Digestion problems?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Digestion problems?

Postby Katblack » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm sorry to start yet another thread, but I have so many questions at the moment! :(

Is/are digestion problems a part of FM?
I am on Lansoprazole 15mg a day to protect my stomach from all the meds I take since I damaged it a couple of years ago with Ibuprofen, however I also am suffering from what feels like terrible trapped wind in the top of my stomach every few days, and the urge to burp but I can't, it's really uncomfortable and often keeps me awake all night, indegestion remedies don't help, the other end is fine btw :oops: (TMI?), I forgot to mention this to the Dr this morning, not that I think he would have been much help, but that's another story!

Anyway, I was wondering if there is anything known to aggravate FM, or is it a personal thing? I've never been allergic to anything food wise before, I can't decide if it's related to the Anti-Depressant I am taking - Fluoxetine :-? as it seems to coincide with when I started to take that....

Any ideas?

Kat x

Scoliosis, 2 major spinal surgeries, DDD in neck and lumbar spine, Spondylolisthesis, HMS and now FM!
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams.
Katblack
UKFM Member

Re: Digestion problems?

Postby shazq » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi Kat

Sounds like acid reflux (GERD) I think there are a lot of us that suffer with it, i have to take Omerazole every day for mine.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:45 pm

I was thinking along the same lines as shaz as well, and it could be that the dosage of Lansoprazole isn't quite right for you. I have times when the reflux breaks thru the Lansoprazole, when I mentioned it to my GP he said I could take 2 of them at a time to get things back under control. Maybe you could check to see if it's a suitable thing for you to do as well, whenever you need to. Alternatively, you could see if another med that does the same sort of thing might be more effective for you. Unfortunately it does mean another GP appt, which you may not be so keen to do at the moment, going on what you've said about today's experience :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mand » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi, im suffering at the mo, saw the gp and he has permenantly put me on omeprazole,i had irritation of the stomach due to meds (ibruprofen) was taken off, then was on diclofenac and taken off, now on co-codamol and saw the gp a few weeks ago and he couldnt understand why the gps had not put omeprazole on repeat prescription...im in the middle of having tests at the mo, and also dosn't help i have intollerances to foods and carnt digest red meats anymore, yesterday after tea 7 times and a few this morning running to loo :shock: , i fancied a meat pie, not had one in years...well it didnt fancy me :lol:

doc's looking into irritable bowel as well, my stomach is distended somedays i think im going to pop,so uncomfortable......a tip that worked sipping ice and water, it seemed to settle my tum...dont know if its co-incidence, im eating smaller meals and having more water also decaffinated tea,,,,,the omeprazole seems to help, when your tum bloats...jot down what you have eaten/drank ect and the time, see if there is a pattern, im only having co-codamol if im really in agony, tummy is still sore and irritated somedays but not as bad as the beggining of december.........

have a word with gp if you think its the meds? and hopfully he can sort you out, see him asap, to ease your tum...........take care mand
mand
UKFM Member

Postby Mrs Zozzer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm also on omeprazole, was on Lansoprazole but GP changed it due to recently I've been getting alot of bloatedness and pain in my upper stomach and cant eat much (Tonight all I've had is half of a chicken salad sandwich) but the bloatedness is so bad it causes me to be a bit breathless.(I'm going for a stomach scan on Monday) I alternate between constipation and the runs but no-one has suggested IBS I do have pain in my right hip/groin area not sure if its related. Medication at the moment is Thryroxine, Amlodopine, Tramadol 100mg & Simvastitian. The pain all week I've had has been terrible.
Mrs Zozzer
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Maybe you should mention it when you next see your GP Mrs Zozzer. If it is due to IBS, there are different meds and dietary approaches that might help makes things more comfortable for you.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems