Bladder/Bowel Problems

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Bladder/Bowel Problems

Postby livewithfibro » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Have you ever heard that expression, never trust a fart?

For me, I sometimes cannot trust a sneeze & a fart.

Very embarrassing to post this LOL

Does anyone else have the same problem?

I find sometimes I urinate a little when I sneeze even if my bladder is empty.

On a few occasions I have passed gas & gotten a suprise :yikes:

I'm not alone right?
livewithfibro
UKFM Member

Re: Bladder/Bowel Problems

Postby sweetleaf2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:11 pm

The urination when sneezing or coughing is called stress incontinence, you can get treatment for that, no probs, I have it and its linked to my prolapsed bladder, the other problem I dont have, (although my bowel is prolapsed too) it seems to have the reverse effect to the one you are describing. Do you take laxatives at all?

This is defo a problem you should mention at your next visit to the GP.
I`m not over the hill I`m still climbing it, thats why I`m so tired all the time
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Postby livewithfibro » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi,

Wow I will mention this. I don't no, I do take a lot of flax seed, eating healhy etc

I've somewhat mentioned this to the doctor but she didn't seem alarmed.

Also I've never had children. I do believe this is more common when you have given birth.

Thanks for the info ;)
livewithfibro
UKFM Member

Postby Salgor » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:43 pm

I have found that over the past little while (well months really :roll: ) when I find myself involuntarily passing wind :yikes: I have thought about it being medication but seems it could also be a symptom of fm. Am I right?

This is all in addition to a degree of incontinence. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I am too embarrassed to go out in company. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Please tell me it's not just me. :-? :-?

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:18 pm

i seem to suffer the opposite bowel wise.

i have tried laxatives adn lactulose but am so fed up of taking it as is not really pleasant even when trying in squash, but my stoools are large or just seem to sit in the exit and require a bit of help pushing out by pressing between my front and back passage. :shock:

as if we don't have enough to deal with am thinking i should go back and ask for something else instead of the lactulsoe but its so frustrating that even emptying my bowels that everyone takes for granted becomes a full time job. i spoke to drs briefly trying to explain and his reply was that not everyone goes regularly which i know it was the ease of goign i find difficult.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby livewithfibro » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:58 am

Ah I'd totally go out with you in public :) I love farting LOL

I use to have problems with bowel movements, but I changed my diet. Everything that goes in my mouth is beneficial

Here are a few meal ideas

http://livewithfibromyalgia.blogspot.co ... ating.html

I'm still building up the section but hopefully it will help

I even have to be careful when laughing, I so wanna pee lol

I guess we just learn on how to adapt ie crossing our legs, not allowing people to tickle us.

Someone did suggest this creepy little thing

http://www.uresta.ca/store/product.php?productid=1

We aren't alone :)
livewithfibro
UKFM Member

Postby livewithfibro » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:59 am

oh forgot to mention, lemon water. OMG you'll be fine after a week on that LOL
livewithfibro
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi
Stress incontinence is very common, with fibro your muscles become weak, doing your pelvic floor muscles can help to strengthen them back up.
Your GP will be able to give you meds which might also help or send you up the hospital for tests.

I had to have an operation as had a bladder & bowel prolapsed, so its worth getting it checked by your GP. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby noonoo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:45 am

Hello everyone,

I am so glad i logged on tonight, i have been on prgabalon and duloxeteine for about six weeks as well as all the pain meds and i have been suffering extreme constipation to the point that when i do go i bleed so heavily. I do take senna everynight but it dont seem to be working i am in constant pain even when i sit down, i think i may need to see the gp. could this be related to the fm as it does affect the soft tissue in the body. Any advise. noonoo :(
noonoo
UKFM Member

Postby sharon28 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi all,

I experience the same bowel problems as some of you have said, especially animalhouse. I think you were brave to post about how you have to help yourself to empty your bowel. You,ve made me brave and i want to admit have have to do the same. I'm in agony when i need to go!! I have recently commenced taking Ami's so i, not having had a problem with contipation like this before attribute this to the meds> My gp dissagreed with me when i asked. But i know it is them. I take Dulcoeze (wrong spelling). I bleed amd feel so bruised that it's painfull to sit on my touche as i can go days without going.

Anyway, thankyou for talking about this problem,

Sharon xx :cup1:
sharon28
UKFM Member

Postby livewithfibro » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the information. It was totally embarrassing to ask but has yielded me more confidence on the subject. Everyone's fibro is different and I think its good to educate ourselves on all aspects. I've had accidents in public before and now I never trust a fart lol

Good luck to you all
livewithfibro
UKFM Member

Postby sweetleaf2 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 am

animalhouse wrote:i seem to suffer the opposite bowel wise.

i have tried laxatives adn lactulose but am so fed up of taking it as is not really pleasant even when trying in squash, but my stoools are large or just seem to sit in the exit and require a bit of help pushing out by pressing between my front and back passage. :shock:

as if we don't have enough to deal with am thinking i should go back and ask for something else instead of the lactulsoe but its so frustrating that even emptying my bowels that everyone takes for granted becomes a full time job. i spoke to drs briefly trying to explain and his reply was that not everyone goes regularly which i know it was the ease of goign i find difficult.

The pressing you describe was the reason I first went to the docs about my bowels, it turned out that was called "digitation" and I had to do it because my bowel was bulging at the exit, so to speak and the faeces were filling the new space, rather than leaving by the normal route. These deformed stools were therefore too large to be passed easily and thats why I had to push, just as you describe to get them to go in the right direction for the exit. I think you need to go back to the doc and suggest that you may also have a prolapsed bowel, :yikes:
My op is in feb........just a little nervous about it....
I`m not over the hill I`m still climbing it, thats why I`m so tired all the time
sweetleaf2
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:13 am

hi thanks have just read the last post on here as not been on for a few days.

oh :oops: :oops: heck.

as if i didn/t have enough on my to do list to discuss with the docs.

its taken 2 years nearly just to get xrays on my wrist as they only seem to be able to cope with one thing at a time. when i go back (again) she is going to refer me to orthop (don;t know why i have to go back for her to do but never mind)

so i still have on my list back, trapped nerve, sciatica blah blah blah, will now add bowel evacuation/digitation :oops:

i think trying to be a bit light hearted is how i deal with things so no harm meant, in real life i am shy, introvert, hermit who has thig bubbly person living inside and just don;t get out enough or am too scared to these days.

so will take a deep breath and try and be brave enough to go back and mention this at some point.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby nordic44 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:52 pm

I too experience this, it is very embarrassing to admit. It causes my depression to be worse because of this. My GP understands this but the powers that be take no notice of this. It is not funny when you need to take clean underwear with you when you go out.
nordic44
UKFM Newbie

Postby livewithfibro » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. It sucks when the underwear falls out of your purse in line at the bank lol
livewithfibro
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems