains up my spine so I tend to try and not to go. but just make things alot worst. Any Idears plz would be gratful. Thanks. :wave:
angelmum
UKFM Newbie

Re: Going to the Toilet

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

I've moved your post into here Ann as it's a more suitable board for what you're asking about :wave: :wave:

Have you had this problem for a while or is it a recent development?? Quite a few of us have problems with irritable bladders and/or IBS, which could be a reason for what you're feeling :dunno: :dunno: Or could there be something in your diet that you eat on a regular basis that is causing something like constipation??

With anything new, worsening and worrying symptom-wise, it's always worth having them checked by your GP to try and find what is causing the problem. I know this sort of thing is rather :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: but it sounds like it needs checking, if talking about it is really too :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: then maybe writing it all down, taking the list with you and giving it to your GP to read thru might be a bit easier. Your GP could then start the conversation off and you might not feel quite so :oops: :oops: :oops:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Have you tried any of the herbal products that help soften stools and make it easier to go, I would imagine putting off going will end up making you constipated and the situation worse.

If you do decide to go down that route you will have to check with your GP or pharmacist that the product will not interact with any meds you are already on. Just one other thing did your gp not offer you anything??? :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:55 am

Hi. Welcome to my world, suffered from constipation for years, pretty sure it's IBS - I'm currently trying a modified diet for the Rheumy but I'm going to ask soon for a referral/testing for IBS.

I saw my GP, it was embarrassing but a lot of my meds (well, all of my meds) cause constipation so I said I was having some bad side effects and could they please prescribe something? I was given lactulose which helped but eventually I had to go back and get more, this time Senna, as well.

Basically you have 3 types of laxative;

- bulk inducing e.g. fibre drinks. These encourage a stool to form to tell your bowel it's full and time to go.
- softeners e.g. lactulose, these soften your stool to make it easier to go
- 'encouragers' (not technical term lol) e.g. Senna, these tell your body to open the bowels and go basically

I found Senna and Lactulose a pretty good combination for a while. Eventually my meds were changed, I do still get constipated but nowhere near as bad. I do occasionally need Senna to help if I get a bit sluggish.

I would go back to your GP, constipation can cause you to feel ill and weepy as your body literally is full of you know what. Get yourself some relief, whether it's senna or some other laxative. You can even get suppositries (sp?) which you pop up there whilst on a toilet and just wait a few mins and bam!

Your GP can also advise on any dietry changes you can try. I find eating high-fibre foods, cereals, beans and pulses etc with lots of fruit and veg helps me go longer between flares of the constipation.

:fingerscrossed: you feel better soon.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby dood » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi i have suffered with this .the doctor said its because ofthe meds im on.i tried some stuff you buy over the counter but never worked.the doctor gave me a perscription for MOVICOL. 2 sachets a day and youll be ok :goodluck1:
dood
UKFM Newbie

Postby Nellyphant » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:50 am

Definitely see your GP about this. My Mum took me to the Dr's in 1974 at the grand old age of 4 with constipation so I've basically had IBS my entire life. I've changed meds and methods about over the years as I've found that things stop working for me after a while. I'm back onto lactulose now. I take it every other day and a couple of hours after taking it things are moving. It gives me hardly any stomach cramps like table laxatives do.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby Hetty249 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:20 am

I suffer with IBS and go from one extreme to the other, some of the names mentioned I can;t take because of the terrible gripes I get- I am on Co-danthrusate which I take two every night which is a stool softener, and when I really can't go have to have bisocodyl , I can't take lactolose because I really can't take liquid meds, I really gag :(
On the other extreme when I can't stop going, I have loperamide.
Hetty249
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems