RA and FM

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: RA and FM

Postby wanita2k » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:20 am

hi I've just been diagnosed with both RA and FMS and completely understand where u are coming from i am also feeling so low at the moment as this has completely changed my life, i'm 37 with a husband and 2 teenage sons and since Oct have struggled with the pain and discomfort and with it being so sudden the illness taking over people didn't believe that there was anything wrong as i was previously very active working and looking after relatives that are ill themselves. i feel like my life has just stopped at the moment the pain medication for the FMS don't work for more than 1to 2 hours and they have just started me on treatment for the RA which has knocked me for 6. i understand u feeling low cos it appears to be never-ending and myself i struggle with the fact i was fit healthy and had a good relationship with my husband and since xmas i haven't been able to go upstairs more than a handful of times and so i'm living or should i say existing in my dining-room end of my through lounge diner so have no privacy or alone time unless as now i'm awake half the night. sorry to have a moan but ur message hit a cord and felt i needed to let u know i know and empathize with u on how ur feeling . :hugs:
wanita2k
UKFM Member

Postby Plain Jane » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:40 pm

I started with RA, which lasted for about 12 years then went into remission and still is. I now have osteo and fibro, what a nightmare. However, life goes on and we have to learn to make the best of it. I'm not very good at that as I suffer stress a lot and it doesn't take much to get me stressed out and over anxious. Having family who understand or are willing to understand is vital, try this book, Living with Fibromyalgia by Christine Craggs-Hinton. The author is a fibro sufferer and the book is written in easy to understand terms and is a good read too. You don't have to be a fibro sufferer as it's good for others to read too. I got the book from Amazon and it cost about £8 so not too expensive. Don't know if you could borrow it from you local library.
Plain Jane
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:29 pm

I borrowed that book from my old library (Balham). It's a very good book :-D

Don't have RA (to my knowledge) - am waiting to see a Rheumy about Psoriatic Arthritis. I'm having the nail changes associated with PA but they can also, in rarer cases, be caused by Eczema which I also have. So it remains to be seen if the joint swelling and stiffness is connected to the nail changes and is PA, or whether it's a more common form of inflammatory arthritis like RA, and the nail changes are due to Eczema and just happened to occur at the same time.

Not knowing is driving me crazy! I'm now almost 9 weeks (on Monday) in to a 10 week wait. Except they've now extended that 10 week wait to 13 weeks and told me they'll most likely only be able to give me a day or two's notice of my appointment!! :shock: :-x :nono:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby siennasbreeze » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi
I'm 42 was diagnosed with ra in 2012 ,fibro 2013.in addition to these I also have,asthma,coeliac disease,ibs and M.E.
hmmm..think I need rubbing out and starting again lol.
siennasbreeze
UKFM Member

Postby siennasbreeze » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:33 pm

I can totally sympathise with all you fellow sufferers.
I am a single mum of three children.up until 2012,I had a very busy full life.juggling work,children and household responsibilities.i love the outdoors,cycling at weekends,swimming twice a week and horse riding are but a few hobbies I did with the kids to keep myself fit.

To go from a busy life to nor being able to leave the house without help and do basic household tasks is so frustrating.haye having to say sorry kids we can't go out today mum isn't feeling well enough..feel like im letting them down.
I've learnt that pacing yourself and prioritising are a must ,together with deligation and listening to your body.
medication wise,its definitely a personal issue.its a case of working with your rheumatologist and gp to find the right cocktail that suits you.
its taken two whole years to find the right mix for me.so many of the meds have nasty side effects.
Methotrexate was the worst for me....had fainting and terrible vomiting with it.
Currently taking leflunomide,pregnisolone and celecoxib for the RA..touch wood side effects haven't been too bad so far.
Fibromyalgia meds have been much more hassle,in that am so sensitive to meds,especially painkillers that im very limited SD to what I can tolerate.currently been on gabapentin ,naproxen,amitriptaline,zolpidem ..to try and aid sleep.plus another bag of pills for my other conditions.i jingle all the time and it isn't Christmas..lol
Gentle hugs to you all.fi gets crossed that the right meds are found for you
If anyone would like a chat ,please feel free to private message me.its a lonely world,don't suffer in silence xxx
siennasbreeze
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi hun x I tested negative for RA last year. I was diagnosed with PsA and now a few days in from diagnosis of fibro. I have an inkling how you feel. I have days where I cry and scream WHY!? It just feels like my body is shutting down. I feel as though it has betrayed me, taken my life. I am 34 with three young kids and I feel 80. I hate it :cry:
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems