Hypermobility and fibro

For all your questions and experiences of illnesses associated with FM e.g. thyroid, IBS, TMJD etc.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hypermobility and fibro

Postby blueeyes64 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:47 am

I took my son for a hospital appointment this week for his reflux and swallowing problems and while we were there I mentioned that he had some trouble with his joints with pulling muscles especially in his ankles, knees and shoulders.I thought that for a boy of 12 it was unusual.I got Him to show her how his elbows bend in an odd way too and said that my mum used to say I was double jointed as I could bend into weird positions.My DD2 can touch her thumbs against her wrists too.She said that we probably had hyperexstensivity (same as hypermobility).She didn't seem to think anything needed to be done as regards it though.I have read that a lot of people with this also have fibro too, and that also some people are misdiagnosed with FM when really it is the hypermobility that is causing the pain later in life.

Because the joints are more lax it causes more wear and tear and looseness in the joints.Things like bursitis are common too , i had this in my knee and it caused extreme pain.I ended up having an op on it about a year ago after it swelled up and got infected and I was on intravenous antibiotics for 5 days.How do you know if this is fibro or hypermobility ? I have many tender points and lumps under my skin in many areas on my body which are painful if pressed.I think we only have a mild version of hypermobility though, not like Ehlers -Danlos which is a really bad form of it.Is there anyone else on here with hypermobility syndrome ?
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Hypermobility and fibro

Postby MonkeyFeatures » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:40 am

I have HMS but only quite mild & I suspect I've had it from my teens. I would say the pain from HMS is focused around my joints where as Fibro causes me a lot of nerve, muscle & ligament pain along with all the other symptoms (muscle fatigue, general fatigue, migraines, sleep issues etc). I also have psoriatic arthritis so it can be very hard to pin point at times exactly what is causing which pain! x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk! :)
I have Fibromyalgia, CFS/ME, HMS, Psoriatic Arthritis & Endometriosis. Yep I dont do it by halves!!

Mummy of 2 beautiful children My hubby is my rock!
MonkeyFeatures
UKFM Member

Re: Hypermobility and fibro

Postby adelesmith » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi I have HMS n fibro as far as i am aware there is no connection, but as HMS make u more suseptable to sprains etc u will feel these more because of the fibro. I have always found having HMS with fibro a mixed blessing as u tend to keep a little more flexibility than most fibro sufferers but also have more sparins and strains and as i end to sleep in abnormal/strange positions this makes me stiffer in a morning.

Also HMS is something you are born with it is not something that develops, it can be passed down my son is looking like he has it above waist but not in his legs.
adelesmith
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 am

iwas diagnosed with hypermobility at same time as my fibro, at the time didn't know anything about it other than i always knew i was double jointed at as a kid having read up on it since things make sense.

i have never broken a single bone in my body unlike some kids who have arms, legs etc in casts contstantly infact when i went to drs only time when have babies it was always no, no, no ......not even broken a bone fairly uneventful liife.

when i was prefnant with last child 9 years ago we went on holidays at 5/6monghts and i went over on my ankle, a cracked paving stone and hear this almighty snap - went to xray, nothing broken but was in agony probably sprain/torn ligament told worse than break. just realied now why i never broke anythign i guess.

when went for es amedical and she asked me about it i was nieve and when she asked how it affected i was clueless and just said well i can bend my thumb back, was not aware then of all the pain and joint issues.

but makes alot of sense now. is diffidcult when you have examinations though and if you can bend or stretch they don;t think there is anything wrong wiht you. before i had steroid injections in hips i had to hassl eher constantly because i wasn't stiff and she said i had a good range of movement - yests but not my normal range so that is the only problem i have had exaplinainag to medics who think if you can touch your toes or cross your legs with knees to floor you are fine physically.
:-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby lolabolla » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:35 am

I was diagnosed with Hypermobility at the same time as FMS by my rheumy.

I honestly thought from and early age it was just normal to be 'bendy and I used to love showing off my party tricks to school friends. I score very highly on the Beighton score which is used as a reliable test for Hypermobility.

From what I have researched it was not diagnosed as a syndrome untill 1967, as I was born in 1959 any sprains, tears, aches and a
broken arm in three places was just put down to childrens accidents and growing pains. I was an active child but could never run far as my ankles would 'go over' now I understand they were subluxing. I loved rollerskating and had so many sprained wrists I was forever at A&E.

Throughout my teens I continued to suffer sprains in my ankles but put that down to platform shoes. I visited my GP in my 20's with jaw pain and clicking, was told it's normal! Throughout my life I just learned to accept pain as normal and was told by my lovely father that it was 'normal too' it runs in the family, he suffered so much pain, in hindsight I now know that he must have had Fibro and HMS too but was never diagnosed.

My worse injury over the past couple of years was when I was wringing out a window cloth, I felt and heard something snap in my
wrist, attendended A&E and discovered I had torn ligaments in my wrist. It took 18 months for it to heal, it still pains me though.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:55 pm

I was diagnosed with hypermobility around that age, physio didn't help.
If he suffers from pains from experience please hassle doctors, but as a mother I'm sure you would anyway.
10years on and I'm much worse and been rediagnosed it as my cause of pain.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby Gill76 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 pm

I was diagnosed with the HMS quite a few years ago now (dates are in my signature) but when the Rheumatologist diagnosed the fibro, she did say to me that it's not uncommon to get secondary fibromyalgia. Wish I'd been told that a good few years ago!
Diagnosed HMS - 1996 ~ Diagnosed Fibro - April 2011
Gill76
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:26 am

Fibro and HMS/EDS go hand in hand a lot.

I have EDS and have passed it on to my kids (its genetic, if you have it you have had it since forever). My middle daughter has not only EDS but symptoms of fibro (though they won't diagnose the fibro). My kids are 3, 6 and 7 and they have had problems since birth with reflux, lax joints (although 2 were unusual and walked a lot earlier than normal), flat feet, joint pain, crap posture, inability to hold pens etc properly, sometimes they can't walk after waking up in morning, speech and language issues, continence issues blah, blah, blah............

Fibro symptoms are more muscular than joint orientated, sleep issues, IBS, excessive reaction to pain (like I can pat DD2 and she finds it so painful she cries so I have to be super careful), severe anxiety, concentration problems, fatigue, sensitivity to taste, noise etc etc etc............

Physio has been good reccomending exercises (which don't help) arch supports, back supports, special things to help with holding pens, DD2 has been held back a year and gets intensive speech and language support, DD1 gets extra speech and language support, slanted tables to reduce back pain, fatigue and pain.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Return to Associated and Other Health Problems