Dry Mouth, throat and eyes

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dry Mouth, throat and eyes

Postby lullabybunny1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Hello

I don't post much but was hoping to get some help :-?

I have a dry mouth, throat and eyes, i bought a spray called Glandosane for my mouth and its not really helping. I lose my voice after a short time of speaking because its so dry, i find it hard to swallow, i have terrible mouth ulcers and i think my teeth are decaying! I brush them everyday, always have done but the dentist accused me of not brushing them, i explained i do and that its not my fault and ended up crying. I haven't been back since and it was a few years ago, I know thats not going to help but my mouth just hurts so much and my jaw hurts when i open my mouth (TMJ), i can't think of anything worse than seeing a dentist.

Anyway this isn't about the dentist, its about my dryness. Do you know what it could be and what i can do?

Thank you
lullabybunny1
UKFM Member

Re: Dry Mouth, throat and eyes

Postby shazq » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi
It could be a side effect from your meds causing the dry mouth.? Have you had bloods taken to check your thyroid? as that can also cause affect mouth/throat/eyes

I keep getting sore throats and dry eyes but my thyroid were border level but its always worth getting them checked as not everything is down to fibro.

Mouth washes can help with ulcers, the chemist will be able to tell you a good make and what gels to use.

Hope it eases soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Throat spray wise I've always found Difflam to be the best one, linky to some info about it http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/difflam- ... _2363.html It can help with mouth ulcers as well as sore throats.

For your dry mouth, have you had your blood sugars checked??? Just asking as because last year I was having problems with a dry mouth, when I went to see about it, after the usual sort of tests, it came up that I have diabetes and a dry mouth can be one of the indicators for it.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lullabybunny1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:43 pm

I have a blood sugar monitor and it's always been ok.

I've had loads of blood tests done, not sure what i've been tested for :/ I was told i had been tested for Sjorgen's syndrome but i didn't have the test where they put something on your eye, it was a blood test, so i don't know :/
lullabybunny1
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi
It might be worth you going back to your GP to find out what you have been tested for and ask for more bloods to be done. :goodluck1:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby make a wish » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 am

Do you have dry gritty eyes as well as dry mouth. This is a sympton of Sjogren Syndrome (as well as other ailments). Would be worth going back to your GP and just raising the question. Its one of those autoimmune diseases that you just have to live with, but medication can relieve some of symptons. Good luck
make a wish
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:30 am

my mouth is so dry tonight as well. just had 2 glasses of squash adn gave in in the end and got up and made a cup of tea.

will see about bloods for thyroid as have had other isssues such as weight gain, fatiuge as common in fibro as well.
:-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Salgor » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:45 pm

My mouth is very dry most days, although as it happens not quite so bad today. Sometimes my eyes are very gritty during the day as well as in the morning. When I wake up in the morning my mouth feels as though it has been superglued together. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that this is a symptom of Sjogren Syndrome. What is this and is it commonly connected to FM?

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby make a wish » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi Salgor
Sjogren (said as showgrin) syndrome is an autoimmune condition. You can find many sites on the internet that will explain it. My GP said that this can run alongside FM as is the case with many other autoimmunes. But I wonder in my case whether the dry mouth is due to the amis I am taking for FM at the moment. Suppose time will tell. Hope this helps :goodluck1:
make a wish
make a wish
UKFM Member

Postby Salgor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks make a wish

I will have a scout around google and see if I can find anything out. I also suffer from diabetes and underactive thyroid which are also auto immune diseases so I am wondering if these can be connected.

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems