Worrying SYmptom

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Worrying SYmptom

Postby jamesmcg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:11 am

Hi all,

Thought id run past the latest symptom, which i attribute to fibro - just wanted to see if its just me!!

Lately ive been sleeping terribly, seem to nod off but only for approx 10 -20 mins then i wake up feeling really out of it, really disorientated. This carries on during the day, pretty much all day. So very tired, but cant sleep properly, cant shake the disorientated feeling, makes me quite anxious - which im sure makes it worse! This has been a prob for some time off and on, but seems especially bad at the moment, seems to be with me most all of the time now. I should add i was in a car accident a few weeks ago (no real physical damage done!) but i think since then my physical and sleeping symptoms have got much worse since then, i was really stressed about it at the time.

Does this make sense to anyone???

Thanks

James
jamesmcg
UKFM Member

Re: Worrying SYmptom

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi James

It could be the stress which is interfering with your sleep :dunno:

Sleep is a big problem with many fibro sufferers, I only get a couple of good hrs a night, the rest is just cat naps, I have to take sleeping meds to get more hrs but they don't always work. :(

Have you tried having a hot bath before you go to bed? Or put some earphones on and listen to some relaxing music to fall asleep to?

You should have a word to your gp, did you have a good check over after your car accident?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby jamesmcg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi Shaz,

cat naps is right, thats what its like, ill fall asleep for short periods during the day - very short - just minutes at a time, even when im at work!

Yeah ive tried baths, music, relaxation techniques - the only thing that seems to help a tiny bit is to eat not long before i plan to go to bed, that seems to mean that when i sleep at least its slightly deeper. Also i need to make sure im very very tired, otherwise its a very light sleep - which i hate!

Yeah i saw the paramedics after the accident, and my own gp - no damage, just some whiplash - but very mild
jamesmcg
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi
Have you tried Amitriptyline? They are a common med used for fibro, they help with pain and sleep.

You can try natural products sleeping meds from the chemist but ask them fist if they are ok to take if you are on any meds.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Worrying SYmptom

Postby Lyssie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Hiya. I'm really so sorry to hear you're having a hard time - I often feel like I'm in a bubble, all disorientated :( hugs. Hope it all eases for you soon, Lyssie xx
Lyssie :-) ...xX
Lyssie
UKFM Member

Postby jamesmcg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:17 pm

yeah shaz, ive tried ami, honestly it made me feel like i was going off my head, really felt unwell with it.

hi Lyssie, ah well im sorry you have similar problems - but at the same time its kinda good to know its not just me! a bubble is a great way to put it, a total bubble with just me in it, such a horrible feeling! thanks a lot :-)
jamesmcg
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:19 pm

jamesmcg wrote:yeah shaz, ive tried ami, honestly it made me feel like i was going off my head, really felt unwell with it.

It might be worth asking your GP for an alternative to amis with them making you feel like you've said. I had problems with them, so was swapped onto nortriptyline. Same kind of med as amis, but is said to have less side effects and be better tolerated. Might be worth a try.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby jamesmcg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:39 pm

thanks fluffy, ill do that :-)
jamesmcg
UKFM Member

Postby jamesmcg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:41 pm

i must say i do worry an awful lot about the side effects of meds, since fibro started to appear some years ago i became much more sensative to side effects, i never used to! especially with any kind of anti-d's, the possible side effects sound so awful that it kinda puts me off :(
jamesmcg
UKFM Member

Postby cherryblossom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 am

Hi James I know exactly how you feel, along with many others I think. I'm forever nodding off very briefly throughout the day, like you say, just a minute or two at a time :roll: . When this happens I feel soooo tired immediately beforehand - almost like a drunk feeling - and then I nod off. Absolutely nothing I do stops it :( :( , I've tried everything and if I fight it I end up like some drunk with very slurred words, making no sense at all and not even remembering anything about it at all or anything immediately before it. I rarely drive much now either as I have so little control when it happens that I have very nearly had accidents :yikes: so I stay clear if I can and OH drives for me.Just lately I'm hopeless sleeping at night, some could be due to alot of stress, but I am on ami's and tramadol and paracetamol, but even then I, like you, have to make sure I am so tired to be able to go to bed and get a couple of hours sleep. I still wake up after a couple of hours and I'm usually up by 7 every morning! It drives me mad sometimes! Anyway, no idea how to help I'm afraid, like you I'm trying to find something to help as well. So, thinking of you at silly o clock times :crazy: and hoping you get some sleep too. Take care. Cherry x
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby thebryans » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi James.
I had the same problem as you which seemed to get worse over time to the point where i fell asleep in my dinner, ( which my then 4yr old grandaughter thought was hiarious )
It started to really affect me, so my doc sent me for tests, at the breathing clinic, where they did the tests and found I had severe sleep aopnea,
they put me on a cpap machine at night, which I hate but means I sleep better at night and dont fall asleep very often in the daytime now, but still cant drive,
so please go to your doc and get checked out,
dont worry it can be sorted easily,
loraine
thebryans
UKFM Member

Postby Salgor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 pm

I have the same problem of cat napping during the day, even although I have slept during the night. I have seen myself dropping off several times during a drama on TV. It's really annoying because when I come back I've missed some of the plot and got to ask hubby what I've missed.

Although I've slept thru the night (due to amis, temazepam etc) I still feel ready to sleep just after breakfast and so it goes on thru the day. Maybe it is because my sleep has no goodness to it, if you get my drift. :crazy:

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Me too :roll: :roll: :roll:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems