itching torso

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

itching torso

Postby animalhouse » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 am

don;t really know what it could be associated with but i always sseem to have itchy back, sides, front, breasts but nowehere else really.

anyone know what it could be, wondered if it was from when i went swimming but don;t think so saw something about thyroid someone mentioned and have put on lots of weight but put that down to lack of movement/gabapentin.

#just wondered if anyone had any ideas as not anywhere else on body just torso. :?: :?:
thanks
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Re: itching torso

Postby Adele » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:22 pm

hi. there are a number of reasons why you could be itching so if it persists over the weekend have a chat with your gp over the phone on monday. chlorine is very harsh but another possibility is either an allergy to your swimsuit fabric or is it the wrong size and rubbing.

make sure you wash the chlorine out carefully after every swim as well. if you are swimming consecutive days then it is possible that a fungus or mould has taken a liking to the damp and warmth in your s.s. as it dries.

strong painkillers also make people itch. i have benodryl on prescription which helps a lot. you can also get your gp to prescribe you good old fashioned E45 cream to calm your itching. i get it by the half kilo for my eczyma.

big hugs, Adele x
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi animalhouse

I often go through stages of itching, i dont know what triggers it off but it can be all over my body, my back and boobs are driving me mad at the moment. :evil:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shelleydwales » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi animalhouse,i also go through this,sends me bonkers in the night!!!
It was a lot worse when I was on citalopram,it was every day then,i have e45 and some gel from docs thats an emoliant xx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:55 pm

i always have a shower and rinse throgoughly with shampoo after a swim so don;t think it could be that and wash my cosy/towel in the machine .

i do take citalopram, as well as gabapentin, codeine, diclofenac, paracetamol, dosulepin and recently tramadol but was doing it before then on and off so wondered if it is meds. have been on them on for past 18 months except teh tramadol but definitely wasn't doing it before then.

its not that bad so didn't think it could be that its just the kids have started telling me off when i sit watching telly and my my arm goes up to sscratch my back and kids shout at me to put my belly awwy, or suddently notice another role of skin/fat that didnt use to be there. :(
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Lots of reasons why you might itch. I have Eczema and find E45 lotion the best, the E45 cream is also good and can be prescribed but I prefer the lotion as it's less sticky. You can also get shower washes by E45 and a much cheaper Superdrug's own which I find just as good, it may help soothe your skin and help reduce how much washing dries it out.

Have a look through your info leaflets about the various meds - I think itching and skin rashes are often listed as a potential side effect. Itching can also indicate a thyroid problem like you said so it's best to see your GP to rule it out. They should hopefully be able to tell you if it's Eczema or not. I have Eczema generally but also get specific problem patches where it's worse and I often find that's near my boobs and the top of my ribcage, on my arms or stomach/back. I had a bad patch between my boobs a few years ago. My boobs often itch a lot - I think bras can aggravate it sometimes, especially when tight around the back or lacy. If you have a sports bra or non underwired bra you may find that more comfy on your skin.

It could also be an allergic reaction to something you've eaten, or a skincare product or detergent. It's possible to use a product for years and then suddenly develop an allergy to it out of the blue. If you've used anything new recently try not using it and see if it starts to improve. If it gets worse after using something, or eating something speak to your GP about it. I'm allergic to my mother-in-law's detergent and it makes me itch like mad when my boyfriend gets his clothes washed there and hugs me :evil:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Adele » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:00 pm

tramadol is the most likely cause particularly combined with the codeine. i get benodryl on prescription for this reason and take morning and night. you mentioned weight gain - i gained about 3 stone in 3 months on in so i had to stop. it's a great drug, seriously, except for that and the tremours and twitches and the stammering and drooling. i slept like a baby on it but slept more than i was awake.
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:59 pm

I have an underactive Thyroid as well as fibro . I always know when i'm ready for a change in meds as i get an itchy Torso .

May be worth getting it checked out .. ( not been on here for a while so forgive me if you have posted somewhere that you

have had it checked ) Motherelle x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Nice to see you on here again motherelle :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby motherelephant » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Hello Fluffypuffy thought it was time to pop in again .Hope you are ok . Motherelle x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm bobbling along okish motherelle :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

I have bouts of itchiness animalhouse, to the point where I've broken the skin/made myself bleed with clawing at the itch. Not sure what causes it as it's completely random and has happened while I've been on different meds at different times :-? :-? :-?

I find aloe vera gel good for calming the itchiness and irritation, as well as helping with taking the redness out of my skin.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby supersha » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:31 am

Hi all,
Well im always itching, thought it was in my head in the end, i itch everywhere, no rash an then it just stops :-? sometimes it feels like prickly heat it drives me nuts :-x i also get like restless legs but everywhere so more like restless body, any ideas is this FM related? xx
supersha
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:55 pm

supersha wrote:Hi all,
Well im always itching, thought it was in my head in the end, i itch everywhere, no rash an then it just stops :-? sometimes it feels like prickly heat it drives me nuts :-x i also get like restless legs but everywhere so more like restless body, any ideas is this FM related? xx

Hi
Yes restless legs is another symptom of fibro :( i get it in my arms as well, i find that gentle stretches sometimes help.
I find i get it more when i am tired and my body wants to shut down.

If they are new symptoms you should get it checked out by your GP just to rule other things out. Your gp can give you muscle relaxants which can help.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Purrlishious » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:16 am

Hi animalhouse. So sorry you feel like this & I know how uncomfortable it is.
I'm really new here but saw your post & had to reply.
When I started itching or 'the aliens' creeping around under my skin I found it a start of an infection of constant ear/nose/chest so self started with antihistamines.I even itched up in my nose & in my ears!
But luckily I started taking high dose Fish Oils Omega 3 for lots of other symptoms & found that the itching markable stopped & only get it very little now without the aggressive scratch scratch scratch syndrome & horrific red lines all over body!

Hope this helps.

Purrlishious
Purrlishious
UKFM Newbie

Postby MCT » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:44 pm

I was bad last night everywhere was itching - even felt as though there was a rash on my lower back and I had some tiny raised spots on some of my fingers. I knew there were anti-histamines in the house cos I'd bought a couple of packets ages ago - I had the living room upside down looking for them & eventually found a strip of them hiding in my jewellery tool bag ( :roll: no, I don't know how they got there either!!! Once I'd taken one it was about half an hour or so before the itching subsided enough to try and settle down for sleep.

Tonight when I went to get the take-away menu out a drawer - lo and behold when I lifted it out there was the actual packet I was looking for last night & I had even looked in that drawer too!
MCT
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems