Breathing difficulty

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Breathing difficulty

Postby suzanne » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Hello, I was diagnosed last December after years of pain, but I have so many problems and now everything seems to be put down as fibro, I have had breathing problems for years, and have been unable to take a deep breath , also walking ,especially in the heat, is near impossible,I will start, and then unable to put one foot in front of another. Problem is last year I was sent for tests at hospital and everthing is supposed to be ok. regarding heart and lungs ,it got so bad that I was coughing constantly, within the last few weeks I have had inhalers steroinds, which only made me worse, now I was given a half betta blocker, I believe to relieve the migrane which was caused by the inhaler. good news is after the first tablet I was able to take a deep breath ,and the coughing is not bad, however the breathing when I walk is still the same. SO, is this to do with fibro or something else, Im sure my dr thinks its panic attacks, I know its not, and my breathing is slow, not palpatations. so anyone else have this ,and why does it happen,
Thank you for any help in advance, Suzanne
suzanne
UKFM Newbie

Re: Breathing difficulty

Postby busy mummy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi Suzanne

Complex question but here goes.

Usually us fibromites have some anxiety problems, wether we recognise it or not. This means that your breathing is always in 'fight or flight' mode , so you breathe from the chest (shallow breathing) rather than from the abdomen.

find some breathing exercises to reverse this, but be careful not to go in to the realms of 'over breathing'. This will at best cause you hiccoughs, or at worst hyperventilation.

If you want to test my theory, get a paper bag and breathe in and out through it, you will soon see my point.

Sarah x
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi I dont really have problems with my breathing as such but get pain around my ribs sometimes. Try Sarah's suggestion but if things dont improve then go back and pester your doc again to get some more tests done :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi Suzanne
You should go back to your GP and get another check over, i do feel my breathing is slow but i dont have difficulty in breathing, it could be an infection so best get it looked at. :goodluck1: :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby suzanne » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. To get some sleep also would be good, I have stopped taking the ampy,as I have been so doped all the time stopped about a month ago ,but do you think it would work to take a couple of times a week just to get some sleep, the dr has not offered me any alternatives.thank you ,Suzanne
suzanne
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:30 pm

:wave:

one of my worst symptoms is tight breathing

The muscles around my rib cage tighten up and i struggle to take deep breaths... breathing exercises help

Im that bad that my physio has to lay me on each side and streeeeeeeetch the muscles inbetween each rib and then streeeetch the front chest wall and round the back so i can breath :)

an inhalor helped a little
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby denys » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Sounds so painful Lisa, :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Suzanne, the problem with taking things like ami's occasionally is they dont get into your system properly so you wont get the full benefit from them, if you feel too dopey on the level you are taking then ask your doc to reassess the amount you are on, maybe you need to start on a lower dose and work your way up :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby gillshutt » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:24 am

Re the ami's I was the same... half asleep all the time. Now I take Nytol one a night capsules which you can get yourself from the chemist. I take them at the weekend when I know it doesn't matter about what time I get up. But my husband tried them and they did nothing at all so it's possible they may not work.

I don't have breathing problems (well I do I have asthma and costochondritis but that's another story lol) but my son has fm symptoms and has th esame problem... he sits there like a fish out of water trying to get enough air in. He too has been given an inhaler which helps a little but doesn't work long term or all the time. Breathing exercises may help.

Try sitting upright and taking a slow breath in through your mouth, make sure you 'inflate' your stomach as well as your chest (pretend you're an opera singer) then let it out slowly through your nose. Keep doing this until you feel calmer and as though you are breathing properly. Also try not to worry when you are having problems breathing problems as it can make it worse.

Hope this helps a bit xx
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby hamstergirl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:07 am

Hi

I've had problems with my lungs (or so i thought), feeling as though there was just enough air to breathe and i couldnt find any to talk.

After many trips to my gp he took a breath test (one of those things you blow into 3 times). He said my reading is way low for my age. He then sent me to go on oxygen for 20 mins to see if it made a difference. Came back and my reading was the same, which app ruled out a lot of things. He says there doesnt appear to be a lot of air in my lungs.

When i went to the pain clinic we did a session on deep breathing, trying to breath from your stomach. I was the only one who just couldnt do it. They did say if you dont breath from your stomach, like busymum says, your only breathing from your chest and therefore it will be shallow. i now realise this is what ive been doing. When i have episodes of this shallow breathing i sit down and do two deep breaths and it does feel as though i'm opening my lungs. I dont do it too much because it can cause hyperventilation too.

I took ami for 3 months and went to see my gp saying i didnt want to continue with them (putting weight on). He told me i can take them now and again when i want to sleep all night and this way works for me.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby Azz » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:57 am

I am still in the process of being diagnosed but I have been having breathing problems for over a year now, but I experience it as a tightening in the throat which makes me struggle to breathe, and you can hear like a crackling sound as I breathe in and out. Anyone else have symptoms like this.

I used to suffer with asthma up until 16 years ago when I gave up smoking so I know this is different to how I used to feel when I had an asthma attack.
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:26 am

Sorry Azz I would go back to the docs to get this checked out if I were you
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems