foods and drink

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

foods and drink

Postby K8t85 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:49 pm

I heard some where that wine makes people with fibro a lot worse anyone else know much about it? my mother said i was worse after oranges is this a coincidence? :?:
K8t85
UKFM Member

Re: foods and drink

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:16 pm

I haven't heard about wine or oranges making FM worse :shock: :shock: I have plenty of oranges, altho not much juice or wine (can't drink it these days unless I have a spritzer :wine:) and haven't found it makes me any worse. With how peculiar FM likes to be tho, there's always a chance that it could affect some FMers :facepalm: :facepalm:

There have been a few things online saying that artificial sweeteners can make FM worse, however I haven't found that they affect me either. The one thing that does tho is white bread :facepalm: :facepalm: Not sure why as white flour used in cakes and things doesn't affect me, nor does pasta :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: After just one slice I can feel myself stiffening up and the pain increases as well :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby K8t85 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Well i wonder if bread does it to me too, my mother cant eat wheat as she gets ibs i cant imagine me having that id go crazy :yikes: its in practically everything.

Yea there was an article i read a while ago saying about aspartime i think saying it can cause all sorts of chronic symptoms, need the will power to be able to test that out though as thats in loads too :facepalm:
I dont drink a lot of wine so dont know about that either something to look into though :idea:
I wonder if theres anything that helps FM. cherrys is supposed to be good for gout im gonna have a look now.
K8t85
UKFM Member

Postby K8t85 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:18 pm

Hmm look at this, basically all the things we probably enjoy just dont eat :cup1: [chocolate] :coffee2: :twodrinking1: :facepalm:

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide ... connection?
K8t85
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:16 pm

I've read that, definitely makes you :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: As for those things listed making things worse, it's another of the areas that needs an awful lot of investigation into if it is right, and if so, what is the thing in all of them that causes the problem???

The best way it to eat as healthily as you can, with an occasional treat, not like I've been this week, with all the rubbish making up most of my meals, with a bit of fruit for the occasional treat :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Roseofsharon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:40 pm

I've read through the list and would advise caution. Not only am I trained as a nutritionist, but I have at one time or another tried cutting out all of those products - pre-diagnosis (trying to get healthier and 'better') cutting out those products had no effect on my health, if anything my health was worse for it not better. I know this is just anecdotal however I also know how we all grab at anything to give us that feeling of being better. Besides if you try and cut out certain of the foods listed there then you will end up with an unbalanced and unhealthy diet. Please, please be sensible with all of this.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby K8t85 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Glad of that advise lol we all really didnt want to be doing that so now we know not to haha thanks for that.
K8t85
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:39 pm

I've found a veggie diet has helped me slightly, mainly with bowels as my meds are a nasty bunch for constipating :( but also because it's forced me to eat more fruit and veg, and try new things so I have a more varied and healthier diet now than before.

Main thing is to eat healthy foods, have a balanced diet and if you notice anything does seem to disagree with you then eat less of it/cut it out. I've never liked eggs much for example, I can eat an egg product such as pastry or cake, but if I eat an omelette I feel really really sick and ill for the rest of the day. I cut out eating actual eggs several months ago, I ate them so infrequently and each time I ate them I felt more sick than the previous time and they're not necessary. I've also found that drinking less fizzy drinks, especially coke (now restricted to very occasional treat, and nowhere near bedtime) has reduced flare ups of my RLS. My stomach also feels happier and I feel less fat and bloated which helps my self esteem and means I eat less junk food and make healthier choices.

If you suspect you may have an allergy/intolerance, or feel a major food product e.g. wheat might be making you worse then I would advise you to consult your GP before cutting anything out of your diet. That way you can get advice as to whether there's an allergy for example, and how to eat healthily if you do need/wish to cut something out of your diet.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems