Depression

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Depression

Postby stephen1969 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi everyone,

How many of you on the forum find depression an issue and for those of you who do, how much of an issue is it?

During the time that my wife has had fibromyalgia upto about 6 months ago depression had not been a major issue although it would rear its head from time to time. However over the last 6 months she has suffered from depression BIG time. I am finding it hard to know what to do to help her. She has lost confidence in the doctors and has so many different tablets that she really doesn't want any more. She finds talking about her FM to anyone else very difficult.

I am also finding it all very difficult at the moment. It is just so sad to think that she is always going to have FM and at the moment it never looks as though it is going to get any better. At times I feel very isolated from her but then for a short time it improves and she does something special that makes me feel very connected to her......then almost as quick as it came it goes again and the feeling of isolation starts again.

I have read so many stories on here where family members are doing amazing things for their loved ones. I always thought that I would be like this because I have a caring background, (workwise) but to be honest with you I feel very inadequate and often feel that I am not what she needs. I reckon someone else could do a better job

Stephen
stephen1969
UKFM Member

Re: Depression

Postby ribbons » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm sure a lot of partners feel inadequate , you shouldn't think that someone else could do it better. I am probably not very communicative with my partner either but you don't want to feel like you are complaining all the time. Would couples counselling be any help? Communication is such a big part of a relationship, i hope you find a way to sort things out x
ribbons
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:08 pm

hi Stephen, :wave:

glad you don't bottle up

depression yes
partnership no, am single

sure there are people here who can tell how it was for them
and what helped them in those difficult times as partners

to take in the whole fibro stuff is a big thing
for those who have it and for those who are with someone who has it

think it's the same with all illness'
the feeling of hopelessness/helplessness
until you get your head around things a bit better

this forum is a good place to be

all the best

lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby stephen1969 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi to all who have replied so far, :wave:

Thanks for your replies and for your support. I really appreciate it.

Fibro is such a horrible thing. It seems to take over every area of life. There doesn't seem to be any corner it doesn't touch!

Thanks again to you all :wave:
stephen1969
UKFM Member

Postby muscles68 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi m8 depresion is a killer for me to, i have good and bad times along with panick attacks, high anxiety and aggresion out bursts.
I know its hard on my wife and kids wich gets me down even more. its a trap m8 the more fm hurts and the more the docs fob you off with pills it all adds up. You are doing the best you can just buy being there for her, its all you can do. just keep loving her and try to understand.
My wife often crys with me, funny enogh it helps a little. I ve suffered this for 15yrs the past 2 have been severe, i know longer work i can hardly walk some days. I dont understand it myself so my wife and you m8 are not expected to. Just be there.......
muscles68
UKFM Member

Postby sweetleaf2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:20 pm

HI, of course depression is always there waiting to bite you on the bum, FM is the long black tunnel without the light at the end, but a good supportive partner, who appreciates that not every day is a good one, is a treasure beyond price. It sounds to me that you are such a man, keep on loving in the same way, its probably keeping your wife sane.
I`m not over the hill I`m still climbing it, thats why I`m so tired all the time
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems