IBS like stomach virus/bug/something else.

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

IBS like stomach virus/bug/something else.

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:42 am

Asking here as I don't know where else to ask and I don't think it's worth a doctors appointment.

I recon around the same time my partner and I started suffering form stomach issues. Although I thought I was lactose intolerant before we got together, a year with light usage and I seem"cured."
He went to his doctor and was given "kolanticon" I didn't bother as I thought it was just some food issues coming back. Mine got worse so then went and got diagnosed with IBS- month or two trial and error on drugs. His has recently gotten worse and he's also been diagnosed with IBS, well currently it's at the "take these and see if they improve" stage.

My worry is that maybe there's a bug (as in an actual living bug) or virus that we could've passed on to one another causing something that mimic IBS?

Looking back on my life and my stomach issues (and everything that happens afterwards) there's signs to suggest I've been suffering for a long time, but the situation is still enough to raise a questionable eye brow at it.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Re: IBS like stomach virus/bug/something else.

Postby denys » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:30 am

I think you might need a trip to the docs anyway, its quite possible its something else but you would have to explain that both your symptoms seem to be running in tandem and then I suppose go through the barrage of tests to show what it is.

Its got to be worth checking out though cos if it is a bug, taking IBS meds arent going to do you any good :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Hope you get it sorted out soon :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby ITbird » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:25 am

Hi

Just read this and thought of my sister who has ad terrible stomach symptoms for years also.

She has just been diagnosed with a bug called helicobacter pylori. It's a bug that everyone has in their stomach but when it is triggered/inflamed or something then you get the symptoms.

It is treatable with aggressive antibiotics. A 2 week course I think. I think that it becomes activated following a bout of gastroenteritis or stress. I don't know all the details sorry, but just google it.

Like everything it could be loads of other things too so still best to see the gp and get some bloods etc. A lactose free diet wouldn't do any harm I'm sure as long as you are still getting your calcium from other sources.

Good luck!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Fletch x
ITbird
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi
It might be worth asking your Gp to do some bloods test to see if anything shows up?

Hope you get some answers soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:43 pm

I think I have had the helicobacter test done. And I've had so many other blood tests done since going to the doctors about it I'm sure something would've been picked up.
The tablets do work but just like any long term/lifetime illness it can flair-up.

The next time I am there I'll try and remember to ask just feels a bit pointless to make an appointment just to ask.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Does your surgery do telephone consultations if so it may be easier to do it this way :fingerscrossed:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:50 pm

No, well don't think they do.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby Woodentop » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:51 pm

I have had IBS for a while - even as a child I would react to certain foods - and now with fibro my symptoms are worse. A while ago I ended up in bed with what I thought was a stomach bug, no sickness or anything but really excruciating waves of pain. A few weeks later it happened again so I realised it probably wasn't a bug. A friend told me it could be just be really bad IBS so the next time it happened I took Buscopan which I have been prescribed by the doctor for my IBS and it actually took most of the pain away. I never knew that IBS could cause pain that bad but if I start to get even mild twinges now I take the tablets straight away and it helps a lot.
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:32 am

I get IBS too and it's usually certain foods or stress that causes mine.I was tested for helicobacter pylori and also other parasites like worms when I went to the Drs in the first place but I was negative for all.Garlic, onion, excess of dairy and if coupled with stress as well can make things bad for a few days.Trouble is so many things have garlic in as a spice these days s it is hard sometimes to avoid and I LIKE it unfortunately :-? I also believe that as we get older our bodies can't cope the same as when we were young as I didn't suffer with this until a couple of years ago (48 now ).
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 am

this is just another thing we have to worry about, i am fed up of taking stuff and worrying what is or isnt comign out of my bum and in what condition.

i have been off my gluten/lactose free diet this past wweek as have been really fatigued and in pain - resorting to odd choc bar, cups of tea - no flapjack or much fruit in the house, and i have really noticed the difference.

i think if i had to go to work i wouldn;t want to as i would be worried about having an accident.

it is horrible and another thing to worry about and keeping clean. along wiht weight gain, pain etc.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby lolabolla » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:51 am

IBS is the main reason why I went sick from work. I could be with a client and the next thing I knew I just 'had' to excuse myself and rush to the loo, not very proffesional!

Working in a financial and secure environment I had the added problem of getting through 3 security doors befor I could get to the staff loo. I just felt so embarresed to mention it to management, though I can now freely talk about it.

I was waiting at the train station on Friday night to collect my son when the urge to 'go' just hit me. I only just managed to get to the loo befor I had an accident, it seems to be getting worse, I must mention it next time I see my GP.

I honestly think that it is the IBS that is causing my increased anxiety attacks when out in public, maybe I should start a diary.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems