Thyroid or Fibromyalgia

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Thyroid or Fibromyalgia

Postby Azz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:26 am

Although my Dr. mentioned Fibromyalgia and wants to rule out otherthings first (having blood test tomorrow) I think it is my thyroid as I have all the symptoms although they are so much like the symptoms of Fibromyalgia.

Reading others comments on Fibro and how to pace themselves in order not to get too tired and increase their pain, over the weekend I have been doing just that and although I have still needed to rest throughout the day I have found that the pain is not so intense this morning.

I just need to find out if the same would apply to pacing yourself and Thyroid problems would pacing yourself help with the pain or do you think this ponts more to me having Fibromyalgia (I am not on any medication at present other than painkillers and HRT as I had a hysterectomy 14 years ago).

The one thing I have not been able to find out about is that there are times during the day that I feel as though my airways are not clear and I struggle slightly to breathe. It is as though my airway is swollen and pressing slightly on my esophagus, does anyone who has Fibro also experience this or is this a Thyroid thing?
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Re: Thyroid or Fibromyalgia

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:59 am

The only way to determine whether it is your thyroid or FM causing your problems is to have a test done. Hopefully the tests you're having done will include a thyroid check, then you'll know whether it is or if it has been discounted. FM shares symptoms with a number of other conditions and can mimic other problems as well, this is why the various tests you'll have had are done, to rule out all these other possibilities. It's only after these possibilities have been ruled out that a dx of FM is given.

I think pacing can help anyone, regardless of them having an illness or not. Managing their time more effectively would not only help with things getting done, it could help with their potential stress levels etc.

I haven't experienced anything like you've described with my oesophagus, and as I haven't got thyroid problems, don't know what could be the cause of it. It might be worth asking your GP about it, just in case there is something else causing the sensation.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems