Im having an operation

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Im having an operation

Postby rioruss » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:12 am

Hi all,
its been a while since i last post on here, have now moved to a bungalow from an upstairs flat so life supposedly is meant to be easier for me!
I have been having all sorts of problems recently! for the last couple of months i have been aching/hurting all over, have been really struggling to walk after sitting for a while and even more so getting up in the morning.
I have been back and forth to the hospital for different scans and tests .
It has now been discovered that i have a huge tumour attached to my liver (not cancerous as far as they can tell).
I am due to go into hospital on Valentines day to have it removed, Im worried about it for a few reasons!
Because of Fibro how will my recovery be?
How am i going to manage to get straight out of bed the following day if i struggle to move after half hour? (doc said they like to get you up and about asap)
It will be the first time ever that i have been apart from my partner ( not even for one night, really rely on each other all the time)?
how will i cope when at home?
AAgggggghhh so much going through my mind , am getting more and more anxcious about it which in turn is making me suffer more !
Any advise? :-? :-? :-?
rioruss
UKFM Member

Re: Im having an operation

Postby denys » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Firstly sorry to hear you have to have an op but :fingerscrossed: once its over and you have recovered you'll feel loads better

Your recovery may take longer due to FM but if you make sure all the people involved in your care are aware of your condition they can manage things for you. Getting up the next day, you will have help they wont expect you to do it on your own and it will just be into a chair for a while

You wont be apart from your partner for long and they can visit you. your concerns are natural, talk them over with your partner and the people that are going to be concerned with your care :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi
Try not to get stressed because that is going to make yourself worse.
As long as you let everyone know that you have fibro they will look after you.

I have had 2 operations and been an inpatient a couple of times since having fibro, i make sure i tell everyone who is looking after me about fibro, all the docs and nurses have been great towards me, even physio were understanding when they came to walk me along the hallway.

My last op was 7 weeks ago and was a major op, i am still recovering from it, i do feel fibro is prolonging my recovery this time but thats because i was in a flare for a while before the op and i was very weak but i am getting there slowly.

You will be fine, they do like to get you out of bed quicker these days but they dont make you sit in a chair all day, you are allowed to get back on the bed anytime you like. They like to get you sitting up to stop fluid building up on the lungs, preventing infections.
The beds are electric now so they lift you up into a sitting position which makes it easier to get in and out off.

You will relax and recover much better at home, its so nice to get back home and in your own bed again, :-D :goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Adele » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:04 pm

hi. sorry to hear about your operation. i just wanted to tell you about social services care that is available. there is a service available to help people such as yourself when they leave hospital, i had used this service myself.

where i live, it is called the Short Term Enablement Programme. for more information contact your social services adult help desk.
the team help with anything from getting you up, washed and dressed, cooking, shopping. they can also teach you new skills or ways of doing things. the service lasts up to 6 weeks. in my case the help i was entitled to was just personal care but it was a God send.

it's a service to prevent bed blocking, i think, in hospitals. they cannot send patients home that cannot look after themselves and they end up blocking medical beds that they don't need. the service is also available following an illness which is how i got help. the illness i had before their help i still have afterwards but the care was withdrawn as it was no longer free after 6 weeks.

other things to bear in mind are as you are inactive you are at a greater risk of DVT. ask the hospital about blood thinning medication such as heparin. a pressure mattress may be of great help to prevent pressure sores and to relieve some of your pain. to apply for one on loan you must apply through the district nurse not social services.

it is best to start making arrangements now so everything is in place when you get home. doing an online shop before you go in is an idea so that you have easy to cook food available even if it's just ready meals.

how long ago did you move? a year ago i moved from the basement flat from hell to a new build bungalow. after a few weeks of my worst symptoms to date i went to see my GP. he said it was the stress of the move and i needed to rest in bed for several more weeks to recover. please give yourself a chance to get over your move. try and relax and watch DVDs and not worry about things.

if you aren't well enough to go out you can get blood tests done at home by the district nurse. i also have an at home optician and the
co-op pharmacy deliver my prescription medication to me weekly.
have you had an O.T. from social services out to assess you and your new home? even if you were assessed in your last place it's worth having it done again. they may be aids that can be fitted to help you with turning in the night.

regarding your worries at being in hospital, i have found that things have improved over the last few years. you are normally asked, on admission, if you have any special requirements or mobility problems. for example i am never told to "wriggle across" from a trolley to a bed - they always slide me across. if i go in for outpatient procedures i don't even have to wait in the waiting room. last time a trolley was brought to transfer me to the necessary room to wait there lying down.

also make the staff aware about your pain tolerence levels. it is in my notes at the hospital that it is ok to give me 20mg of morphine when i need it as it doesn't help much. also take in any aids or equipment that make your life easier. you will feel better if you can maintain as much independence as possible.

sorry about the waffle. i hope there is something useful in there somewhere.
Adele x
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:13 pm

good luck with the op :hugs:

it may be hard work afterward but its not anything
a fibro sufferer is not use to is it :roll:
so you will get through it all ok :hugs: :flowers:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby rioruss » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Thankyou all so much for your replies. its so reassuring to know your not alone in how your feeling about different things.
I have only just changed Gp surgeries too and my old Gp was absolutely brilliant with me , it was a small village surgery with only 2 gps in it so it was more personal.
The new surgery is alot bigger with about 8 or 9 gps and have only seen the doc once so far, i was recommended to go to a particular one by a friend (fellow sufferer).
My old Gp would spend as much time as needed but new one sends you off after 10 mins , not that i needed longer but i just feel uncomfortable at the new surgery at the moment. its a completely new system from appointment making to medication dispensing .
Adele, I moved to the bungalow in October , i do have a very close friend who lives nearby who does alot for me , takes me to all my appointments etc.
rioruss
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:29 pm

You've had some good advice Russ, all I could probably add would cause chaos and confusion :facepalm: :facepalm:

Hope your op goes text bookedly perfect and you have a good recovery :grouphug: :grouphug:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fibro-lu » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:16 pm

all the best for the op and for the recovery
lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby shelleydwales » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:07 am

Hi riorus,
Good luck with the op!
Xxx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems