Abscessed tooth set off flare up

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Abscessed tooth set off flare up

Postby sheebee » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:24 am

Hi i started with toothache last week that turned into an abscess on my molar but since then i am in agony with my fibro headaches neck pain my jaw top and bottom hurts like hell despite antibiotics and painkillers. Having the tooth out tomorrow but dreading it in case pain gets worse. Has anyone else suffered this i feel so low at the moment :(
sheebee
UKFM Member

Re: Abscessed tooth set off flare up

Postby loubie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:05 am

hi sheebee
i have very sensitive teeth :yikes:
good luck today :fingerscrossed: it will make it all better for you :hugs:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby sheebee » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:11 am

Well i had the offending tooth out yesterday it was awful took about 20 mins the tugging was awful got split bottom lip as well. Today the pain is no better really bad one sided headache jaw and cheek very painful now wished never been :cry: taking paracetamol and ibruprofen but not really helping wonder if can get anything stronger
sheebee
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:24 am

Try your docs, I had a tooth out due to abcess a few months ago and it took about a week for the pain to settle down to acceptable levels so its worth going to see if they can give you something :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tireesix » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:03 am

I am prone to tooth problems due to EDS, I have had a number of tooth abscesses lolol. Luvverly thing to suffer from.

I had one where I ended up in hospital with emergency surgery and stuck on a drip for a couple of days it was that bad............. (I also have an on/off heart murmur so dentists won't extract my teeth in the clinic anyway, I always have to go to hospital for tooth extractions anyway.......... Image Is what I looked like with that abscess and believe it or not, it got bigger, the photo was taken not long before I went to hospital.

Your back teeth are bigger and they have more roots if I am thinking correctly, the nerve is already hyperalert due to fibro, then add in the abscess and that makes it even worse and then having the tooth out will make it even worse (I am talking about the pain).

I have always always found a combination of paracetaml, ibuprofen and codeine the best mix (I can't really take codeine due to side effects but for abscesses I always opt for it), add a bit of caffeine to the mix as well.

Docs etc like to think that pain killers just kill pain, so if you are on morphine you shuoldn't be getting headaches etc etc, but I have found that different painkillers work best in different situations and paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine are definitely what I find best for tooth matters.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Looks HUGE
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tireesix » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Yeah, was pretty uncomfortable and that was only the 3rd day of symptoms in spite of having high doses of oral antibiotics.

Sheebee, how you doing now??? Is it starting to cal down a bit??? I suggest you take it easy for a while. An abscess isn't good for the body in the first place, never mind having fibro on top.

Hope you are feeling more comfortable, even if it is just a wee bit.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby sheebee » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks it has eased a bit though still very sore especially my jaw. Think my jaw more painful from the dentists than where the tooth was. :( Am off work now for 2 weeks so hopefully my flare up will settle by then :fingerscrossed:
sheebee
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems