Need to wee but cannot get going!!!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Need to wee but cannot get going!!!

Postby legacy69 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:48 am

Hi, bit of an embarrassing topic I know...but here goes!

I was diagnosed with FM 2 years ago and have noticed over this past year several new 'symptoms' which I think are unusual. They seem to chop and change, so I can experience cloudy vision for say 10 days , then nothing for months. Also spasms have started where an arm or leg may suddenly jerk. Very weird feeling! Anyhow here's my question...
Recently I have been wanting to go to the loo for no.1's and when i get there, although the normal urge is there so to speak, I cannot seem to start to pass urine! It's not cystitis (having had that many moons ago) as I have a full bladder, and when eventually my body seems to realise what to do , i proceed to have a normal wee!! This is getting annoying and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this??? :fingerscrossed:
legacy69
UKFM Member

Re: Need to wee but cannot get going!!!

Postby barbara1972 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 am

Please get checked out for kidney stones which can sometimes get trapped before you pass them.
barbara1972
UKFM Member

Postby Azz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:01 am

I would pay your doctor a visit, i had a water infection once, the only symptom was unable to go to wee, no pain, once treatment started everything went back to normal.
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:15 am

With anything new, worsening or worrying with symptoms it's always better to have it checked out, just in case there is something else causing the problem :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby tireesix » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:39 pm

I get this, got scanned, checked for infection etc etc etc....... Nowt came up.

It can take AGES before Is tart peeing, the urologist type said that I may need bits to be widened but I don't think thats the problem. I think the sphincter thing at the exit of my bladder just goes into spasm. I sit there and will myself into relaxation mode and it will eventually happen but it can be very painful (hence why I think its a spasm thing rather than anything else).

Go to your doc, get checked out but I spect it will be similar to me. I did have kidney stones once and it does feel similar but there weren't any stones on the scan. Also, with kidney stones you tend to get blood etc in the urine as well. I also found with kidney stones that I could start peeing ok but then it would suddenly stop and suddenly it was like being in labour, trying to push something out........
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby xl5 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 pm

I get same thing! I doubt its stones - no blood/pain, just the discomfort of urging to start and not getting going for sometimes 7 minutes. Think you're right - sphincter going into spasm.
xl5
UKFM Member

Postby shrimp » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:38 pm

yes me too - usually durin the night - think am going to wet myself sit on loo and nothing for ages, try changing position and breath to relax till eventually it happens,,,, very annoying...
shrimp xx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:54 am

hio hope you dont mind a guy jioning your ladies conversation , my wife was talking about her mother who died of a stroke some years ago and after being hospitialised , and i siad i could not remember why she was taken in in the first place , wife said it was urine retention caused by taking amatriptaline for to long ( depresson) she was also on another traqiliser for IBS which the docs said gave her a type of parkingsons , i cant remember the name of it ,
my wifes a nurse and semed pretty shure of the amatriptaline side effect though , most of you are on that so my be worth checking if you do have this problem .
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:04 am

pulled this of wiki

The main two side effects that occur from taking amitriptyline are drowsiness and a dry mouth. Other common side effects of using amitriptyline are mostly due to its anticholinergic activity, including: weight gain, changes in appetite, muscle stiffness, nausea, constipation, nervousness, dizziness, blurred vision, urinary retention, insomnia and changes in sexual function. Some rare side effects include seizures, tinnitus, hypotension, mania, psychosis,

looks like she was correct
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:25 am

I don't take ami!!!!! Thinking......... I don't take anything that should affect my ability to wee. Also this has been going on forever and getting worse no matter what medication I take......
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:02 pm

tonydin wrote:hio hope you dont mind a guy jioning your ladies conversation , my wife was talking about her mother who died of a stroke some years ago and after being hospitialised , and i siad i could not remember why she was taken in in the first place , wife said it was urine retention caused by taking amatriptaline for to long ( depresson) she was also on another traqiliser for IBS which the docs said gave her a type of parkingsons , i cant remember the name of it ,
my wifes a nurse and semed pretty shure of the amatriptaline side effect though , most of you are on that so my be worth checking if you do have this problem .
tony

tonydin wrote:pulled this of wiki

The main two side effects that occur from taking amitriptyline are drowsiness and a dry mouth. Other common side effects of using amitriptyline are mostly due to its anticholinergic activity, including: weight gain, changes in appetite, muscle stiffness, nausea, constipation, nervousness, dizziness, blurred vision, urinary retention, insomnia and changes in sexual function. Some rare side effects include seizures, tinnitus, hypotension, mania, psychosis,

looks like she was correct
tony

Thanks for that Tony, it could be of help to some on here :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby deathvalleydemon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Im having the exact ooposite, i CANNOT stop weeing.

went to the doctors and they performed some tests on my wee and blood and they said there is no infection...

i feel i need to go, but when i get there, there is the smallest trickle that comes out.. and before i come away from the toilet i need to go again...
deathvalleydemon
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:31 pm

I was having a very similar to you dvd, earlier in the year. Went to see my GP, had a battery of tests done and it turns out I have diabetes. If the tests were to only rule out the possibility of an infection, it might be worth asking about the possibility of tests to check things like your BG level, just in case there is something else causing the excessive urination issue.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Amberwillow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm

I have this problem... worse if I get tired.. sit down.. full bladder... wait... and nothing. Got referred to a Urologist last month, had a bladder video cystagram... nothing showed up.. he said he thinks it's the FM.

He also warned me off of taking Amitryptyline.. saying that in some people it can cause urinary retention which would be a no-no for me. (Some people, NOT all, can get this with it).

My osteopath told me that another thing is... if you're really struggling for a pee... it's ok as a last resort to push above your pubic bone.. if you feel you need to get pee out and it won't come out.

What I tend to do, is pee little and often... and then.. when I think I've finished.. stand up.. sit down.. and try to pee again. Sometimes changing your posture helps. :)
“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”—Thomas Merton
Amberwillow
UKFM Member

Postby dvaidr » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:36 pm

I have this from time to but I put it down to the Gabapentin I'm taking. Same symptoms. Frustrating and embarrassing in the Gents standing at the trough. I get funny looks when they I stand there for what look like minutes. They must think I'm a willy-watcher!
dvaidr
UKFM Newbie

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems