im in agony

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

im in agony

Postby mand » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:17 pm

:cry: ...for the past three days really suffered with pain all over but spasms, mainly legs, thighs, back, hips and its affecting my walking, lifting my legs up just in a lot of pain,any slight movement feels painful and like moving lead....im stumbling and fell into the wash sink at work...i was good :yikes: i didn't :swear1: , the manager came to see what i had dont and told me to be careful, :shock: i felt like giving her the two fingered salute, i was wiping tears away on the bus comming from work couldn't sit straight..... never have i been like this im usually annoyed or cursing pain whatever i do, my heads mashed as well but due to lack of concentration... cannot sit, stand etc......sure the cold weather has somthing to do with it............

does anybody take a suppliment herbal like to help with spasms...im on 5htp and co-codamol at the moment and it suits, but think i might have to go to the next level of pain relief :yikes: ..........anybody please get intouch if there is a suppliment equivilant to relieve muscle spasms out there....... that or warmer climate for me...............many thanks me ducks :-D
mand
UKFM Member

Re: im in agony

Postby lolabolla » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Mand,
Sorry you're not feeling well :(
My GP advised taking magnesium in addition to my meds. I still take it every day but I can honestly say that it has not made one bit of difference, I live in hope :( It may help you though.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby shelleydwales » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi mand,sorry to hear how much pain you are in :-( .
I dont know of any supplements but what you are describing is how I was,then I got to the stage where I couldn't stand anything touching ny legs and was in to much pain to walk at all and would fall over all the time when I tried.
Im now on butrans patches and pregabalin ,this combo has got me mobile again,i still have back and leg pain and weak legs at times but im up and about and no longer in my bed watching life pass me by!
Speak to your gp soon as you have already fallen over,i hope you find something that works for you hun.
Shell xxx
Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi Mand
This cold weather does not help with our pain, it gets to our joints to. As you are traveling to work on the bus have you thought about using hand warmers inside your gloves? & heat pads on your back? they might help reduce the pain or if you have a Tens machine wear it while at work. If you do a sit down job are you able to take a hot water bottle into work? as they help to ease pain.

As soon as you let your body get cold i find the worse your pain becomes. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Adele » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:06 am

hi mand. firstly some :hugs: and [chocolate] i have also had a dreadful time over the years with muscle spasms and rigidity. the cold is definitely a contributing factor in my case. there are medications that relax muscles and these maybe worth considering. i was originally on 5mg diazepam 3 times a day every day which i think is no good for anyone so i came off it. i have also tried baclofen which is solely a muscle relaxant. it unfortunately didn't work for me.

the medicine that i have had most success with is zanaflex, which i am currently taking. it is meant to be prescribed only by a consultant but my gp prescribed it when i requested it. i still have break through spasms which i treat with diazepam. i am prescribed 21 x 2mg tablets a week to take as required. the combination really works for me.

please don't think that things can't improve. i swear by long johns in winter and a thermal vest. it may be an idea to put extra thermal layers on for the journey to and from work. also please look after your needs at work. you had an accident which should have been taken seriously. a report should have been made in the accident book and if you needed to sit down, lie down or go home to recover afterwards then you had every right to. i take my hat off to you that you do work. xxx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:23 pm

I used to be freezing cold at work and really struggled with that aspect. Cold makes our muscles more tense and most people with Fibro find it makes things worse. I'm best in spring and summer, providing it's not too hot as I have an aversion to the sun (it makes me feel sick very quickly).

I used to wear multiple pairs of thick tights under my skirts and dresses to work (I don't do trousers). If you do wear trousers to work you could try putting a thick pair of wolly tights on underneath. I usually put on a normal pair of 70 denier tights on, with a pair of 80-150 denier on top. I also wore high up the leg boots to work so I could wear a pair of socks over my tights as an extra layer for my feet. You could try travelling in a pair of warm, ugg style boots and then change at work to a pair appropriate for your job.

Two years ago I worked in a shop which didn't have any central heating, they built it in the summer and a mess up meant that they'd rigged up the air con, but not the heating :facepalm: - I used to wear a thick hoodie with a furry lining on top of a thick woolen dress which was on top of a long sleeved jumper, on top of a camisole, on top of a long-sleeved t-shirt. I also wore fleecy socks over 3 pairs of tights in ugg boots and a hat, scarf and gloves.

If it's very cold at work speak to your manager or HR and ask if they can turn the heating up, or perhaps put an electric heater near your desk. Ask for it as a reasonable adjustment. Also, there is a minimum temperature which is legal for a workplace - at the shop I mentioned above we recorded the temperature at significantly below the legal minimum. When they told me off for not wearing the proper store colours I politely reminded them that they couldn't legally ask me to work at that temperature. So it was either let me wear warm clothes which weren't black and white, or I would refuse to work within my rights as an employee. They let me wear what I wanted :-D
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby mand » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi gang, many many thanks for the replies, i really appreciate the advice and no matter how small or simple, daft the question ...you all know what im going through....thank god for this site or i would have gone under, you come on the website at your lowest ebb and it's brill as you don't have someone at the end looking daft at you or pretending to listen but dont :roll: (work collegues/family etc)

still in pain,and spasms but not as severe today, had a lift to/from work and today took my time and had plenty to drink...since weekend only having a drink before shift, then nothing for 4 hours so dont know if de-hydration has anything to do with it, clothes wise now has changed i have light layers if needed, living in lesiure pants and have sheepskin mittens, don't like anything tight at the mo, only wear croc's trainers or clarks leisure shoes, in the morning the thermals are on :-D , then come off at work as it is very warm :-D , next week i am due to see the gp so will wait for this appt, he's great and no fobbing off, but it takes a while to get to see him, but with tum probs he wants to see me monthly... im holding out for medication and hopefully when the weather changes :nono: ( am i in denial), just had fibro for a year so not used to seasonal body changes...i can hope :crazy: .......and i'l bet your tut tutting thinking she will learn :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so it;s a case of keeping warm, and max dosage of meds and even putting ibu gel like you stick body lotion on...all over :penguin: and off we go, then home from work and 1/2 hour warm up in bed :crazy: ............
mand
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems