pneumonia

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pneumonia

Postby Adele » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:48 pm

hi. as a recap, i was diagnosed with pneumonia in my right lung on christmas day after spiking a fever. i had been coughing for 5 weeks and had already had one course of antibiotics. so here i am another 5 weeks later, still coughing, and i have just had the out of hours doctor out as i am too ill to stand up and have spiked a fever again.

i am on a third course of antibiotics and my asthma is getting scary. oh and i now have pneumonia in both lungs. i live in a small block of 4 bungalows built for the disabled. one of my bungalow neighbours died suddenly of pneumonia with no warning 2 weeks ago. he wasn't much older than me.

i am off for another xray on monday and hospital isn't out of the question. i am depressed, i have a migraine, a major flare (of course) and i am waiting to find out if i have glaucoma.

the joke is i had the pneumococcol vaccination in november, it flipping hurt, and it was all for nothing.
i just need someone to say the right thing and make everything better. i feel incredibly ill. xxx
Adele
UKFM Member

Re: pneumonia

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:21 pm

:grouphug: :grouphug: Adele. sounds like you need to be in hospital and have the anti bots through iv, are the docs keeping an eye on you? if you are not getting any better you should call for an ambulance. :hugs:

:fingerscrossed: this lot of anti bots will get to the infection this time you have had a rough time, hope you start to feel better soon. :hugs: :flowers:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shelleydwales » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:29 pm

Hi hun,i agree with shaz,if you are not feeling any improvement phone an ambulance.
3 lots of antibiotic havent worked,you might need a combination through iv .
Please get some more advice!!! Dont leave it!!
Hope you get sorted soon .
Take care shell xxxx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 pm

thanks for your replies. i will see how i am over the next 24 hours. i agree that iv antibiotics are probably necessary particularly as the bacteria hasn't been identitfied. i am immuno-suppressed that is why they try and keep me out of hospital. i have caught noro virus in hospital more than once. i have to admit that i am scared at how tenacious this infection is and want a proper diagnosis.

i'm wondering if the district nurse can treat me at home(?) she now comes out to do my blood tests. i am also wondering how i can strengthen my lungs. i have had pneumonia quite i few times now. i have scarring on my lungs from previous infections probably from the bouts i have at 6 and 8 years old. the biggest problem is that i don't have a good cough if i cough at all. i am unable to clear the bottom of my lungs and the infection moves in. i'm wondering if some sort of physio would help. anyone know?

happy news: it snowed here last night. only a shower but very pretty. :snowhappy:
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:03 am

I don't have any advice in terms of treatment hun, but I'm thinking of you. I really hope you're better soon.

I think it's worth looking into all options wrt lungs - if not physio then Hydrotherapy could help potentially - it's easier on the body than Physio, esp important with Fibro and ME. If nothing else it's calming just being in the warm water (for me anyway, I'm a water person).

:flowers:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Adele » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:46 am

thanks sweetie. i had hydro when i was in for rehabilitation last year. the problem is that i have been turned down locally as i am too ill and also even if they did agree the nearest hydro pool is 10 miles away . in rehab i was able to use my powerchair from my bed on the ward down to the hoist on the side of the pool.

i had one to one hydro daily, usually in an empty pool so no extra movement of the water, and i need that to continue. i have been warned that i am not to do group work or any exercises not prescribed for me in rehab. i agree though that it did help and it's just lovely to be back in the water. i used to spend at least an hour a day in a hot bath before i became too ill to. i am a water baby as well.

right, my lungs. i was still walking my dog and hiking 3-4 years ago pushing through the pain and fatigue, in between flares. my lungs were no better when it came to clearing fluid or mucus. it does worry me and no-one really knows what is wrong with me. my local nhs director of neurology believes i have a serious rare neurological illness but doesn't know what is going on.

must go back to sleep now xxx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby shelleydwales » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:17 am

Hi Adele,
How are you feeling this morning?
Hope the antibiotic are starting to work xxx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:33 am

The only physio that I have heard of to clear lungs is that used for people with cyctic fibrosis where they use different types of physio and massage, a friend of my nieces baby has it and they put her is a type of vest that shakes and squeezes her to get the mucus up :( :( :( I agree with the others though Adele and think you need to be in hospital. Hope they get you sorted, it must be frightening dealing with this on your own.
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:04 pm

I hope they're getting you sorted out today. There's nothing worse than the old 'something's wrong with you but we're not sure what' from Drs. I hope they can work it out soon for you.

I've also heard of physio for people with CF, I don't know whether massage would work for you with the pain - I can generally cope with a massage if gentle, but I know some people find it too much. It's worth looking into though, even if it just relaxed the muscles and eased some of the Fibro and ME pains.

Keep us updated x

ps: can you send some of the snow this way please? I bought wellies this year ready for snow after many falls over the last two winters and I've yet to see a snowflake!

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Adele » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:27 pm

thanks everyone. i am still here and sleeping for britain. i have been thinking for a while that a gentler sort of cf physio would help. it would need to be gentle though because i have spondylosis and disc trouble. i am very weak and will see on monday if i can go to my local hospital. i live in a market town and the hospital is lovely, so caring. unfortunately the respiratory ward is in the big bad city hospital and it's filthy. i just need nursing care more than anything.

time to sleep as chest pain getting worse. loads of love xxx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Adele

Hope you are feeling better today.

When i had fluid on my lungs in hospital they kept me propped up so try not to lay down to flat as that will keep building up fluid.

My son has asthma,when he was younger i used to have to do physio on his back to bring the mucus up, it used to help him cough it all up so its worth a try if you can get someone to do it for you.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Hope you're feeling better soon. My Mum has Spondylosis too, she's having some Physio at the moment so hopefully you'll be able to find some gentler Physio to help with the mucus, but without aggravating everything else.

Just got to see what happens on Monday when you have your X rays. It would be handy if they could send someone round to give you the nursing care, without placing you in the respiratory ward. Or if you could stay in the local hospital and not have to get across to the city.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you :fingerscrossed:

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems