Histamine reactions related to Fibro?

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Histamine reactions related to Fibro?

Postby Sazzle » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:51 pm

The Summer of 2010 I had 2 reactions which I thought were allergic reactions.

First one started early hours of the morning. Woke up and throat felt scratchy and dry, each time I swallowed it got worse. Then the soles of my feet and palms of my hands felt really hot and itchy. I got up and made myself a cup of herbal tea as thought maybe was getting a cold. Palms were a deep read and itching and it started to go up my wrists. Took a cetirazine (antihistamine) drank my tea and went to bed. Was fine a few hours later.

Second one exactly a month later. Had been out wandering round the local lake. At about 7pm my hands started itching again, throat went funny. Rash this time spreading quicker up my arms. Quickly took an antihistamine even though had taken one in the morning anyway. Ended up calling an ambulance as started wheezing. Nausea and associated gastric problems! Big purple blotches all up my arms and legs. 3 hours in A&E being observed and sent home.

Allergist bloke said it wasn't an allergic reaction as there was no connecting factors, couldn't have been environmental or foodstuffs. He said it was a histamine reaction but not as a response to an allergy. He did ANA blood test which came back negative. He did some basic allergen tests with the blood and that came back negative apart from weeny reactions to tree and grass pollen and house mites.

Beginning to think it is all Fibro related.
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Re: Histamine reactions related to Fibro?

Postby Adele » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:56 pm

hi. i don't know if there is a link to fibro but the symptoms you describe can be a reaction to opioid painkillers. in my case i have benodryl on prescription which i take twice a day. opioids can also cause fluid to leak into the lungs which causes wheezing and shortness of breath.

i have also had an unrelated anaphylactic reaction before and i do have allergies. if symptoms start it is better to take a short acting antihistamine rather than a slow release one that lasts 24 hours as it takes too long to get into the blood. if my throat starts to swell i will take a double dose to stop things before they start.
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Nellyphant » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:24 am

I've had the hand thing twice before. Both times in the town not in near fields like where I live. Quite scary, hands got really swollen and had to take rings off really quick. Luckily as I was in town I was able to buy some anti-histamines and that calmed it down. No idea what it was though, didn't go to GP about it as I have no faith in mine now as he is as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby Sazzle » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I have the most amazing GP. He is adorable, always puts the smile back on my face, tells me a dirty joke if I look sad. I went to see him shortly after the hospital visit. He said "so what can I do for you today" so suggested he read the hospital report. He was like "oh no better get you seen then" and had an appointment through pretty smartish after that. The allergist wasn't that much use though, I had a copy of the letter he sent to my GP which basically said he could find no cause. He sent me a follow up appointment but I didn't go as from his letter there seemed little point. The audiologist I saw was a little better. Ruled out inner ear problems for the vertigo but gave me some exercises to do to retrain my brain! Sometimes connected with migraines and it knocks the balance bit in your brain. Hmm bet that is tied in with the fibro too. All coming together now, all these little separate bits are getting the fibro stamp. What a varied and colourful illness we share!
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems