spine pain

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

spine pain

Postby karen42 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi
For the last week i have been having terrible spine pain.It starts at the top of my spine just on the large bone we have just before are spine and it goes half way down my back.Got my oh to rub it yesterday for me and it made it even more painful.Could this be down to my fibro or could it be another problem starting.i hope not i have enough problems to cope with :(
karen42
UKFM Member

Re: spine pain

Postby newey » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi I get really bad pain in my spine wen I walk and any1 touchin it makes it
Worse and really hurts I end up sometimes sleepin on the sofa coz if my husband
Touches me in the nite I will b awake for hours :(
Everytime I tell my doctor about somethin new she just puts it down to fibro/myofacial
So I rather research b4 I make the crewlin trip lol but worth gettin it checked out
In case its not related xx :goodluck1:
newey
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:11 am

My Mum had this and the docs went through a myriad of 'chest infection' 'costochondritis' 'fibro' and eventually after an x-ray (to check for an infection) she was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis of the spine and thoraccic spondylosis (means the dics are starting to wear) plus and enlarged heart.

It's best to get it checked out in case it's something like arthritis, and not the fibro. Docs do tend to shove the 'oh it's fibro' at you but sometimes it's worth pushing for more tests. If the pain persists and doesn't respond to fibro treatment it's worth getting an xray just to check :fingerscrossed:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby karen42 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:18 am

Yes same for me everytime a see my gp with a new problem he tells me its down to my fibro.What annoys me is he wont let me have Anymore x rays.Due to the small risk of cancer from having x rays he only let me have the knee x ray because i had have the knee problem for over 4 years.
karen42
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:34 am

hello iv had wotn discs and vertibray for years and the pian from the OA is of coruse made worse by the fibro . they say they can see the damage but its not bad enough to do any thing about and i should not get thr pain i do from it

so we have all these other conditions that fibro just make worse to us unfortunatly , the fact about wear and tear is that if they x rayed 10 people at random 6 would show the same amount of wear to the spine , but only 2 0r 3 would feel any pain from it.
So what you see on a x ray has no indication wheather you are in pain . some one with little damage could be in agony . and some one with lots of damage could feel nothing

iy would appere that hurt and harm are not as related as we may think
and its possiable that this phnomona may be a indication as to how fibro develops

tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Mum was told the same, she was in pain for a month before they would x ray her (family history of heart problems in women her age so they were x-raying more to check her heart and chest than her back) and they happened to spot the wear and tear and realised that was causing the pain. She's off the painkillers now (been about 9 weeks since it started), originally they gave her diclofenac which didn't help as wasn't inflammatory, then all sorts of rubs etc and finally settled on normal paracetamol with a gel - they said she'd had it a while but a recent spate of driving long distances triggered the pain. Now she's identified and removed the trigger it's improved :)

Karen - it's worth pushing for an x-ray, at least then if there is a problem they can find out and give you the correct diagnosis. I've had quite a few x-rays (mainly my teeth and jaw), unfortunately they're sometimes necessary.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems