fibro vs bipolar

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fibro vs bipolar

Postby zararara » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:30 am

not sure where to post this.

recently been diagnosed with both, latest being bipolar. gp put me on amitryptiline and cocodamols for the fibro, but after seing the physcartrist he said im not allowed the ammis as people with bipolar should never have anti d's. So, now ive got to take an ammi everyother day for a week to help with withdrawels. not really helped the fibro pain but was only on them for 16 days before being told to come off them.
now im on a manic phase, im full of life (except the fog and tired stick at times) and im wanting to do so much, but the fibro is like, noooooo :dunno: lol its like mind vs body. im in hell!
went to see the gp ( a different, older one) and told him the situation and what else can i have for the pain, his responce was there is nothing else for fibro, so i asked about a pain clinic and he said we dont have access to one, asked for a sicknote as i am putting in a claim for esa, as my partner is off work long term, i was going to get a part time job, but as i told him i can just about look after us all ( i have 2 young children) and thats just about since the fibro, and he wouldnt put fibro on the sick note!
surely there is something else to try for the pain. im due to start carbamazepine or valporate for the bipolar (lithium seemed to scary) in a months time.
just dont know if im coming or going at the moment and really not impressed with that gp :hit1:
zararara
UKFM Member

Re: fibro vs bipolar

Postby cherryblossom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:07 am

Hi. I'm not much help with regards to medication for you as I'm still learning myself. But I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and hope you find a balance of things that's right for you. I have some idea of what you're going thru as my sister was recently diagnosed with bi-polar which she has had for a very long time but just needed the right gp to come along and diagnose it for her. She has been to hell and back with it so to have that and fibro is surely no joke! Anyway, thinking of you loads and sending some gentle :hugs: :hugs: Take care. Cherry x
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:21 am

hello. just a couple of things. firstly what your psychiatrist said is rubbish. i was on antidepressants of all sorts whilst taking lithium and other mood stabilisers for bipolar. my friend who has severe bipolar 1 is currently on 60mg of prozac among her other meds which is a huge dose. i have known more people with bipolar to take antid's than not.

secondly if you have some imput into which mood stabiliser to choose then i would recommend carbamazapine. it has been prescribed to me as a mood stabiliser and for my pain. it is an anti-convulsant like gabapentin and pregabalin which are more commonly prescribed for fibro but it still does the job well.

valproate does not help with pain and to be honest made my mood plummet each time i tried it. lamotrigine is a mood stabiliser that unfortunately doesn't help pain but is a mood stabiliser with very few if any side effects in most people. i had none on it.

someone will be along soon with more info on meds and treatments for fibro. best wishes, A x
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi Zara

There are a few different meds that you could try for fibro, i have added a link for you to go through.

The most common meds used are Gabapentin & pregabalin but every one reacts differently to them, most meds can take up to 4 weeks to kick in but you tend to get the side effects very quickly.

Anti d`s are also a common med used for fibro most are started off on Ami`s but if your not allowed to stay on them you will have to just go for the pain meds. :goodluck1:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby zararara » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks for the replys.
seen the gp today as my mood is yo-yo ing he thinks its the withdrawels from the amis. mania is very bad. he agreed that there is no reason why i should come off the amis and its a shame as its a good one, but he said he cant do anything as mental health are dealing with medication and told me to come off them, but suggested carbamazepine as it will help with the fibro, which is basically what you said Adele. hes given me tamazepam to help with the mania till i see the physcairtrist on tuesday.
wish all the doctors could agree with each other! lol
zararara
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi there, hope all is well at the moment, despite the pain and mood swings.

I can sort of relate to you as I have fibro and potentially bipolar affective disorder - my pyschiatrist says I could be possibly bipolar, but still under investigation for bipolar at the moment. I have tried various anti-depressant, including amtriplying, prozac, sertraline, etc....but they cause me to be restless, or irritable....but apparently anti-depressant can causes bipolar sufferers to go into manic stages if taking anti-depressants.....I know that sometimes pyschiatrists will give anti-pyschotics or anti-epilectic medication for bipolar, but they are used as an off-label medication for other conditions, like anxiety, autism, and occassionally pain relief, etc....I know that epilectic tablets are sometimes give for bipolar and pain relief.....

I maybe wrong, but I am almost certain that tablets like gabapentin can be used for deprression and fibro.....Hope you are ok....All the best.....I know it is tough have fibro vrs bipolar......Can I asked you a question about bipolar vrs fibro? Do you still get pain and fatigue issues even during your manic stages? With myself, I can sometimes have both flare ups with my fibro and depression...so it is abit confusing know what is what...do you experience the same issue...Hope you don't mind me asking you. All the best............From SJC. :-D
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby zararara » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:07 pm

sjc wrote: Can I asked you a question about bipolar vrs fibro? Do you still get pain and fatigue issues even during your manic stages? With myself, I can sometimes have both flare ups with my fibro and depression...so it is abit confusing know what is what...do you experience the same issue...Hope you don't mind me asking you. All the best............From SJC.

Hi, Yes, the pain is worse during the mania as its making you do more which causes the pain to really kick up. I still have the fatigue, but in a much shorter phase, just like the fog, the fatigue still comes and lifts. I have had a few hours a night sleep since the mania has kicked in, the doctor put me on tamazepam and i still couldnt sleep. Its just more exhausting at the moment, still weaning off the amis, not sure if they brought the mania on as i was due a mania phase anyway, but as with other anti d's ive had, they all brought on and exagerated the mania. cant wait to go back into a low mood to be honest, im just so tired now lol

Hope your psychiatrist gets you sorted soon, I've been in and out of mental health since i was 11 yrs old, and its taken them all this long to recognise whats been going on!!

Zara :-)
zararara
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems