Hot feet?!

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hot feet?!

Postby NessieQ » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Hello all,

This might seem like a crazy symptom to discuss, but I am driven completely mad by hot feet. It happens particularly late at night, and my feet get swollen and red and so hot that I can't sleep. It never occurred to me that it might be related to fibromyalgia, but recently upon meeting some other women who suffer from it, I found out that three out of four of us got the same symptom. Has anyone else had this? Do you have any advice for dealing with it? I lose so much sleep as a result, and am embarrassed to go to my GP about it since it seems so inconsequential, but it's driving me nuts!!

Any help or advice would be very very very much appreciated.

Thanks,

NQ.
NessieQ
UKFM Member

Re: Hot feet?!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:06 pm

First of all, don't ever worry about asking your GP about any symptom that is new, worsening, or just generally bothering/worrying you. We always suggest having things checked out, just in case there is something else at work under the guise of FM. As for it being a :crazy: :crazy: symptom to discuss, is there anything else but :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: to discuss where FM is concerned :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I've had the hot feet with swelling problem, it tends to come and go for me, altho it is more here than gone at the moment :shock: :shock: Mine is due to FM, but with it happening more often at the moment it's on my list of things for my next visitation :shock: :shock: :? :?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby NessieQ » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for the reassurance, on all counts! 'Hot feet' will go on my List for my next GP visit too, though I think my reluctance to discuss it is largely due to my total lack of confidence that he'll do anything about it or have anything reassuring to say. I'd be really interested to hear how you get on.

xxx
NessieQ
UKFM Member

Postby karma » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi nessie

i get very hot feet, that is when they are not cold.

Normally when I go to bed I keep my socks on then when my feet heat up they just sem to keep getting hotter! I have a couple of foot sprays that help cool them down, one is from avon and the other from the Body shop. sometimes i'll use a bit talc or pepermint footcream!

HTH x

Postby loubie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:28 am

hi :wave:
my feet are ether red hot or frezzzzzzin cold or one is red hot and one is cold :crazy: :crazy:
i have always put it down to fibro but have never asked the doc about it :oops: :oops: :lol:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby NessieQ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Thank you! It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Great tip about the foot spray too, I'll definitely give it a go!
NessieQ
UKFM Member

Postby NessieQ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:49 pm

Just a follow-up post for anyone who's interested.

I spoke to my doctor today and she says hot feet is caused by one of two things: a B-vitamin deficiency (determined by a blood test), or by repeated medications (or perhaps other things, which she didn't go into). She says it's called 'neuralgia', and it's treatable either be sorting out the vitamin deficiency, or by going on a drug like amitriptyline (which we have a thread about somewhere on this forum) or, if that doesn't agree with you (it doesn't with me), with Gabapentin. Apparently the latter is also used as an anti-epilepsy drug, so it's quite hard core, and shouldn't be taken lightly. I'm not 100% happy about going on it, but my feet are driving me mad, so I'm going to try it. First dose will be tonight... wish me luck! I'll report back in a few weeks with the results.
NessieQ
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi
Mine are always freezing cold, we cant win can we. :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Roseofsharon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:49 pm

One minute my feet are freezing cold and another minute they are boiling hot - they go from one extreme to the other, I also get it in my hands.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby NessieQ » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Apparently a lot of people get it in their hands as well as their feet.

Tried my first pill last night, PROBLEM SOLVED!! I'm so happy. Only negative was that it acted like a very heavy seditive, and I felt the effects the next day. But worth it, as far as I'm concerned! I'll update in a few weeks again, as I said.
NessieQ
UKFM Member

Postby NessieQ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Another update about this: I've now been taken off Gabapentin after it apparently gave me flu-like symptoms. I'm not convinced it was the gaba and wasn't just a flu, but there we are. Back to the drawing board now :roll:
NessieQ
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Never mind Nessie, have they discussed pregalin, alternative to gabbas trade name Lyrica :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby NessieQ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:49 pm

They didn't, thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to ask next time I'm down at the GP :)
NessieQ
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems