Arthritis

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Arthritis

Postby Woodentop » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Have seen a rheumatologist today and he has confirmed my doctor's diagnosis of some form of inflammatory arthritis - most likely rheumatoid, but he's not sure yet. What has upset me is that he wanted me to have a drug called methotrexate, originally a cancer drug but now used for inflammatory conditions, but I know of two people who have been prescribed this and the side effects are horrendous - nausea, diarrhoea, fatigue, lowered immune system, the list goes on and on. I don't tolerate medication at the best of times and given that a lot of the side effects are ones that I already get with fibro I just don't want to risk it. Already have IBS and I get upset stomachs so easily. Also it can affect your kidneys, shouldn't be taken if you have kidney disease ( which I have ). I wondered if anyone out there takes it and how they get on with it. I take co codamol for the fibro pain and that has enough side effects on it's own, but I was told I could continue taking it.
What really annoys me is the attitude of medical professionals when you try to go against what they want. They push drugs at you and only give you the most basic of info. The rest I have found out from reliable sources on the internet. Finally, the rheumy nurse said I could have a bit more time to decide, as I wasn't going to pay out for a prescription for two medicines that I might not get on with ( the other being folic acid which helps to counteract nausea and puts the folic acid back into the body as the methotrexate destroys it ). I have appointments with physio and occy therapist, but not until 21st Feb, so I'm hanging on until I've seen them.
After 3 hours at the hospital, blood tests, x rays etc I was so fatigued and ready to crawl into bed when I got home!
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Re: Arthritis

Postby Adele » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:57 pm

i cannot recommend bath royal hospital for rheumatic diseases enough. considering they have been established nearly 400 years they know their stuff. i know it is quite far from where you live but i met someone from scotland in there when i was admitted. i have a friend with rheumatoid arthritis who receives fantastic care there and has no complaints.

i was admitted for 2 weeks in november and they provided a taxi for me and my powerchair each way. it's lovely to be in the middle of bath and you are encourged to go sightseeing and to the theatre.

the doctors there would never recommend methotrexate unless you had a definitive diagnosis. they would diagnose you themselves before treating you. having said that my friend is doing really well on it.

if nothing else it's a lovely place to go and put your feet up for a while. i have asked for another 2 weeks in june - and they didn't say no!

i had already been to london to see prof davies as an outpatient and was not impressed with his attitude or my treatment. my gp was happy to re-refer me to bath as an outpatient and the consultant wanted me to be admitted.

best wishes, Adele
Adele
UKFM Member

Re: Arthritis

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi woodentop

I have been on methotrexate a couple of times for my crohns,i was back on them last yr,they are a nasty drug with many side effects,i had to take folic acid but still had to take anti sickness meds on top. They did not help my inflammation this time they just made me feel worse as so many side effects.
The hospital have it written on my notes now not to give it to me again.

:goodluck1: if you do try it.you might be fine on it as meds affect everyone differently. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems