Anyone had a Trapped Nerve Causing Thigh Problems?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone had a Trapped Nerve Causing Thigh Problems?

Postby MCT » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:08 am

A couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with a trapped nerve (Meralgia Paresthetica) which is fuffing sore and yet has caused horrendous pins and needles down my right thigh, especially the outer side from hip to knee. There's also a large area to the front of my thigh which has been really numb & has been feeling really weird.

Then a couple of days ago, as I was lying on my recliner with my feet up, I felt as though I was being repeatedly stabbed in the numbed area and each "stab" was accompanied by my leg jerking clear off the chair. Now that area of my thigh seems to have a lump in the area of the "stabbing" and the numb area now feels as though it's on fire as well as being numb at the same time :-? I actually feel as though I've been burned (it feels almost as bad as the time I missed the jam jar and poured very hot jam over my hand) - clothing is irritating it and I can't bear going in a bath or shower as being in warm water seems to aggravate it.

I've got an appointment with my GP a week on Monday as I was to make one a month after the last visit about it but I don't know if I should just bear it out till then or not, the painkillers I have just now (dihydro codiene) don't seem to do much to help either.
MCT
UKFM Member

Re: Anyone had a Trapped Nerve Causing Thigh Problems?

Postby denys » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:59 pm

If it were me I would go back early and explain that things have changed for the worse :fingerscrossed: they can then give you some decent pain relief, I keep trapping a nerve in my neck so know how painful it is :hugs: :hug:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi
Have you got a Tens machine? If you have try using that it might help, if not I would go see your gp earlier. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby MCT » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks folks. I didn't manage to see my own GP but the one I did see seems to think that the lump is an abscess but isn't sure how it could have got there! I have a prescription for some antibiotics (flucloxacillin) in case that's what it is although I'm not entirely convinced about the diagnosis myself, so far the only thing the antibiotics seem to be doing is making me feel queasy.

FInding this under "Precautions" didn't exactly fill me with joy either - "The elderly: flucloxacillin should be used with caution in older patients (aged more than 50 years) as it may affect the liver." Me! Elderly! :shock: :nono: I may feel 80 most of the time :cry: but I'm still on the low side of 50!
MCT
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems