spondylosis, scoliosis, FM and old age Rant

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

spondylosis, scoliosis, FM and old age Rant

Postby sweetleaf2 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Sometimes I joke that Im collecting problems like a kid collects stamps, but the pain in my back and neck, and its affects on my peripheral nerve endings is no joke! I had investigations into my neck as I had tested as ok with a Neurologist to whom I had been sent for tests to see if I had carpel tunnel syndrome, although he confirmed what I always knew about Reynauds, which is a family trait. Only when I was given an xray on my neck and another later on my back was the "wear and tear" damage to my spine seen. I have to live with this awful pain and have found ways of doing things without making it worse, now the FM is here too, on top of it all. I have otosclerosis making me deaf, too, and a couple of prolapses......... constant bladder probs, on the plus side, menopause has just fixed endometriosis, Yay! :lol:
My sight is blurry.. my balance is dodgy, no memory to speak of, pain in old fracture sites, and the seeming ability to break small bones without knowing how :( (My BD is fine, apparently) I lost the feeling in the ends of three toes last year, and it hasnt returned. My hip dislocates when it feels like it, I have problems with my blood pressure when standing still for relatively short periods, feeling nausea sweating and often ending up sliding ungracefully to the floor, where I quickly feel better. I seem to have old age problems before my time, and all I can keep thinking is, ITS NOT FAIR!
By the way, Im not even 50 yet :?
Im trying not to feel sorry for myself, but today I just cant. Rant over, Im going to try to cheer up now, promise. [chocolate]
I`m not over the hill I`m still climbing it, thats why I`m so tired all the time
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Re: spondylosis, scoliosis, FM and old age Rant

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:36 pm

[chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] and :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: should help sweetleaf, but only in purely medicinal doses :cup1: :cup1: :cup1: Anything different and the cure-all won't work :nono: :nono: :nono:

I think we've all had times like what you're having at the moment, other conditions making us feel even worse when mixed with FM, even tho we've been told there isn't really anything wrong, as well as feeling at least 100 years older than we really are :x :x :x

I know it's not fair for us, at least on here we understand how others are feeling and there's always an ear to bend when you need to get these things out :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Seeing as I've done a bit of "there, there, there" theraping, that means I can indulge in some [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] and :wine: :wine: :wine: as well, or maybe a rather norty slice of creamy :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby loubie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:12 pm

its good to have a good old rant :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :swear1: :swear1: :swear1:

hope you are feeling a little better now :blowkiss:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby sweetleaf2 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks ladies, its been good to get things off my chest. :roll:

for you bothImage
I`m not over the hill I`m still climbing it, thats why I`m so tired all the time
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Postby Julie. » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:51 pm

S orry to read your suffering alot right now.
I too am postmenopausal and have other health problems too and have days/weeks like your having as do most of us i would think.
However i hope you soon feel a bit better and thinking of you.Sorry to read your suffering alot right now.
I too am postmenopausal and have other health problems too and have days/weeks like your having as do most of us i would think.
However i hope you soon feel a bit better and thinking of you. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate]
Take one day at a time. Tomorrow will wait.
Julie.
UKFM Member

Postby Julie. » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Just read that post back and think i have lost the plot. sorry x
Take one day at a time. Tomorrow will wait.
Julie.
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:04 pm

hope everyone is feeling a little better today :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby sweetleaf2 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:49 pm

denys wrote:hope everyone is feeling a little better today :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

That was then, this is now, must learn to pace myself a bit better, Im in the middle of a flare now and it hurts to even type. Its awful that even my old stand by, a good hot bath is beyond me..... I dont think I can cope with another fall.

I left my old job in August, after three months on the "panel" (Im a carer) because I had to travel to and fro and fit in an eight or twelve hour day, not including travel...15 hours on a bad day. My ex employer said she would complete her part of my NVQ assessment and call me in to sign , but theyve found out Ive taken a part time job, and now all that work has been a waste. Even the part time job is killing me some days, but it pays the rent, so I darent let it go.
Im completely miserable, nothing is worth this much pain, and my partner, though sympathetic, is not quite ready to admit that the FM is going to be a long term thing, what scares me is this thought..... what happens to us when he finally understands? :cry:
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:24 am

Nothing hopefully, once he does accept it things should get easier as he wont expect so much from you :fingerscrossed: stay positive even though its difficult right now. Seems a bit mean of your ex-employer to deny you your qualification just because you have taken a part time job, is it in the same profession???

Being in a flare is horrible, but things will calm down eventually just keep a hold of that thought. Stress makes everything worse and at this time of year the stress levels are horrendous for loads of us so pacing is more important than ever.

Do you have crutches or sticks that might help you with your balance problems, I was always falling but now with them its much less frequent, just a thought if you havent got any (I got mine through OT department)

Sending you some gentle :hugs: and :flowers: and hope this rotten flare doesnt last long :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Roseofsharon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:05 pm

:hugs: Sweetleaf, I hope you feel better soon. FM seems to be hard enough for us to accept, it must be doubly so for our partners. I'm not making excuses for his not accepting it as a long term thing, however just trying to feel a little compassion for our partners. My boyfriend seems to have the same problem of accepting it as a long term problem. All he keeps saying is that I wasn't ill when I met him (wrong, I just didn't realise how ill I was, but never mind). I think it's harder on them than they are willing to admit, no matter how we might wish to make life easier for them or deny how hard it is. I'm so sorry to hear how many things have piled up on top of you right now. I hope you feel better soon.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby sweetleaf2 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:04 pm

denys wrote:Nothing hopefully, once he does accept it things should get easier as he wont expect so much from you :fingerscrossed: stay positive even though its difficult right now. Seems a bit mean of your ex-employer to deny you your qualification just because you have taken a part time job, is it in the same profession???

Being in a flare is horrible, but things will calm down eventually just keep a hold of that thought. Stress makes everything worse and at this time of year the stress levels are horrendous for loads of us so pacing is more important than ever.

Do you have crutches or sticks that might help you with your balance problems, I was always falling but now with them its much less frequent, just a thought if you havent got any (I got mine through OT department)

Sending you some gentle :hugs: and :flowers: and hope this rotten flare doesnt last long :hugs:

I have crutches and a walking stick, but I only use the stick when I go out, the falls happen when I am trying to get out of the bath, a time when a stick just isnt helpful! Thinking about it now it seems quite comical. Or at least clownish.
The last time, must have looked like the old banana skin gag, really...... water flying everywhere and me going down like a sack of spuds. My foot hit the bathtap and aggravated the pain in last years fracture. Next day though, I wasnt laughing. :cry:
I have taken a part time job caring for an elderly neighbour, three hours a day. I used to spend that amount of time every day just on my outward and return journey , never mind traavelling between calls. I resigned from my job, as I couldnt honestly tell them I would ever be fit enough to return.... I thought it was the right thing to do. They think I just used my illness as an excuse. Anyway I know that they would have worked me into the grave, and then employed someone else without another thought. :roll:
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:15 pm

definitely rotten thing for them to do to you :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I have a bath board that helps me with getting in and out of the bath, have you got any handles to help you. You must know whats available better than most of us because of the profession you are in so here's hoping you are feeling a little better soon :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lizbet » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:41 am

Hi sweetleaf2, about what you sed regarding you feeling nausea and sweating and fainting, I have started recently experiencing attacks like this. I shake as well and my eyes go dim. My doc says its a Vaso Vagal attack. Apparantly we have two vaso vagal nerves running from base of the brain to the abdomen which are responsible for the autonomus nervous system which looks after our bp, breathing and other stuff which we dont have to think about. Apparantley theres a 'blip' in the system which makes it stop momentaralily making the bp fall dramatically making us faint, once we hit the floor bp rises again and thats why we come round straiht away. Just thougt you might find it interisting. Sorry you're having so many problems. Hope things start to improve for you.xx :hugs:
lizbet
UKFM Member

Postby sweetleaf2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:45 pm

[quote="lizbet"]Hi sweetleaf2, about what you sed regarding you feeling nausea and sweating and fainting, I have started recently experiencing attacks like this. I shake as well and my eyes go dim. My doc says its a Vaso Vagal attack. Apparantly we have two vaso vagal nerves running from base of the brain to the abdomen which are responsible for the autonomus nervous system which looks after our bp, breathing and other stuff which we dont have to think about. Apparantley theres a 'blip' in the system which makes it stop momentaralily making the bp fall dramatically making us faint, once we hit the floor bp rises again and thats why we come round straiht away. Just thougt you might find it interisting. Sorry you're having so many problems. Hope things start to improve for you.xx :hugs:[/quote

Thank you Lizbet, I wonder why my Doc has never mentioned this? I had to go for a heart scan last time I told him about it, Im off to google!
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Postby sweetleaf2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 pm

sweetleaf2 wrote:
denys wrote:hope everyone is feeling a little better today :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

That was then, this is now, must learn to pace myself a bit better, Im in the middle of a flare now and it hurts to even type. Its awful that even my old stand by, a good hot bath is beyond me..... I dont think I can cope with another fall.

I left my old job in August, after three months on the "panel" (Im a carer) because I had to travel to and fro and fit in an eight or twelve hour day, not including travel...15 hours on a bad day. My ex employer said she would complete her part of my NVQ assessment and call me in to sign , but theyve found out Ive taken a part time job, and now all that work has been a waste. Even the part time job is killing me some days, but it pays the rent, so I darent let it go.
Im completely miserable, nothing is worth this much pain, and my partner, though sympathetic, is not quite ready to admit that the FM is going to be a long term thing, what scares me is this thought..... what happens to us when he finally understands? :cry:

Great News! I got it all wrong, apparently, my ex supervisor has assessed my portfolio and sent it for outside assessment and Ive passed!
I really did think all my work had gone to waste but apparently not, and apparently Im not so dumb, either, :-D :-D YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems