What is this?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What is this?

Postby susan74 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry - couldn't think what to call the post :-?

I have a new thing happening to me lately that I'm not sure is related to the fibro or not, so thought i'd ask you all before I go off to see doc - again (spending more time with doc than OH lately it seems :( )

Don't quite know how to describe this so bear with me lol.

Just lately my brain seems to almost disregard certain information. Can't think of a better way of putting it. For example, when I was out with my daughter earlier, we went to cross the road, and although we looked before crossing - and I saw a car coming up the street - my brain just sort of ignored it and I went to cross anyway. Luckily my daughter stopped me (and told me off for not looking lol) but I just couldn't process the fact that the car was actually moving toward me. Then when I was making dinner I took the roasting tin out of the oven, but went to put it back without using oven gloves. I knew it was hot, my brain kind of said "stop", but my hands just carried on anyway - again daughter was there to stop me! Gotta love that little girl :-D :-D :-D

This has happened quite a few times lately, in different ways - and feels different to the usual fibro fog (although that won't help things) and I just have no idea what is wrong. I'm not on any new meds, no more exhausted than usual, and probably slighly less stressed than normal too. Unless I've just got accustomed to everything else and my brain is trying something new lol.

Anyway, does anybody else get this, am I just weird (as my kids like to think!) or ahould I get checked out do you think. I have a tendancy to jus go "oh it's fibro" and ignore things that probably shouldn't be ignored, so other opinions would be welcome.

Thanks all

Sue
susan74
UKFM Member

Re: What is this?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:46 pm

We're all weird according to our kids Susan, so you're in good company there :cup1: :cup1: :cup1:

I have times where everything is completely blocked out apart from the most important, vital and essential illogical thing that I am concentrating on. I've done the hand on hot tin/pan more times than I should have, burnt my leg on the hot tap in the bath and then gone back to do it again within a few minutes, as well as many other silly things that at the time were the most important things in the universe and needed to be done immediately, regardless of everything else :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

It's very frustrating, as if the fog has gone up another level just to remind us what it can do to us :swear1: :swear1: :swear1: I'm just thankful I don't drive anymore, as dog knows what could happen then :f1-car: If it's worrying you, or seems to be worsening, adding it to the list for a GP appt might not be such a bad idea, if only to reassure you about things.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby loubie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:59 pm

welcome to the loopy club :crazy: :crazy:

yes that is just like me to :roll:
things register very slow on a good day i have no chance on a bad day :roll:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby animalhouse » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:32 am

i did it with a pan a couple of times ages ago, consecutively picked up put down, ran hand under cold tap then went back and did it again as if i didn't know it would be hot.
its scarey isn't it. :crazy: :crazy:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Nellyphant » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:02 am

Phew, I'm not the only one then!!!! I do scare myself sometimes let alone those around me with the daft things that I do.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:41 pm

It's always nice when you find out you're not alone!

I know there have been loads of times I've gone into the oven, lift something off the hob or gone to take something out from under the grill and forgotten that it's hot in there, I now keep 2 aloe vera plants in the kitchen for burn relief.

A few weeks ago and all in the space of about 20 minutes, I burned my hand on the cooker, spilled a pot of boiling water over myself, I was scalded by the steam as I tried to pick it up - fortunately I was wearing a couple of layers of loose fitting clothes - and then finished it all off by dropping & smashing two dinner plates - I just sat down and cried!!! :cry:
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby susan74 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:53 pm

HAving read through all your replies I have to say a huge thank you :lol: I was starting to scare myself a bit I think.

I have always done the usual foggy stuff - milk in the microwave, dinner in the fridge, plates in the bin - you know the general day to day stuff we all do lol. And I have numerous burns from all the times i forgot the iron was on, hot plates etc, but the thing with crossing the road was really a bit much.

I have woke up feeling awful today though so maybe I have been more stressed than I thought. I have my first WRAG interview on Wedneday which I didn't think I'd been worrying about, but maybe i'm just suppressing - i'm good at that lol.

ANyway, feel much better knowing it's nothing new, just a more intense fog. Just when Ithought I was used to it all............... :cry:

Sue
susan74
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:01 pm

I am another one that has done silly things, last week I took a tray out of the oven and put it on top of the cooker, I then wanted to carry the tray over to the plate on the side, I had a tea towel in one hand and I was looking at it but picked up the hot tray with the other hand. :facepalm: :hit1: :hit1: I normally get someone else to take things out of the oven as I have a few burn scars and also drop the trays. :oops:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Judy S » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:19 am

Hi, I'm not exactly new but I haven't been here for a long time, and couldn't remember my previous username so I've had to re-register. Anyway, this is my first post for some years.

I came on here to remind myself what I should already know but seem to have forgotten (I had a period of remission). But basically, I have been really alarmed recently because this -

susan74 wrote:Hi everyone,

Just lately my brain seems to almost disregard certain information. Can't think of a better way of putting it. For example, when I was out with my daughter earlier, we went to cross the road, and although we looked before crossing - and I saw a car coming up the street - my brain just sort of ignored it and I went to cross anyway. Luckily my daughter stopped me (and told me off for not looking lol) but I just couldn't process the fact that the car was actually moving toward me.

Sue

... is EXACTLY what's been happening to me!! I look at something, and I see it, but my brain seems to be really slow in registering it. I am having to be extremely careful driving. Sometimes it takes a second before I 'recognise' something that should be very familiar, and probably because of this, it's sometimes very difficult to get started reading something. Although I have to say there are times I look straight at something and DON'T see it, too, basically it does seem to be a kind of 'brain lag'.

I've been having problems with my neck (I damaged it years ago and it's a constant source of problems) and last week I got really dizzy, nauseous, and this brain lag thing got worse - and I found I had blank spots in my memory, too. The dogs are getting confused because I sometimes can't remember their names. The older one is going to start thinking he's called 'black dog' soon!

Sue, do you have problems with your neck? I went to the chiro and she has helped a lot. She told me that this 'brain lag' thing is not unusual with people whose necks are out of alignment.
Judy S
UKFM Member

Postby Plain Jane » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:50 pm

OK, so I'm joining in now. I'm pleased to say that I haven't done very much to harm myself - yet! I definitely get the fog when I can't concentrate andam very clumsy - the OH says we're gonna buy crockery from the charity shop 'cos it's cheaper, lol. I did once drop a very hot casserole dish though I did have oven gloves on, it smashed my drop down oven door! I drop loads of things and I lose my balance and trip over nothing so maybe it's only a matter of time before I do something really outrageous like fall down the stairs.
Plain Jane
UKFM Member

Postby supersha » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Snap!! Im just getting worse :( iv even forgot my Daughters name! and I dont just mean a bit of confusion I really couldnt remember, im also forgetting words Im standing looking at something and cant name it, its wierd. I started off with the little things like touching things you know are hot now I cant for the life of me even remember if iv eaten :-) and tablets are a nightmare which is worrying as im talking about 200mg tramadol lol iv had to go back to the 50mg its safer! I tried the pillbox but theres so many different tabs and some are as and when there needed so cant really be put in a pillbox xx
supersha
UKFM Member

Postby supersha » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:39 pm

P.s haha see I forgot my 2nd part to jane im doing that as well, falling, losing my balance id say most of it is like miss judging things, iv opened my freezer into my face so many times, missed the stair, gone to put my hot cup of tea on the table and missed the table etc its doing my head in :-D xx
supersha
UKFM Member

Postby shrimp » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:22 pm

yes me too - i dont touch the oven anymore too dangerous for me ...my fog gets worse and i am starting to call my twins the wrong names, they ask me for something and it doesnt go in and then they ask me again and i stare blankly at them as sometimes i have no idea what they are talking about - ie about a certain book, clothes...
i too havent been on here for ages, just still trying to get my head round fibro even tho diagnosed 3 yrs ago...too many new things crop up and then its antoehr lot of stuff to try and work your way thru.....
xxx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby carol odonnell » Thu May 03, 2012 7:04 pm

Thank goodness lots of you are just like me and I not alone, I feel so stupid with the things I do especially when there are other people about and I act like a child that doesnt know any better, also for a while I was starting to think I had start of demensia! That was until I got my diagnosis and found out about memory loss fibro fog etc; its so good to know I'm not alone :-) :-) :-) :crazy:
carol odonnell
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems