Joint Hypermobility and FMS

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Joint Hypermobility and FMS

Postby meyer12 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:11 am

Just wondering if anyone has joint hypermobility? I saw my rummy team the other day and the Nurse thinks i have joint hypermobility as well as FMA and ?RA.

Would be interested to see what everyone has to say and if there is any advice that can be given.

thanks x
meyer12
UKFM Member

Re: Joint Hypermobility and FMS

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 am

There are a few on here with joint hypermobility and FM, and there have a been a few threads about it. If you do a bit of searching you'll probably dig some up that you may find helpful :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby animalhouse » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:43 am

i was diagnosed with this as well as fibro in aug 2010 aged 39.

dont really understand anything about it though as never had any physical problems at all until diagnosed after car accident.

look on the hypermobility website but that it. sorry cant be more helpful.

when had esa medical she asked me about it but knew nothing about it then other than being double jointed as a kid and being able to bend my fingers back so didc npot understand the impact then.

now i put my pains down to fibro as said don;t know much about that sorry.

:-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby lolabolla » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:15 pm

I was also diagnosed recently by my Reumy as having FM and Hypermobility. I have always been 'bendy' especialy my fingers and toes and could do the splits when I was younger :yikes:
I have always taken it for granted that my ankles have been a problem since childhood as they tend to get painfull when I tried to run.
Having done a little research into Hypermobility everything has clicked into place. I have had dislocated/broken toes, sprains, torn ligaments/muscles and broken bones over the years which is all part of Hypermobility, I score a 7 on the beighton scale which is used to measure Hypermobility.

Hope this has helped you.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Like Lola I also have a Beighton score of 7 :) i can do everything bar bend my knees back. My knees just twist.

Hypermobility, like most conditions, is highly variable. Some people have very widespread hypermobility, some have only a few affected joints. How bendy people's joints are varies. Hypermobility itself is very common, when a person has Hypermobility Syndrome it's slightly different - this is when Hypermobility starts to affect your life. So if you get painful joints, dislocate your joints, have your joints sublux (partially dislocate) - that is HMS, as opposed to just being hypermobile. Hypermobility can be a condition on it's own, or it can be part of more serious conditions called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Type Three Hypermobility Type or Marfans Syndrome which also affects the heart I believe.

It's very common for people with Hypermobility Syndrome to have Fibro. It also increases your risk of developing arthritis, esp Osteoarthritis and at a young age. Both my parents have HMS and they both have arthritis, Mum's had it since she was 24 so only a few months older than I am now. I'm starting to show signs of arthritis in my fingers too now :( which reminds me I need to chase my Dr for Xrays my Rheumy wanted me to have 3 months ago!

I have many hypermobile joints, my ankles are by far the worst. They almost completely dislocate daily. Yay. On the plus side I can scratch my whole back when it itches, I can fully apply my own body lotions etc. And when I did Hydrotherapy I could remove the armbands on my ankles by placing my foot on the opposite shoulder whilst standing on the other leg. Freaking out the other people at the same time :-D It does make for some cool party tricks.

http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x35 ... CN2342.jpg

My favourite is to do the above with my ankles. I'm more hypermobile than my parents - they can't stand themselves on just their last two toes. I can :-) I'd also like to point out that my legs aren't actually that fat, it's just the camera angle making them look massive lol.

There's some good extra info on it here:

http://www.hypermobility.org/
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Joint-hype ... ction.aspx
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/spec ... -syndrome/ (goodness, didn't expect this to exist. am off to check their info on Fibro now!)
http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arth ... drome.aspx
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby animalhouse » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:23 pm

how are you with back pain,

becasue i can nearly or sometimes bend down and touch my toes/floor with ease, they do not believe me when i have had chronic bac pain for past 2 years.

pain is higher up in my mid back so it actually kills when i go back into upright position so everytiime i go for medicals they say touch your toes thats fine, and with one physio she said i coudln't posssibly have slippe disc becaue i could raise my leg when lying down etc,
but i told her i wasn't as mobile as ususal or no pain moving legs ooutwards but upwards such as going up stairs.

this has been my problem all along with having medicals.

it is how well we can bend/stretch versus the pain levels. :crazy: :crazy:

this is why i have had terrbile sciatic pains in hips/groin down leg and to back of ankles and base of foot so kept trying to explain thought i had a prolapsed disc and not stiff musles, back pain as coming from the vertebrae itself in my spsine but everyone who has assessed me just thinks i have msk.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:31 pm

I was worried about the toe thing at medical. I can almost always place my palms flat on the floor. Which I was going to argue technically meant I couldn't touch my toes as it would be unnatural for me to be able to bend my hands down such a small distance. Before I knew I was hypermobile I used to wonder why other people couldn't touch the floor with their legs straight.

Luckily on the day of my medical I had very bad muscular pains, esp in my legs. I couldn't bend down to my knees that day, or squat down :-D

It is ridiculous though - what job out there only requires someone to be able to touch their toes?!

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Ldyalb wrote:It is ridiculous though - what job out there only requires someone to be able to touch their toes?!

A contortionist, and as we all know, it's everyone's secret desire to be one :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:39 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote:
Ldyalb wrote:It is ridiculous though - what job out there only requires someone to be able to touch their toes?!

A contortionist, and as we all know, it's everyone's secret desire to be one :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Ah Flup, you're listing my broken dreams :lol:

I always wanted to be one of those escape artists though. Sadly once I entered my teens I lost of a lot of my childhood flexibility. I used to be able to do all sorts of crazy stuff. It would be pretty neat to be able to squeeze through a pipe. I suspect I'd have to cut down on the [chocolate] though. So perhaps not :-)

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems