balance problems

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

balance problems

Postby karen42 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi all
does anyone on the forum suffer with balance problems.I have done now for a while when im standing still i feel like im rocking slowly back and forth ive actually nearly fallen over backwards with it.Its like that feeling you have when you have had one two many.Could it be down to the fibro
karen42
UKFM Member

Re: balance problems

Postby shazq » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi Karen

Yes i have balance problems, i have had a few falls, i use a walking stick now. :roll:

When i get out of bed in the morning i wobble like i have been drinking :lol: :lol: My stick has saved me a few times while being out. :D
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:09 pm

Yep I have a stick for in the house and a pair of crutches for outside :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Amberwillow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:52 pm

I do too (not got a stick but my balance goes depending on how tired I am). Got up the other night and did an amazing comedy walk/stagger across the room... OH said "OMG.. what's wrong with you.. it's like you're drunk" (whilst stifling a slight laugh)... by the time I got back to the room.. balance was back to normal.. until the next day.

Often go to fall in work if I've been on my feet too long. I'd say it's definitley an FM thingy :(
“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”—Thomas Merton
Amberwillow
UKFM Member

Postby karen42 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 pm

thanks for the replys.I also use a walking stick carnt use crutches has im only small in height and they rub against my elbows and my inner elbows are very tender.The balance problems are a pain i know exatley what you are going through.Im so glad i have got someone to talk to with the same problems as myself this forum is exactley what i needed im so glad i joined thanks once again :)
karen42
UKFM Member

Postby funnybunny » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:55 pm

sometimes if you saw me stagger around the house you would swear i was very drunk - i dont drink - this is usually in the first half of the day and if i dont get a rest in afternoon, i usually spend the rest of the day bouncing off walls and grabbing furniture - even when im out i use 2 crutches and still stagger all over the place - i have on average about 5 falls on a good week and i wont even go into a bad week

majority of the time even when lying down my body feels - this is my own description bear with me - like a half filled bottle lying on its side with a stormy sea floating inside - i look perfectly still on the outside and sometimes even get nausea and very dizzy from this

no ear probelms detected so its been put down to fibro as kicked off around the same time fibro took its grip on me
funnybunny
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Balance problems for me as well, it was one of the first things to appear for me and led to me being treated for the wrong condition for quite a while :facepalm: :facepalm: I'm always very wobbly and getting up in a rush in an absolute :nono: :nono: :nono: And that's without the nausea getting involved :facepalm: :facepalm:

If it's new, worsening or generally giving you cause for concern, it might be worth having it checked as there are various conditions, such as Meniere's Disease, labrynthitis or even an acoustic neuroma that can make you feel unbalanced and dizzy.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby nutty1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:26 pm

:yikes: me too .i have actually had someone tut in my face and say it was disgusting to be shopping in that state .how embarrasing for my oh to have support me whilst drunk . :shock: i hadnt had a drink for 10 years :swear1: :swear1:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby animalhouse » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:09 am

i can barely pick my feet up due to back/hip pains so i always say my feet land whereever they land i have no control even using a stick, so it it is crowded whilst out i cannot really divert my direction and have to rely on others moving out of the way or walking into them.

i also walk into furniture alot too, i am covered in bruises but dno;t know how i got them as either all the painkillers mask the pain, or it is just another acute pain so don;t think its any different to any others.

even the slightest slope causes concentre legs and i can barlely lift my legs up so i start of walking okish on the flat, but graduak get slower and slower or smaller and smaller steps get taken and i cantt keep up with family when out.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Azz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:24 am

I have the odd balance problem when I am walking, but now and again will find myself tottering off to the side slightly before I regain my balance. To prevent me from embaracement I just try to joke it off by saying I had too much whiskey in my tea :mrgreen: (I do not drink by the way)
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Postby Miranda1987 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:57 am

I always get massive balance problems as well, combine that with the pains I get in my legs and I have to go about on crutches when it's bad now.... I always seem to gravitate towards furniture, I think fibro includes some sort of magnet for wooden tables and desks lol! :D

nutty1 wrote::yikes: me too .i have actually had someone tut in my face and say it was disgusting to be shopping in that state .how embarrasing for my oh to have support me whilst drunk . :shock: i hadnt had a drink for 10 years :swear1: :swear1:

That's awful, I can't believe anyone would even think of saying anything at all! :hit1: People's attitudes make things like fibro so much more difficult to grin and bear. Being me, I probably would have gone over and said something rude, :swear1: good thing my OH talks me out of things like that lol, I can be pretty fiesty if I'm having a bad day! :D
You only regret the things you haven't done in life-so do everything you can! :D

That's right, I said fibromyalgia is a bain in my pottom!.........Oh, wait!
Miranda1987
UKFM Member

Postby mand » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:32 pm

i also have problems with balance but its seperate from fibro... i have attacks of vertigo every now and then and if the fluid is not balanced in my ears i seem to totter off.... and i can fall over with noise when i have vertigo, look up and im on my bum :crazy:

i have noticed some times that i do not pick my feet up when walking and i then do a fast, trip, stumbling walk, i dont know if its my legs not going up as high, i concentrate when im doing this but still end up stumbling...its so embarrasing, even my gals have noticed this :wine: and not touched a drop of the ole vino :twodrinking2:
mand
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:37 pm

hii i sometines get a feeling evry things tilting to the right but not very often , however when pians are bad i wallow aeound as if drunk .. looks great when getting in the car ??????/

tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby trafficklights » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Hello I have ballance problems too. I tripped and broke my hip 2years ago age then 52 then recently diagnosed with this im terrified of falling again knocked my confidence for six.
trafficklights
UKFM Member

balance problems

Postby boomermctea » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Yep another one here, I stumble quite badly sometimes but I have not actually fallen thank god. Sometimes I can do quite a dance when I am getting dressed. My son seems to think it's because I don't look where I'm going but believe me I look very carefully because when I stumble the pain that it causes will be with me for the rest of the day.
Boomer
boomermctea
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems