Degenerative changes

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Degenerative changes

Postby lolabolla » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Morning all,

Following a recent MRI scan I have received the results today. The letter states that the scan on my spine revealed marked degenerative changes with impingement of L5 nerve root and to contact my GP for a referral to spinal surgeon :shock: :shock: to address the problem further.
Has anyone else had/got this and have you had treatment surgery? Any help, advice or views are gratefully received.

Lola xx :needhug:
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Re: Degenerative changes

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Sorry Lola, not been thru anything like that so not much help to you I'm afraid :facepalm: :facepalm: :grouphug: :grouphug: Iwas going to suggest getting an appt to see your GP and see if they can explain things in a bit more detail.

Whatever it is, there will be lots of :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: for you, as well as hope for the best possible outcome for you :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby 6611160 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 pm

I've had a ruptured disc at L4/L5 which basically numbed the whole of the outside of my left leg from mid thigh to toes, as well as causing excruciating pain. It started at the toes and gradually worked up as the rupture got worse & pressed more on the nerves. I had physio, and an epidural for pain relief that only lasted a week for me, but is different for everyone. In the end i had to have a discectomy, and lucky I opted for that risky route as later when I had a check up with my surgeon, he admitted that if we had waited another 24 hours, there would have been permanent nerve damage affected bowel & bladder control as well as my leg. The good news though is that from being barely able to walk with a stick and dragging the leg before the op, I was climbing stairs the following morning, albeit gingerly as I was badly bruised from the op, and didn't need the stick again for quite some time. Unfortuantely, then came the flare up of fibro symptoms, which I finally got a diagnosis for last year after over 20 years of various symptoms...

You really need to get it checked out properly... My surgeon is fantastic, Mr Mel Grainger who works in the Midlands area at Birmingham & Worcester & even though I've moved, for anything to do with Orthopaedics, I still go back to him.

Good luck xx
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Thankyou for your replies Flup and 6611160. I have an appointment with my GP in February to discuss everything and get a new sick note for work.
Lola x
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 pm

My problems are at C4, C5 and C6 and was advised that the benefits weren't worth the risk for me, but hopefully it will for you so :fingerscrossed: they can help
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lolabolla » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for replying denys.

How is yours being treated? if you don't mind me asking.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Its not :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just pain relief as thats how I ended up being diagnosed with FM to go with it :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems